Help Guide A Wannbe Owner....

Reaction score
Been lurking and researching for a while and Ive decided to go with a DJI. I'm torn on which way to go though. Let me start by saying im not very technically inclined.

I really want to end up with a Phantom 2 but the exact model is the delima!!

Options I want....
1080P video
Gimble
FOV
Range Extender
Prefer using GoPro

FC40
Love the FC40 price but the 720P camera and flight time removes it from my list

Phantom 2
Great price but the cost of adding the FOV and the hassel of making it work with a GoPro may be too much for my skills

Phantom 2 Vision
Great setup with the 1080P camera, FOV, Range Extender....all it needs is a quality gimble. Some concern with quality of the DJI camera and its durability

Phantom 2 Vision +
Cover most of the basis but getting lots of reports of flimsy camera/gimble setup.

My ideal setup would be.....
DJI Phantom 2
GoPro Hero 3 Black
FOV capable (iphone)
Range Extender
Sturdy Gimble
Rotor Guards
Wider Stance Landing Gear

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Ready to jump but wanna make the right decision out of the gate.

Contact some of the dealers. They may offer a complete RTF P2 with FPV. I know here in the UK that can be done. It obviously cost a little more but you have no hassle if your not confident about putting one together.

Your post basically says you want the Phantom 2 Vision for GoPro so you've already solved your dilemma. Skip the prop guards. You don't say where you live but if there is a dealer nearby you could go and take a look at one upclose. In central Texas there is a dealer that will even let you fly one. I've had the P2V+ for a month now and fly it often. No runs, drips or errors. It is super easy to fly and takes great video and photos. I like to use Lightroom to tweak my photos so the ability to shoot in RAW was a big plus for me.

The P2V can also shoot in RAW, by the way. As can, I believe, GoPro Hero 3's... so that's really a moot point.

The P2V camera is actually super durable, and res is (arguably) full 1080p. The only shortcoming is it's only a single axis gimbal. Which isn't as bad as it sounds for still shots (you can easily yaw the Phantom itself around, acting as your second axis). But where a multi-axis gimbal really adds value is in flying cinematic shots... where the gimbal can stablize the movement. So I guess it all depends on what you want to do with your Phantom.

I went with the P2V solely for the price... and couldn't be happier. Eventually, I'll put a multi-axis gimbal on it, most likely... but that's just it... that option is available to me if/when I need it. Until then, I've saved money, and, as you say, the hassle of trying to assemble a platform from disparate components.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.