Help explain what just happened please

I have 10 charge cycles. And after removing it from charger put right in my bird.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry my friend.
So sorry, this reply was for someone else!
My son who is 12 done this reply.
So sorry
B

Sorry my friend.
So sorry
B

oh ok, that's fine. Just looking to analyze and correct me where I went wrong. I know I dilly daddled by using yaw excessivley to not even get close to a house. And maybe I should have just stayed a single altitude the whole way. Sometimes I dropped distance only for better ground view.

Just because your battery says 100% before flight does not mean you are 100% good. Every charge cycle lessens the life of it. How many charge cycles do you have on it? I always fly my bird within one hour of taking it off charge.. This way I'm flying with the most battery juice at that moment .. Letting battery's sit charged for even 24 hours lessens the flight time..

Yes, makes sense - thank you

Sorry my friend.
So sorry
B
I think that was for me, not only did I give her a little kiss but also brought out the cleaning cloths and put her in her little lined carry bag as a token of appreciation. Hope your son understands lol....

Here you go- I'm trying to figure it out maybe you can find my fault.

okay here is the link, maybe you or others can tell me what I did wrong.
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
Geez that was close. Your return speed was definitely more than heading out but not sure if that was due to you cruising around or a bit of wind. The only comment I would make was that your battery levels seemed quite low over a relatively short time, much lower than my own experience.10% in 2.5 mins is not what I am used to. Apart from that, I'll have to wait until the clever people chime in.

Reactions: jsposito
Geez that was close. Your return speed was definitely more than heading out but not sure if that was due to you cruising around or a bit of wind. The only comment I would make was that your battery levels seemed quite low over a relatively short time, much lower than my own experience.10% in 2.5 mins is not what I am used to. Apart from that, I'll have to wait until the clever people chime in.

Hmmm..okay

Hmmm..okay
Also just wandering back to your original comment regarding why the 40% remaining when you used 60% to get to your distance. You didn't use 60% to get there as you burnt battery hanging around for a couple of minutes so maybe closer to the 40% you needed to get back. Just a thought. Turning off OA certainly helps with getting more speed as does turning off the video add a bit more battery life.

So, okay let's it launched at 98 percent, and the only thing I did was turn off recording half way through the flight. Should I turn off OA Too? I have to tell you that today the wind was 3mph.
It looks like you tried very hard to lose your Phantom.
NEVER run the battery down that low - aim to be back on the ground before 20%
The time you are cutting it close is the day you can count on complications that slow you down so aim to always have a reserve.

Yes, you should have turned OA off if you want to go for distance.
You will get about 50% more speed with OA disabled.

You dawdled on the outbound flight with the speed all over the place and never going above 20 mph.
Traveling so slowly, the Phantom is using a lot of it's energy just to hold it up in the air.
The less time you fight gravity the more power you have to make distance.

RTH is a slow driver. You can drive 50% faster (with OA off) than RTH on auto.
Either cancel RTH and drive yourself or just leave it in RTH and push the right stick forward.

You came home at 273 feet.
If you are running low on battery, start your descent while returning rather than get home and then descend.
You got to 512 feet from home at 17:29 ... but then flew away to 2165 feet when the battery was at 7% and kept it in the air for another three minutes !!??
Don't do any more adventurous flying until you understand your Phantom a lot better.

I have found there can be rivers of wind that you cannot see or feel or hear on the ground even at 200 feet altitude there can be wind that you cannot account for on the ground

Also just wandering back to your original comment regarding why the 40% remaining when you used 60% to get to your distance. You didn't use 60% to get there as you burnt battery hanging around for a couple of minutes so maybe closer to the 40% you needed to get back. Just a thought. Turning off OA certainly helps with getting more speed as does turning off the video add a bit more battery life.
true, thanks

It looks like you tried very hard to lose your Phantom.
NEVER run the battery down that low - aim to be back on the ground before 20%
The time you are cutting it close is the day you can count on complications that slow you down so aim to always have a reserve.

Yes, you should have turned OA off if you want to go for distance.
You will get about 50% more speed with OA disabled.

You dawdled on the outbound flight with the speed all over the place and never going above 20 mph.
Traveling so slowly, the Phantom is using a lot of it's energy just to hold it up in the air.
The less time you fight gravity the more power you have to make distance.

RTH is a slow driver. You can drive 50% faster (with OA off) than RTH on auto.
Either cancel RTH and drive yourself or just leave it in RTH and push the right stick forward.

You came home at 273 feet.
If you are running low on battery, start your descent while returning rather than get home and then descend.
You got to 512 feet from home at 17:29 ... but then flew away to 2165 feet when the battery was at 7% and kept it in the air for another three minutes !!??
Don't do any more adventurous flying until you understand your Phantom a lot better.

Yeah good advice, will follow. I did fly away by accident? I got so nervous trying to keep the bird in my direction using yaw - then eventually lost line of sight and did not look at the transmitter or the radar to see I was going in the opposite way. Now I can see it.

But also, landing at 20% gives me less time in the air - so I bought another battery, and hope to find a dual battery mod. Thank God I made it over the lake.

Thanks

Yeah good advice, will follow. I did fly away by accident? I got so nervous trying to keep the bird in my direction using yaw - then eventually lost line of sight and did not look at the transmitter or the radar to see I was going in the opposite way. Now I can see it.

But also, landing at 20% gives me less time in the air - so I bought another battery, and hope to find a dual battery mod. Thank God I made it over the lake.

Thanks
HI 20% good ,,,then batterie not get to hot also gives you heaps of time to bring it in safely,,,all the best :)enjoy and no skinning dips in the lake...had my swimming lesson ha...

This thread started as a failed RTH.
The RTH function operates at about 21 mph . I used to think this was some economical cruise speed. It isn't . Flat out full ahead will will get you most range. The P3P pulls 12 amps at 21 mph and only one amp more at 13 amps flat out.
Think about this if you can get 20 mins out of a battery then flying at 6 mph it will go 2 miles. At 12mph it will go 4 miles. at 36 mph it should go 12 miles.
That's theoretical but if you are short of battery and hit RTH then, when it engages, push the right stick full forward and you have a better chance of getting home.

This thread started as a failed RTH.
The RTH function operates at about 21 mph . I used to think this was some economical cruise speed. It isn't . Flat out full ahead will will get you most range. The P3P pulls 12 amps at 21 mph and only one amp more at 13 amps flat out.
Think about this if you can get 20 mins out of a battery then flying at 6 mph it will go 2 miles. At 12mph it will go 4 miles. at 36 mph it should go 12 miles.
That's theoretical but if you are short of battery and hit RTH then, when it engages, push the right stick full forward and you have a better chance of getting home.
Hello, Interesting, I did in fact push the right stick forward but not right away. As you can see in my flight log posted shortly after RTH was recommended at 40% battery my flying speed was miles 20-22 mph
But you are right about speed and power in battery. ( in theory) and I also thought 20 was an economy speed. Someone wondered why I was all over the place ( glad he mentioned it )out there when it just supposed to be straight line out then back. It is because I am still an amateur and I kept adjusting the yaw to avoid any homes but also I became disorientated.

Are you suggesting that if re-do this mission that I go perhaps 10 miles per hour, reach my 10,0000 feet then come home safely without losing ALL MY BATTERY.?

As it turned out I hit 10,200 feet full speed and at 40% battery i was told to RTH, which I did. But keeping that stick forward helped me get over deep forests and a lake,For your review if interested but thank you anyway. Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

And my other question, if I used 60 percent battery to reach that distance why would RTH at 40 percent.? I took off at 98 percent battery.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that if re-do this mission that I go perhaps 10 miles per hour, reach my 10,0000 feet then come home safely without losing ALL MY BATTERY.?
No.
If you want to go for distance, you need to go at the most efficient speed which is just a fraction less than max speed.
10mph will waste battery without giving much distance.

As it turned out I hit 10,200 feet full speed and at 40% battery i was told to RTH, which I did.
You spent much of the flight out going quite slowly, not full speed.

Unless you want to lose your Phantom you also need to have a reserve and aim to be back before 20%.

Reactions: jsposito

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues