Help me prep for a radio interview

Reaction score
A local radio station is handing out pork products next week as a holiday charity event. I've been asked to fly up and take some stills & video. Since this is a charity event, I'm not being compensated.

However, the radio station might ask me to do a short interview about drones. Having never done anything like that, I'd thought I'd ask y'all for some pointers.

Any tips, pointers, do's and don'ts would be appreciated, as I want to project all of us in the best light possible!

TIA!

Prylar Bek said:
what city?

Not that I think it makes any difference, but Des Moines, IA.

Just make sure that you do not think about all the people listening to you and that it's live on air!

So, what does Rush say? I haven't listened to him for 20 years.

480sparky said:
A local radio station is handing out pork products next week as a holiday charity event. I've been asked to fly up and take some stills & video. Since this is a charity event, I'm not being compensated.

However, the radio station might ask me to do a short interview about drones. Having never done anything like that, I'd thought I'd ask y'all for some pointers.

Any tips, pointers, do's and don'ts would be appreciated, as I want to project all of us in the best light possible!

TIA!

After spending 35 years as a broadcaster... My advice is remember to breath, be yourself, speak clearly, and have fun. :) Listen to the questions and answer honestly. If you don't have an answer, say you don't.

Before the show, ask him what he is going to ask!
Wait for him to finish the question before answering, be yourself and have fun!

Tell them they my fall in the classification of Drone, but we like to refer to them as quad or hex copters or multi rotor devices. Because so many uninformed people think drones only throw bombs.

It totally matters what city you are in and who your audience is. Having said that, try and be concise and honest in your answers. Short and sweet, and interesting. Street this is a hobby for most people and how the are being used in SAR ops as well as for photographing nature, etc.

Don't let your mind think about the crowd or the listening audience. I've been on TV twice (autographs will be for sale in the classifieds!) with the last time being a 30 minute show. It wouldn't bother me now, but boy did I keep going to drink water, over and over. It was a live show and I sat there 30 minutes watching others screwing up and that did not help at all!

I would talk about how fun the hobby is and I would keep coming back to that, such as night flying is fun, aerial photography is fun, FPV. I would definately get the point out there that these drones are much easier to fly than most RC crafts. That prior RC experience isn't necessary. The maximum flight times that are possible.

You might be asked about the negative media and news comments. I would say something along the lines of you need to be safe and responsible and that means not flying over crowds, invading one's property and privacy, etc.

Do what works best for you. For me, notes and too much rehearsing can detract from my performance.

Good luck, although I'm sure you will do fine.

Most likely, the interview will be recorded.

So, a city of 20% imbeciles and 80% geniuses west of the Mississippi needs a different answer than a city of 20% imbeciles and 80% geniuses east of the Mississippi?

480sparky said:
Most likely, the interview will be recorded.

So, a city of 20% imbeciles and 80% geniuses west of the Mississippi needs a different answer than a city of 20% imbeciles and 80% geniuses east of the Mississippi?
Good answer.

Here's how I would reply to the expected questions:
Safety: There are tens of thousands of these drones flying all over the world. Has there *ever* been a collision with an aircraft? Has anyone *ever* been seriously injured from one of these light drones falling out of the say, let alone killed?

On legality: Flying for hobby away from crowds and airports and below 400 ft is largely unregulated.

Privacy rights: We have the same privacy rights that we had before drones showed up. We have very well established and well understood privacy rights. Drones are a new technology, but this does not change the basic rights of privacy. None of the rules that relate to privacy have changed. The ability to violate those rules have changed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik