Help from my American buddy's who have flown with American Airlines

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this question has been asked a million times, but I wanted to know if anybody has flown with American Airlines and taken your Phantom as hand luggage? The reason I ask is that I've just contacted the airline and have been informed that I cannot take it as carry on as it's too big and won't fit in the overhead holdall. They've said I can take it as normal luggage and it will go in the hold but I'd rather take it as hand luggage.

The case I have is a B&W type 61 case which fully protects everything inside but do I risk having it go in the hold...or should I leave it safe at home???

My main flight with British Airways is fine, they accept the size of the case as hand luggage so it's just the connecting AA flight that's a problem...3 hour flight.

The case is 20 inches by 17 by 9, and it is only 2 inches too big :(

Reactions: dirkclod
Let them gate check it at the small connector as those overheads are tiny (Embraer jet?). The larger (usually Airbus) will hold it overhead. They will discourage you as they want everyone to bring less stuff onboard. At the very least, insist on gate checking it. That means they take it from you onboard and they put it below... when you land you collect it as you leave the jet. If it is a hard case like mine be sure to remove the pressure seal or it will crush inward due to the pressures possibly damaging the content. Some cases do this automatically.
How long till you leave? If there is time I will send you some "fragile Instrument" stickers for your case.

xf5nk4.jpg

Let them gate check it at the small connector as those overheads are tiny (Embraer jet?). The larger (usually Airbus) will hold it overhead. They will discourage you as they want everyone to bring less stuff onboard. At the very least, insist on gate checking it. That means they take it from you onboard and they put it below... when you land you collect it as you leave the jet. If it is a hard case like mine be sure to remove the pressure seal or it will crush inward due to the pressures possibly damaging the content. Some cases do this automatically.
How long till you leave? If there is time I will send you some "fragile Instrument" stickers for your case.

xf5nk4.jpg
Thanks for the info TJ I don't fly until the 11th of September so should have plenty of time to sort out stickers.

Mines the hard case just like yours, B & W do state on their website that it's air tight with a breathe valve, see below pic but I don't know if it's a two way or one way valve.image.jpg This pics of the valve.
image.jpg

Your looks like it may be automatic. Mine is under the lip of the lid. I have to remove a small 'O' ring.

Check your flight info for the aircraft model. I know it fits in a Boeing 737-700 overhead and I believe the Airbus 3XX series.

Your looks like it may be automatic. Mine is under the lip of the lid. I have to remove a small 'O' ring.

Check your flight info for the aircraft model. I know it fits in a Boeing 737-700 overhead and I believe the Airbus 3XX series.
Looking for the aircraft model now, I'll get back to ya;)

Could you just send it FedEx or whatever you have there to your motel .
I mean as far as the extra cost ?

I'd rather have it with me at all times, did think of that idea though;)

Interesting... that is the aircraft that will bring you across the pond? I get an Airbus 320 when I fly across a few states in the US. Must be a demand thing. First class I hope my friend.

http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamilies/passengeraircraft/a320family/a319/

And if you have never seen this site is is useful when booking. It says US Air but they recently merged with American. - http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/US_Airways/US_Airways_Airbus_A319.php

Mrs porky looked into the plane details:eek: bet she got it wrong, I'll get her to double check again;)

Business class from Heathrow to Miami via British airways, no probs with them taking it on as carry on.

Business class from Miami to Sint Maarten via AA, that where my problem starts:( they've told us my box is to big to fit in the overhead storage.

Oh I do love my bed on a plane, only with British airways though;)

I will be buying some padlocks at the airport for my case so if I do loose sight of it with AA I know it's fairly safe;)

Interesting... that is the aircraft that will bring you across the pond? I get an Airbus 320 when I fly across a few states in the US. Must be a demand thing. First class I hope my friend.

http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamilies/passengeraircraft/a320family/a319/

And if you have never seen this site is is useful when booking. It says US Air but they recently merged with American. - http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/US_Airways/US_Airways_Airbus_A319.php

Just looked at the seat guru thingy;) we must have 1st class seats with AA then, is business class the same as 1 class with AA? Must be, well I hope so.......:eek:

I've now got to wait until my good lady comes home from work to ask that question, I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: LuvMyTJ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues