help needed after DBS mod ( bad range )

Reaction score
hi guys I fitted a dbs mod to my controller the other day and now when I get about 300 ft altitude I lose all signal , iv not tested forward range so far mainly because of the no signal at 300 ft , cos I can manualy bring the bird down but at distance I would not know where I was ,

I get a warning saying signal lost with a return to home or a cancel button on my screen .

dose any one have any clue whats going on here as its now seeming like iv just wasted money on the mod

please help if you can
thanks

Hello,

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Lets see if we can help ya out. What model P3 and do you have pics of what was done inside the TX?

I have a p3 standard and I have no pics of the inside . I just followed the video as directed by DBS all was good inner cables all whent in fine and I put some hot glue to make them 100% safe from coming off as directed .

173e0d863a43f70659e9f7f5e0e59c3b.jpg
9c4e5190733863041e4cd7d34e60b7c5.jpg
6cbe4544a876e8e9184c2a55d48c2c63.jpg

Life's a journey not a destination

I can take it apart today and post inside pics if that helps . But like I said every thing was ok with the install

Life's a journey not a destination

Yes I had it out before and it was directly above me with the panel facing upwards towards it and. After 300 ft all signal gone

"Life's a journey not a destination"

Neil Cee

How far are you out when you go up and are you pointing the panel up at your bird ?
Good point, if your overhead it will have weak signal. That type of antenna is very "directional" more so than the OEM. You need to have the panel pointed in the general direction of the bird.

Reactions: dirkclod
I even tried yesterday changing the thing around so I could direct the antenna towards the bird . As its a directional aerial and this made no difrance at all hears what I did
d994ba7e61636b1781e5dda3a5f96511.jpg
f689cb34df249f56c46d3569f5af4d73.jpg

Neil Cee

So your flying straight up . Try flying out some and aiming at it and see if that don't help .
Like TJ said straight up is not gonna get you good signal .

I must admit I'm now kind of regretting doing it . Is there any way I can put a different antenna on the controller and just use the DBS one for the wifi ???

Liverpool England

Neil Cee

U can put a fpvlr on it
He would get a similar result as the DBS & FPVLR are very similar in results. I would like to see the cables on the inside of the TX.

Reactions: Flying Dutchman
Neil your work looks good but there's only one thing I can't see well and that's on the out side
The cable you have marked Aerial on your TX...you do have that hooked to port 1 on the panel right?

Neil your work looks good but there's only one thing I can't see well and that's on the out side
The cable you have marked Aerial on your TX...you do have that hooked to port 1 on the panel right?
yes mate its hooked up to port 1 on the rear of the panel and the wifi is in to ports 2 & 3

yes mate its hooked up to port 1 on the rear of the panel and the wifi is in to ports 2 & 3
OK ..It was hard to see . Your install looks good as you said so tell me how far can you go out .

OK ..It was hard to see . Your install looks good as you said so tell me how far can you go out .

im going down to the beach right now and going to take it up 50ft and see how far out I can get im expecting over 1600 ft which seems to be standard so il report back as soon as I have the results , but height isn't looking good like I said , SO WE SHALL SEE MY FRIEND

im going down to the beach right now and going to take it up 50ft and see how far out I can get im expecting over 1600 ft which seems to be standard so il report back as soon as I have the results , but height isn't looking good like I said , SO WE SHALL SEE MY FRIEND
Well good luck. Going straight up is the hardest thing to do with one and guess it'd the way the antennas are on the skids .
Will be watching :)
Your install looks good and other than you having a bum cable I don't know .

Well good luck. Going straight up is the hardest thing to do with one and guess it'd the way the antennas are on the skids .
Will be watching :)
Your install looks good and other than you having a bum cable I don't know .
I DO LOSE ALL SIGNAL wifi and controller signals they both go at 300ft high if that's helps . im just heading out now to do distance test back in 30

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers