Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Help Identifying A Drone Model

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ken Cruise, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Ken Cruise

Last Friday I was out at a gathering for my wife's company filming with my drone when out of the corner of my eye I see another drone flying right through the airspace I had called in. Earlier I notified Smith Reynolds and PTI Towers I would be operating in the area and gave GPS etc.. I am checking my footage but the drone I saw had all white lights and was sort of arrow shaped. It did not hover but just ran a straight line past the audience, past my drone and over some buildings. Had it been a moment later my drone would have been in the path of this other drone. The only people I noticed that arrived around the same flight time of this drone were the Police who remained in their vehicles but sat near my position.

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

3. Ken Cruise

Not quite but close. Is there any method/app/device for detecting other drones or RC devices that may be in the area? I would hate to lose another P3 to some Packing Foam/Computer Fan "drone".

4. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Eyes and ears are the best available so far.
    If there was any suitable tech solution .. you wouldn't want to pay what it cost.

5. Buef

While not detecting drones, you can detect wifi frequencies (beyond your smartphones range) in the area and strength. A cheap (10$) detector is like http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek®-CC308...sim_422_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1495M9WMC6VKW2QG1S92
    Many cheap options to detect wireless signals that could interfere. And yes, you can pay a lot to accurately detect and identify, but in some cases just knowing they are present and strong will suffice.