Help Me on this new journey

Reaction score
greetings,
so im finally ready to purchase. as a newbie i just dont know where to start. i've listed what i think i need to get started. can someone tell me if this is recommended? if there is another choice thats better or can be used differently? do i need that signal interferance thing to get started? any help will be greatly appreciated. im excited to get started just dont know where to start lol. dont let me username fool u.

oh and i do plan on customizing myself...with soldering ..yikes, im planning on following this guy. but if you have any other suggestions ill appreciate that too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8pqtEDuos

1.phantom 2
2. h3 3d gimbal
3. extra battery pack
4. immersion rc 600 transmitter (what exactly does this do)
5. iosd mini (what does this do)
6. black pearl 7in (is there a better option)

Welcome to the forum.

Check out the Immersion website for transmitter details. It goes on the phantom to transmit a merged video signal from the GoPro and the telemetry back to the recieiver in the Black Pearl. The dji website will tell you all about the IOSD. Like I said it produces telemetry e.g navigation info, battery state, satellite state, flight mode info... I would suggest that you do a lot more research yourself so you understand the bits. If you are ready to buy and don't understand what the components do then it is a recipe for disaster. I would recommend holding off for a while and gen yourself up a bit more first.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

yea welcome to PhantomPilots but I'm not sure you're in the right sub-forum.. this is for the H3-3D gimbal specifically.

so it sounds like you already understand the difference between the Vision and non-Vision Phantom 2 lines and you're going with the non-Vision because you want to run your own GoPro. Some good news, you won't have to do any soldering that's an old video and now there's a pre-made plug and play cable.

So you'll need to buy a Phantom 2 with H3-3D bundle. Combined with your own GoPro, that gets you up in the air recording cool videos. HOWEVER you have no mechanism for seeing live through the eye of the gopro to line up your shots at all. For that, you need to add what we call a FPV system to transmit live video signal from the Phantom down to your receiver on the ground. Specifically you'll want FPV in the 5.8Ghz range so that it does not interfere with your 2.4Ghz remote control of the Phantom (this is the same reason you don't want to fly with the gopro's wifi enabled.. 2.4ghz) Think of it like your own little private short range TV station.

an iOSD Mini is a device which sits in-between the video signal coming from the gimbal/Phantom and the transmitter. it overlays live telemetry data onto the FPV video feed (that you see on the ground) to provide a bunch of useful info such as compass, battery level, GPS satellites locked, distance from home point, speed, etc. you can have FPV without an iOSD, but for the extra $70 you really should just get one, especially considering it's plug and play now.

If you go with the ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter (which you should), here is a pre-made, plug and play cable for connecting the IRC transmitter & iOSD mini to the Phantom mainboard. The function of the ImmersionRC transmitter is (hopefully) obviously the device which actually transmits the video signal from the Phantom.
Note: you will indeed want to perform the "internal iOSD mini install" that is described in the first 2 minutes of the video you linked. move the connector up inside the body and now all your connections are nice and tidy up in the Phantom body.

now on the ground you need a way to receive that video signal right? There are a few LCD displays with a 5.8Ghz video receiver in them which can natively receive the video signal that the Phantom/IRC600mW is now transmitting. There's a 7 channel Black Pearl display (you do NOT want the 32 channel BP), or a Boscam/Neewer RX-LCD5802 that people say works fine. The Boscam is about $50 cheaper. Both of those displays have built in battery, but neither comes with a wall charger, so either order one when you buy or go to radio shack and buy a generic one that fits.

There are dip switches on the transmitter via which you select exactly which frequency the transmitter is using, and whatever display you get you must simply tune the display to the proper channel and voila! you're receiving the signal from the transmitter.

Now we need to talk about ANTENNAS for a second. the little stick antennas that come with the transmitter/receiver are crap you'll get very little range and they put out a linear signal pattern. You'll definitely want upgraded antennas for both the transmitter and receiver. If it's in your budget, this 3-antenna kit from FPVLRis basically the most premium set, you want to choose the SMA-MALE option because that fits the SMA-Female connector on the ImmersionRC. You get a nice omnidirectional pinwheel for the transmitter, and 2 for the receiver: a pinwheel (shorter range, omnidirectional) and a helix (super long range, directional =must point it at the phantom). With those antennas, you should be able to get excellent FPV at any operational range of your Phantom.

To address your other issues, yes you'll probably want another Phantom battery or 2 since each one will only last about 15-18 mins, it's nice to fly a few batteries before you need to worry about going to recharge.

You'll probably also want a mount so you can mount the monitor/display to your RC. the one everybody around here likes best is this one http://www.raveaerialvideo.com/product/ ... tor-mount/

you'll also probably want a lanyard since the RC + display can get a little heavy

"signal interference" there is a thing called an anti-interference board, it's a tiny little piece that sits in-line inbetween the H3-3D gimbal and the Phantom mainboard, and is highly recommended to install. Here is a video, you only need the first 1-2 minutes he shows how exactly to hard-mount that board to the Phantom mainboard it's very simple. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lihMnnwvQA
You may also want to pay attention to how he mounted the transmitter. you shouldn't mount it in the middle of the phantom because then you can't get to the battery release. mount it off to one side or diagonally. people often use outdoor double sided tape or 3m dual-lock. I also wrap around a ziptie just to be safe.

you know what QYV.. this is EXACTLY what i was seeking. an in depth and concise, all in one place intro on whats needed and whats its for. i totally understood everything. i come from a video editor background and this is all very new but very exciting. not that i didn't appreciate the suggestions, IRISHSIGHTS but i will be moving forward with my purchase but i will definitely read and do all my research to not have any major disasters. i really do appreciate the time and effort you took into making this post. thanks a bunch. Now i'll go see which monitors will work best for me. thanks again

QYV said:
yea welcome to PhantomPilots but I'm not sure you're in the right sub-forum.. this is for the H3-3D gimbal specifically.

so it sounds like you already understand the difference between the Vision and non-Vision Phantom 2 lines and you're going with the non-Vision because you want to run your own GoPro. Some good news, you won't have to do any soldering that's an old video and now there's a pre-made plug and play cable.

So you'll need to buy a Phantom 2 with H3-3D bundle. Combined with your own GoPro, that gets you up in the air recording cool videos. HOWEVER you have no mechanism for seeing live through the eye of the gopro to line up your shots at all. For that, you need to add what we call a FPV system to transmit live video signal from the Phantom down to your receiver on the ground. Specifically you'll want FPV in the 5.8Ghz range so that it does not interfere with your 2.4Ghz remote control of the Phantom (this is the same reason you don't want to fly with the gopro's wifi enabled.. 2.4ghz) Think of it like your own little private short range TV station.

an iOSD Mini is a device which sits in-between the video signal coming from the gimbal/Phantom and the transmitter. it overlays live telemetry data onto the FPV video feed (that you see on the ground) to provide a bunch of useful info such as compass, battery level, GPS satellites locked, distance from home point, speed, etc. you can have FPV without an iOSD, but for the extra $70 you really should just get one, especially considering it's plug and play now.

If you go with the ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter (which you should), here is a pre-made, plug and play cable for connecting the IRC transmitter & iOSD mini to the Phantom mainboard. The function of the ImmersionRC transmitter is (hopefully) obviously the device which actually transmits the video signal from the Phantom.
Note: you will indeed want to perform the "internal iOSD mini install" that is described in the first 2 minutes of the video you linked. move the connector up inside the body and now all your connections are nice and tidy up in the Phantom body.

now on the ground you need a way to receive that video signal right? There are a few LCD displays with a 5.8Ghz video receiver in them which can natively receive the video signal that the Phantom/IRC600mW is now transmitting. There's a 7 channel Black Pearl display (you do NOT want the 32 channel BP), or a Boscam/Neewer RX-LCD5802 that people say works fine. The Boscam is about $50 cheaper. Both of those displays have built in battery, but neither comes with a wall charger, so either order one when you buy or go to radio shack and buy a generic one that fits.

There are dip switches on the transmitter via which you select exactly which frequency the transmitter is using, and whatever display you get you must simply tune the display to the proper channel and voila! you're receiving the signal from the transmitter.

Now we need to talk about ANTENNAS for a second. the little stick antennas that come with the transmitter/receiver are crap you'll get very little range and they put out a linear signal pattern. You'll definitely want upgraded antennas for both the transmitter and receiver. If it's in your budget, this 3-antenna kit from FPVLRis basically the most premium set, you want to choose the SMA-MALE option because that fits the SMA-Female connector on the ImmersionRC. You get a nice omnidirectional pinwheel for the transmitter, and 2 for the receiver: a pinwheel (shorter range, omnidirectional) and a helix (super long range, directional =must point it at the phantom). With those antennas, you should be able to get excellent FPV at any operational range of your Phantom.

To address your other issues, yes you'll probably want another Phantom battery or 2 since each one will only last about 15-18 mins, it's nice to fly a few batteries before you need to worry about going to recharge.

You'll probably also want a mount so you can mount the monitor/display to your RC. the one everybody around here likes best is this one http://www.raveaerialvideo.com/product/ ... tor-mount/

you'll also probably want a lanyard since the RC + display can get a little heavy

"signal interference" there is a thing called an anti-interference board, it's a tiny little piece that sits in-line inbetween the H3-3D gimbal and the Phantom mainboard, and is highly recommended to install. Here is a video, you only need the first 1-2 minutes he shows how exactly to hard-mount that board to the Phantom mainboard it's very simple. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lihMnnwvQA
You may also want to pay attention to how he mounted the transmitter. you shouldn't mount it in the middle of the phantom because then you can't get to the battery release. mount it off to one side or diagonally. people often use outdoor double sided tape or 3m dual-lock. I also wrap around a ziptie just to be safe.
Way good post there QYV! I wish I had as much time on my hands as you do. This should be a sticky imo! Well done.

yea I really should write a formal post that can be stickied heh

good evening...

so i've finally received almost everything from above (the boscom is on its way here - apparantly it was coming from china and i didnt even noticed when i purchased lol)
so i just wanted to ask about the customization process before i go ahead and start. i will re read everything above and have all the videos laid out and ready as i go but just wanted to know if there was anything else i needed to pay attention to before starting.

i figured if there is a concise and detailed installation write up on modification it could possibly be a sticky as well. just a thought.

here is what i plan on doing over the weeks end.

1. installing IOSD, Zenmuse Gimbal with new plug and play wiring (is there an updated video with instructions for plug and play cables that dont require soldering?)
2. installing interference board (if it arrives in time - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lihMnnwvQA)
3. attaching the premium antennas that was recommended (is there a video for this?)
4. install transmitter and adding shielding to the exposed wiring as seen here at 2:46 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8pqtEDuos
5. setting up the boscom monitor
6. tuning and calibrating (this would defintely need a video recommendation)

thanks again. and as always i do appreciate any and all help/suggestions

did you indeed get that pre-made, plug and play cable that I linked in my post? If so you can disregard #4 about adding shielding.

#1: I'll link you to this video- he's installing the ImmersionRC transmitter but the principles are exactly the same including moving the CAN-BUS connector up inside the body for an internal iOSD Mini mount. most people then place the iOSD mini inthe front of the Phantom like in front of the battery, there's a perfect little space for it in front of the main board. also don't forget to get the iOSD Mini assistant software and check for a firmware update - you have to physically plug the USB into the iOSD mini itself, and fire up the Phantom so it gets power.
*NOTE: I disagree with the video where he mounted the transmitter. He mounts it directly in the middle pointed straight out the back - this can cause problems with you getting your battery out. If you want to mount the transmitter facing straight out the back, simply do it to one side or the other so you can reach the battery release things easily. OR just mount the transmitter diagonal like I did.
FPVandRCant1.jpg

#2: I agree with the location mounting the H3-3D anti-interference board as shown in the first minute of that video. it's very simple. btw that board should come with the H3-3D

#3: you literally just screw the antenna into the connector on the transmitter and receiver. for my TS352 and RX-LCD5802, the TS352 is actually a different gender so you can't accidentally plug one of the receiver antennas into the transmitter, it simply won't go. just don't force anything. also the TRANSMIT pinwheel (assuming you got the FPVLR kit?) should be longer than the receiver pinwheel. the helix is obviously a receiver antenna only
*note: NEVER let your FPV transmitter (the Boscam) get powered up with no antenna attached! that will fry the internals of the transmitter almost immediately

#4: covered above... this doesn't apply to you if you're simply installing the pre-made cable. follow the video in #1 and remember it doesn't matter which leg you thread the cables through... do it whatever feels right for you and looks good

#5: do you understand the different channels and how they work? You set the channel on the transmitter by some dip switches. make sure you understand what channel you're using on the transmitter let's say channel 1 - 5705. now you just need to tune the receiver to the proper channel bank and channel that matches 5705. for my RX-LCD5802, it's bank C channel 1

#6: no such thing. as long as the channels match, you're done. if they don't match, you won't get any signal at all.

thanks again for an amazing tutorial...
i do feel confident with this and the sources provided..

i got EXACTLY eveything you mentioned in the previous post. so yes i got the plug and play cable.
regarding the tranmistter, they sent me a 250mw transmitter NOT the 600mw by accident and when i told them they told me to keep it and the 600mw is in the mail. so i have two...shrug lol

regarding #1------ thanks. i've seen somewhere about the placement of the transmitter. will also keep that in mind.
regarding #2 ----- I didn't get an anti interference board with my H3-3D gimbal. it was purchased seperately.
regarding #3------ I did get the FPVLR bundle kit antennas (shits all hand made, thats pretty awesome). thanks for the note about powering up
regarding #4------ thanks
regarding #5------ i assume its the same concept as my wireless mics and receiver. find your desired channel, then corresponding frequency on the receiver. I'll definitely figure it out. thanks
regarding #6-------thanks

again. i really do appreciate it. i'll make sure to post some pics/video

QYV; Thanks for some great posts, agree with IrishSights should be made a sticky. Cheers.

thegenius; your heading in the right direction, keep reading/learning it's a steep curve but well worth it. Safe flying, cheers Mark

good afternoon..

so the modifications has begun.

sidenote: im finding removing the very little screws extremely difficult. the ones on the outsides 2 got stripped and set me back 3 days and i spent 2 hours removing one on the can bus on the leg. anyways. im on my way and encountering another issue.

so here are the issues im having.
1. when i plug the usb into the mini iosd and into my computer its not recognizing my phantom. nothing is happening to be frank. i've tried downloading the mac 3.2 version of the assistant but it crashes everytime i try to open so im using the 3.0 version and it still doesnt read. can you shed some insight on what i may be doing wrong?
(see images below of the installation)

please note that i havent received my boscom monitor as yet...could this be the issue? i also am not sure which antenna to place on the transmitter. it came with three and the two that seems the logical one differ slightly. one has an "L" shape to it the other is straight. can you advise on this. i didn't turn it on without one connected i simply used the one that came with the purchase.

i have looked for some videos online and only found one in a nother language that i couldnt understand.

i think this is a good point to take a break and reevaluate. tanks again for any advice.

Attachments

• photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    381.7 KB · Views: 500
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    439.4 KB · Views: 465
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    404.3 KB · Views: 441
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    391.7 KB · Views: 433
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    417.7 KB · Views: 432
Excellent posts by QYV. A lot of effort gone into them and alway helping out new guys so thanks for that. Does not go unnoticed.

thegenius said:
good afternoon..

so the modifications has begun.

congrats! Don't worry about the screws on the CAN-BUS connector, you won't re-attach them later. I agree that a good, high quality screwdriver kit with the proper sizes is essential for removing screws so you don't strip anything. I personally find that removing the propellers and having the Phantom upside down on a surface where it won't slip easily works best, I can put a decent amount of downforce on the Phantom screws to get things out but indeed, be gentle. I almost stripped one of the tiny phillips head screws on the end of the arm recently.

1) for checking bios on the iOSD Mini you need the iOSD Assistant, not Phantom Assistant. I don't see a mac version of iOSD assistant on the DJI website, maybe I'm wrong? do you have a friend with a pc that can come help?

2) antennas: the antenna with the 90deg connector (L shape) is for the transmitter, so that the antenna can hang down below the legs and make a nice downward-facing signal towards the ground. Some notes:
-I personally leave the shitty stock antenna attached to the receiver when I'm transporting the phantom, so that the expensive antenna doesn't get damaged. I secure the FPVLR antennas when not in use
-depending on how you orient the transmitter, the antenna may hang down lower than the legs. be careful if you point the antenna straight down that you don't put the Phantom down on the ground and damage the antenna if it's pointing down lower than the legs

so far looks like you're doing great!

Pacific Barbarian said:
Excellent posts by QYV. A lot of effort gone into them and alway helping out new guys so thanks for that. Does not go unnoticed.

appreciate that mate! happy to help

ok...

so i installed paraells and windows on my machine...
downloaded all the software (i.e Rc, P2, IOSD )...

i connected the device first, then powered it up, then launched the software and its still telling me no device is connected.

i also tried the methods this video gave on calibration and still (device isnt connected)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2zNT6kHoEM

im not sure what im doing wrong.

i did however notice that this that i took off the leg and placed inside did have a little chip on it...yikes. (see pic below)
could this be the cause of this?

its just where one screw was broke off after removal.

tomorrow i will uninstall everything and try the calibration and see if that makes a difference..

thanks again

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 413
oh and if you can see the photo..its just one of the screw holes that broke a littler. its bottom right one...

one more thing i notice..
the software doesnt launch by itsself
i seems to get stuck on the launch and i have to press "skip"..

im running OSX 10.8.5 and pararell 10 with windows 8.1 (if thats of any importance)

that little tiny broken corner can't be the problem. did you install the DJI driver pack onto your "windows" machine? I have a mac at work running parallels and sometimes USB devices are funky on it. I'd still try to be using an actual windows pc

the fact that you have to hit "skip" means that the software is not seeing the device (whichever it is) connected. If windows properly detects a Phantom, RC, or IOSD it will just launch straight into the software

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers