Help me! At Apple store running through their inventory. This is unreal.

FINALLY WORKING!

I think I have not only the solution but the mix of what led to the problem for myself and others.

Will post when I am home. Still having range issues but it's connecting now for the moment.

Still not getting the range I am on my other P4 but when I get a chance, I'll put them head to head in a more open space. Also the gimbal does make a little bit of a sound that is weird when I tilt the bird up and down. Has anyone has this happen and does it lead do badness? This is on the second one.

EDIT: Something else is weird. 5336 mah is the MAX capacity on the NEW battery which is LESS than the any of my older and used batteries. That's below the actual amount listed on the battery.

All of my other bats have more, what gives on that? Am I looking too far or is that weird?
I think it will level out as you cycle the battery a few times. Man you have a cool job! Must be nice living in California and hanging with the celebrities, at the pool drinking and flying all day! Lol I kid, little, I'm still envious though!
The gimbal issue is likely the ribbon cable from what I've been reading, just to be sure though, make sure all the screws are tight as it seems they had a bad run of torque settings. Dji ph4 Gimbal Screaming issue !!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Myetkt
It's all so scary. I am now going through the process of trying to get a new Phantom because I have a squealing gimble on startup, it doesn't seem to affect things and the Phamtom flies fine otherwise. Now I'm scared that if I do get a replacement it could be worse than the one I have. Poor thoughts to have when you should be exchanging for something brand new and defect free.

Mine does a little chirp on start up. I think my first one did too. Otherwise it's fine. Didn't know about the anti static sticker. I took it off.

Mine does a little chirp on start up. I think my first one did too. Otherwise it's fine. Didn't know about the anti static sticker. I took it off.
That's not a fact. There is some question to that. The only thing that leads me to possibly believe it should be there is the DJI unboxing on their site tells you all the stickers to remove and doesn't mention that one. It might just to prevent nicking the gimbal on strange on angles where it hits it. Not sure.

Well I have my replacement on its way. Be a week and a half or so to get here but I'll update as to how my new one acts, ie. any gimbal sounds etc.

They can only download apps to their computers and even then there is like one person with the passcodes to do it.
Your problem is probably with the DJI go app they just recently upgraded it. Go to the DJIA web page login to the phantom 4 and the update tab. Load your DJI go app from that application not the Apple App Store.
Nobody in the store has the Apple ID to test another iPad.

As it stands, there is a VERY BAD run of P4 running around in this wave. My first one worked and works great but I just went throug, count them, 5 different units until I found one that just got me back to the point where the Mini still won't connect but I am at a complete loss as to what that is.

The whole inventory at the Beverly Center (and we looked under the handle) to see if it had the sticker , none did.

Also not where the bats are to be held there is an extra piece of styraphom me to put on top of them but ther are zero stickers.

By the way people, the orange sticker on the gimbal is definitely NOT a sticker and should not come off. It's there for anti-static. Of course DJI, doesn't tell you this anywhere including in their "manual".

I was just done and said just return it and he said just take it home and try to figure it out with the mini, I'll check the range on the iPhone.

I'm thinking there is a setting in my account or something because it's doing it with several different birds.

Anyway, before I could get back to square one where the mini doesn't work but the iPhone does, I had to go through an unreal amount of P4s. I could elaborate on the OP but the fact is one screeched so loud people in a loud Apple Store turned their heads. And then one had a stuck card in it. NONE had the Lexar but the lesser rated Sandisk Extreme and one with an unnamed Panasonic. It's truly unreal.

The dude that helped me so much begged me to go try and after all his help I couldn't say no but until someone tells me why the Mini won't work with it, I'm just gonna let it sit in the box until I either return it or go get a new iPad (they said I could exchange it for the pro 9.7).

My theory is these are returbs because they are GETTING A LOT of returns but the other side of the coin is that the P4 is BY FAR DJI's most commercially successful UAS.

Odd that it could also be their undoing as the person that buys the one with the screech, if they don't know, they fly it for a month or so and it will lock up.

The one I currently have had a major horizon issue before my calibs but that fixed it all.

Now I want to not look at a UAS until my next "have to". I have zero faith in this right now. Again, expect problems with early adoption but this is just nutty.

What Class are those 100W Lasers?
Hey man, sorry. I didn't see this or I would have answered. I would have to ask my production designer but I want to say class 2 but I could be completely wrong.

I have a lighting tech and a production designer that would know all the facts about it. While I have a pretty good amount of knowledge in the intelligent lighting (show production) arena, lasers and the like, while being one of my favorite visuals in the world, is not an area of expertise of mine.

I can assure you that what we do is safe for all involved if your concern is that.

I think it will level out as you cycle the battery a few times. Man you have a cool job! Must be nice living in California and hanging with the celebrities, at the pool drinking and flying all day! Lol I kid, little, I'm still envious though!
The gimbal issue is likely the ribbon cable from what I've been reading, just to be sure though, make sure all the screws are tight as it seems they had a bad run of torque settings. Dji ph4 Gimbal Screaming issue !!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Thanks man, I'll read that article later for sure!!!

And by the way, hanging with celebrities is a VERY overrated experience. Almost without fail, and with some great exception, celebrities, especially actors, are the craziest people you would ever want to meet.

It's not even close to as glorious as you would imagine and probably a lot less than you do but there are definitely moments where I step back and remember to enjoy my blessed situation.

All glory upwards. Thank you though. No need to be envious about anything, I promise. I'm sure you have a million things id be envious too.

Reactions: flpholt
Hey man, sorry. I didn't see this or I would have answered. I would have to ask my production designer but I want to say class 2 but I could be completely wrong.

I have a lighting tech and a production designer that would know all the facts about it. While I have a pretty good amount of knowledge in the intelligent lighting (show production) arena, lasers and the like, while being one of my favorite visuals in the world, is not an area of expertise of mine.

I can assure you that what we do is safe for all involved if your concern is that.
Sounds like it's really going to be something to see, all those drones and lasers and stuff. Can't wait to see some clips of the filming.

I think that the obsession with whether it has all possible stickers is misplaced. Mine shipped the first week direct from DJI, and only had a couple of stickers on the CA sensors, plus the sticker on the gimbal. That is clearly nothing to do with static, either, since it is plastic covering a polymer part, and presumably would not have an orange pull tab if it were meant not to be removed.

A breath of common sense among a bunch of speculation, nonsense and ridiculous anxiety.

I'm waiting for V2. I returned V1 from DJI unopened because of the unrelenting issues associated with this new release!

I've had zero issues, other than a few unsuccessful firmware updates: most likely due to slow servers in China.

Mine has flown without a hiccup since day one. It is easy to fly, rock stable, no jello whatsoever in video. Battery life, range impressive.

No screechy gimbals, nada. Almost as if apple had designed, developed and manufactured.

Reactions: sar104
I think that you are getting a misleading impression of the extent of the problems from a small, vocal minority who are actually having issues, many (though not all, obviously) of which are easily fixed simply by following instructions.

Amen. Read the instructions. Take a big breath. Know your limitations. If you can't figure out some of the rudimentary instructions perhaps it's best to not become one of many newbie drone pilots who crash and destroy their new drone in the first week of owning one.

Same here, got mine from DJI yesterday, the version that has marks on the skids to help with attaching the gimbal clamp
Are there any P4's where the skids don't have the gimbal lock indentations?
Both of mine have had them, one direct from DJI, and one from Best Buy.

Last edited:
I think that the obsession with whether it has all possible stickers is misplaced. Mine shipped the first week direct from DJI, and only had a couple of stickers on the CA sensors, plus the sticker on the gimbal. That is clearly nothing to do with static, either, since it is plastic covering a polymer part, and presumably would not have an orange pull tab if it were meant not to be removed.
The orange tab clearly is not intended to be removed easily. If you manage to get it off, it comes off only with extreme difficulty, unlike every other sticker that is clearly supposed to be removed.

Last edited:
This is correct, the stickers are completely meaningless and should not factor in your decision making. DJI already confirmed elsewhere that multiple factories are involved in the production and there are small differences with regard to protective packaging and minor parts like the rubber on the legs having a groove or not...
If that is the case, I have had one screeching unit and one silent one, and both have the groove in the skid rubber for the gimbal lock.

Jeebus Mary and Joseph... Are you kidding me. We now have to have two iPads if we have two phantoms that is just ridiculous. I'm glad I have a shield to fall back on from my Air2. I might just about be finished with Apple.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
It's known as sand boxing! Keeps a perfectly working system on the P3P from being contaminated by stuff and updates that only relate to the P4, but have the potential to wreak havoc on both without sandboxing. I now have dedicated modded RC's and dedicated tablets for each. It's the only way,

The orange tab clearly is not intended to be removed easily. If you manage to get it off, it comes off only with extreme difficulty, unlike every other sticker that is clearly supposed to be removed.

I don't understand your point. I pulled the tab upwards and the sticker came off easily. How on earth did you manage to accomplish that only with "extreme difficulty"? And if it were not intended to be removed, why would it have a pull tab at all?

Reactions: frands1
It's known as sand boxing! Keeps a perfectly working system on the P3P from being contaminated by stuff and updates that only relate to the P4, but have the potential to wreak havoc on both without sandboxing. I now have dedicated modded RC's and dedicated tablets for each. It's the only way,

The conventional (and sensible) way to do that is to have aircraft-specific configuration files. Requiring completely separate installations running on different mobile devices seems an unlikely and unnecessary strategy, and I cannot imagine that it is intended.

I don't understand your point. I pulled the tab upwards and the sticker came off easily. How on earth did you manage to accomplish that only with "extreme difficulty"? And if it were not intended to be removed, why would it have a pull tab at all?
This

Although, I didnt remove mine... lol

what orange tab are you talking about?
picture please.

Yes in retrospect why would it have a pull tab. I don't believe the anti static nonsense. If it needed that capability they would have static dischargers, like the ones on airplane wings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myetkt

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31