Help make GoPro + FPV work better together

Reaction score
There is no reason the GoPro shouldn't be able to output anamorphic 16:9 SD video to properly fill the screens of FPV 16:9 monitors and goggles.

I submitted the feature request via their website but the more they hear about it the better the chances we have of getting it added.

You can help:

The feature request submit URL is here:

http://gopro.com/contact-us

My submission is pasted below. Feel free to copy/paste for quick submission:

------
SUBJECT:
Feature Request: anamorphic 16:9 SD output option

TEXT:
Hi, many of us are increasingly using GoPro cameras in aerial photography on remote controlled UAV's such as the DJI Phantom 2.

The LCD monitors and goggles used for First Person View (FPV) flying and video shot setup are almost all 16:9 aspect ratio.

However the GoPro SD output is what is being transmitted from the air to the ground and unfortunately the GoPro camera formats the SD output in 4:3 aspect ratio, expecting a 4:3 ratio monitor display. This leaves black bars and/or stretched video for flying and makes it more difficult to judge distances to objects in flight and looks generally poor.

It would be ideal if there were an option in settings to enable "anamorphic 16:9 SD output" which would solve the problem and fill 16:9 screens (monitor or goggles).

Thanks for any consideration you can give to this. The large and growing "drone" community worldwide would thank you!

------

What GoPro model do you mean? My GoPro 3+ BE will either output 4:3 or 16:9 ratio, dependent on the recording resolution selected.

Although there is just one pitfall:
If you are using an iOSD Mini in the signal chain between GoPro video and FPV tx the iOSD mini supports only 4:3 ratio and therefore will convert the 16:9 output from GoPro to 4:3, leading to black bars at top and bottom of the image.
I have asked DJI for supporting 16:9 on the iOSD mini but never got any response to this request.

Regards, Gerd

yea that's what I thought too... it's the iOSD mini that's the problem not the gopro

GerdS said:
What GoPro model do you mean? My GoPro 3+ BE will either output 4:3 or 16:9 ratio, dependent on the recording resolution selected.

If you are using an iOSD Mini in the signal chain between GoPro video and FPV tx the iOSD mini supports only 4:3 ratio and therefore will convert the 16:9 output from GoPro to 4:3, leading to black bars at top and bottom of the image.
I have asked DJI for supporting 16:9 on the iOSD mini but never got any response to this request.

Regards, Gerd

Correct, but most folks prefer recording HD 16:9 aspect ratio video and want to use FPV equipment as well at the same time.

Having the GoPro output 16:9 anamorphic composite video would allow 16:9 FPV equipment to expand the video to full screen in an aspect ratio native to the display device without distortion or unused display space, albeit not in HD resolution.

That's interesting, I don't get any black bars and get the correct shape picture through my Mini iosd. The OSD is a bit stretched, but that's all. I had to adjust the position of the graphics on screen on the osd, as my monitor over scans somewhat.

This is via the H3-3D gimbal, not the USB video output, so not sure if this makes a difference.

noiseboy72 said:
That's interesting, I don't get any black bars and get the correct shape picture through my Mini iosd. The OSD is a bit stretched, but that's all. I had to adjust the position of the graphics on screen on the osd, as my monitor over scans somewhat.

This is via the H3-3D gimbal, not the USB video output, so not sure if this makes a difference.

Your picture is likely stretched if you are using GoPro in the usual HD modes as what is coming in is definitely 4:3 aspect ratio unless you have LightBridge.

I never really thought about that.
just one of those things we've all had to deal with (or accept) all this time.

I actually just started shooting most of my video at 1440/24 (plus stills), which gives me a bit of flexibility in post, as well as fills my FPV screen properly.

If folks could send in the feature request above we can at least get it on the futures radar at GoPro.

I also posted on the GoPro Facebook page and DJI phantom users pages.

Guys, if the iosd mini is stretched there is a setting in the IOSD assistant for that. You need to download the software from the DJI site. Hook the IOSD up DIRECTLY to your computer. There is only one screen and it has a check box to check if the display is outside the screen width.

If that is what you are referring to it is very easy to correct.

hrosee said:
Guys, if the iosd mini is stretched there is a setting in the IOSD assistant for that. You need to download the software from the DJI site. Hook the IOSD up DIRECTLY to your computer. There is only one screen and it has a check box to check if the display is outside the screen width.

If that is what you are referring to it is very easy to correct.

OSD data isn't what's being referred to here, it's the FPV image itself.

hrosee said:

That will not help too much as the upper text line of iOSD is located partly outside of the visible part of a 16:9 video frame. So the 16:9 video gets converted to 4:3 by whomever and there are black bars at the bottom and top with the iOSD data displayed there.

Regards, Gerd

GerdS said:
My GoPro 3+ BE will either output 4:3 or 16:9 ratio, dependent on the recording resolution selected.

The GoPro (or any video device for that matter) can only output a standard def, 4:3 signal from the composite out. When a 16:9 recording mode is selected in the GoPro, a letterbox (top and bottom black bars) are added to preserve the 16:9 ratio when viewed via the composite output. The GoPro does NOT have the option to choose an anamorphic output (squeezed) vs. the letterbox output. When that composite signal is viewed on your widescreen fpv monitor, it is stretched to fill the 16:9 aspect ratio, resulting in a stretched image with bars at top and bottom. The iOSDmini does NOT add the letterbox. It outputs exactly what it is given with the addition of the telemetry overlay. If you need to prove it to yourself, take your osd out of the chain and see. The problem is exactly as damoncooper has described. There is no option in the GoPro settings to choose an anamorphic output. If there were, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I recommend everyone let GoPro know that we would like this ability added in a future firmware update.

With (rumors of) a new GoPro in the hopper, getting this feature request submitted might be timely.

Click the link above, let your vote for this feature count.

And thanks.

Response I received from GoPro:

-------------
Update for Case #1260240 - "Feature Request: anamorphic 16:9 SD output"

Hi Damon,

I would truly like to apologize for the delayed response. We’ve been experiencing a higher than normal email volume lately, and we’re doing our best to answer everyone as quickly as possible in the order in which we were contacted, so thanks for your patience.

When using the GoPro with your FPV system, the GoPro will always transmit a 4:3 aspect ratio VGA (640x480) analog signal, and luckily most FPV goggles are also 4:3 VGA. You can compare the different resolutions of the FatShark goggles this page:

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/blog/fpv-syst ... rison.html

There are a few Chinese goggles such as the Skyzone FPV goggle which utilize a 16:9 aspect ratio, but this essentially just spreading the same 640 pixels over a wider 854 pixel display, which then distorts the image.

Unfortunately any VGA signal will always be limited to a 4:3 aspect ratio, which is why you see black bars on top and bottom when shooting in 16:9 modes on your GoPro. Should you choose to use a digital system such as the DJI Lightbridge, you will have not only a higher resolution signal (1080p), but also the option to transmit 16:9 video.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions, and thanks again for your patience!

All The Best,

Sean F.

GoPro Support

gopro.com/support

And my reply:

--------
Hi thanks for the response. Unfortunately most FPV viewing is done via LCD monitor these days and they are 16:9 aspect ratio.

It is possible to put 16:9 anamorphic in a 4:3 aspect ratio SD video image. That is the feature request from the FPV community I am representing here.

I understand LightBridge addresses this with full HD output but as I mentioned below, but the cost of that system is prohibitive for most of the drone- adopting community right now, limits other uses such as GroundStation waypoint flying and requires a new separate non-DJI flight controller and setup which is an additional cost and barrier to adoption.

If GoPro would please consider this feature request, we in the RC aviation world would be very grateful.

Thanks again!

damoncooper said:
It is possible to put 16:9 anamorphic in a 4:3 aspect ratio SD video image.

Hopefully that will get forwarded to someone at GoPro who comprehends aspect ratios and resolutions! Thanks, damoncooper for keeping on top of this.

Mike said:
damoncooper said:
It is possible to put 16:9 anamorphic in a 4:3 aspect ratio SD video image.

Hopefully that will get forwarded to someone at GoPro who comprehends aspect ratios and resolutions! Thanks, damoncooper for keeping on top of this.

Response from GoPro:

------

Hi Damon,

Are you producing your final videos at 2.7k or 4k? If not, I recommend that you shoot using 1440p / 48fps and simply crop to 1080p in post-production. This will allow for full HD 1080p video capture (crop in post) at 48FPS and will also provide an anamorphic fullscreen video when viewing on a 16:9 FPV monitor (such as the BlackPearl or Boscam, which I own myself, and use on a daily basis).

Keep in mind that by nature, anamorphic signals are stretched and skewed to "fit-to-screen" by the display device, so they actually offer a less-accurate perspective for FPV flying. As it is, all 16:9 video modes on the GoPro are "letterboxed" within the 4:3 VGA signal in order to provide a distortion-free preview. The GoPro live-preview video-out function is designed to show you what your video will look like as it's being recorded to the microSD card, so an anamorphic preview signal with normal recording video is not likely to be implemented anytime soon, as it would be more confusing to the majority of users than it would be helpful.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, and safe flying!

All The Best,

Sean F.

GoPro Support

gopro.com/support

----------

A very interesting thread, thank you all.

A quick question though, is it better then to generally shoot in 2.7k/25fps? shoot in 2.7k 25fps and crop to 1080p? or to shoot in 1440/48fps and crop to 1080p?

Thanks again to everyone, really interesting, just had a GoPro less than 2mths now and love it.

Cheers Mark

I pretty much always record in 1080p medium FOV @ 60fps. I like the look of 60fps video from the Phantom, makes the movements smooth not choppy.
With 1080p/medium I rarely ever get legs in the video and the fish-eye effect is minimal. very little post-processing needed to make cool videos like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oiurNrS2Ow

damoncooper said:
Are you producing your final videos at 2.7k or 4k? If not, I recommend that you shoot using 1440p / 48fps and simply crop to 1080p in post-production. This will allow for full HD 1080p video capture (crop in post) at 48FPS and will also provide an anamorphic fullscreen video when viewing on a 16:9 FPV monitor (such as the BlackPearl or Boscam, which I own myself, and use on a daily basis).

Keep in mind that by nature, anamorphic signals are stretched and skewed to "fit-to-screen" by the display device, so they actually offer a less-accurate perspective for FPV flying. As it is, all 16:9 video modes on the GoPro are "letterboxed" within the 4:3 VGA signal in order to provide a distortion-free preview. The GoPro live-preview video-out function is designed to show you what your video will look like as it's being recorded to the microSD card, so an anamorphic preview signal with normal recording video is not likely to be implemented anytime soon, as it would be more confusing to the majority of users than it would be helpful.

Wow. There is so much wrong with the information in that reply. He doesn't get it. There must be a way to get past him to someone who understands what we're trying to accomplish. There wasn't a DVD player ever manufactured that didn't have an anamorphic output option. Why does GoPro think that it's unnecessary?!? And who manufactures 4:3 displays anymore? Why wouldn't they have anamorphic as an option? It's ridiculous!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik