*Help please* Buying a new iMac to edit P4P 4k 60fps

So I'm correct then. Doesn't matter what you use if you're using them as proxys, so h264 proxys are fine. That's all I was trying to understand thanks.

if you want to edit your footage there is not a good idea do this
with any compressed distribution only codec (H264 or H265)
transcoding to prores is your friend

you can to with DJIs trancoding tool:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/inspire_1/DJI_Transcoding_Tool_v0.9.2.dmg

or spend 50 bucks for a really good software:
EditReady : Transcode Any Camera Source Without The Hassle
I'm probably going to get FCP X to edit my P3S 2.7k video. Would the native FCP X transcode-on-import handle this without having to buy this extra software?

I'm going to hold off on buying a new iMac bc they may come out with new ones this year and I can get the older model for a little less

The reality is any newer mac is more than enough for any of us. You can always expand and upgrade later on. However I like many chose to load up the computer on ram and memory. I would say buy the most you can afford.

I'm going to hold off on buying a new iMac bc they may come out with new ones this year and I can get the older model for a little less
Remember, if cost conscious, buy with the minimum memory config and then add third party memory such as from OWC. I have done this a few times and saved a good deal of money.

The reality is any newer mac is more than enough for any of us. You can always expand and upgrade later on. However I like many chose to load up the computer on ram and memory. I would say buy the most you can afford.
Only buy the memory you have to from Apple. It's overpriced. Add OWC memory to bring it to what you want. And can trade in any memory you need to remove.

iMacs aren't that upgradeable otherwise. You can't swap out the graphics card or add internal drives like the old Mac pros. So here I agree with your recommendation to seriously consider the graphics and central processor you buy. You can't upgrade those later. I maxed out on those. I hope it will last me almost 10 years like my last Mac Pro. So it's an investment.

BTW, I'm not a Mac fanboy. I've built my own windows machines for years. I switched to Mac hardware (still run a windows VM) and have been impressed with the build quality. They tend to last (my 2008 mac pro running strong but now under powered). But you pay top dollar. But at least I have a decent hope that I'll get some return if it lasts 9 or 10 years.

Reactions: DonJuanEstevan
Hi everyone! Happy New Year!

I need some help please.

My old iMac (2010) model is really struggling to edit 4k video in FCPX and won't even run Davinci Resolve or Colour Finale.

So... I've decided to bite the bullet and get a new one. I've done a fair bit of research but I want some of your opinions as to what you think of my potential next setup and if it will be good enough?

In particular, do you think the fusion drives will be ok or would I be better to look at flash drives? I know the fusion drives have a 128gb flash built in.

Please have a look at the below photo and your feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially if I have gone overboard and could save a few bucks. [emoji6]

956fbaad3e7541ded7b6642da54bb512.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Was reading your post and was curious about the same thing. Looking to bite the bullet and switch to Apple myself. Would be curious how you make out and hear your results and opinions of what you buy.

I'm probably going to get FCP X to edit my P3S 2.7k video. Would the native FCP X transcode-on-import handle this without having to buy this extra software?

H264 is not a problem to handle with FCPX - but H265 FCPX can´t to transcode

Was reading your post and was curious about the same thing. Looking to bite the bullet and switch to Apple myself. Would be curious how you make out and hear your results and opinions of what you buy.

I bought exactly what I posted but with a 1tb flash drive instead. It works flawlessly. Very impressed

Reactions: rlphoto69
I bought exactly what I posted but with a 1tb flash drive instead. It works flawlessly. Very impressed

I'm looking into an upgrade. My MacBook Pro has been trying to render a map using the argisoft photoscan program. Looks like it is an impressive program but it's been processing for 4 days straight now. If you get a chance download the free trial and see how it does. I'd love to hear your results

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl