Help - error beeping, but not firmware upgrade

Reaction score
Go into this story knowing I have never tried/tested the Return To Home feature...know all about it...but never used it and had no clue what the screen would look like once engaged.

There I was, near a nice park with a stream right through central Florida, daughter playing on the playground, wife...instagramming or whatever it was...and out pops the P3P to catch some nice rays bouncing off the stream. Took it off right next to the stream, flew it upstream a bit, back downstream a bit, hoovered and lowered it near the water with the camera straight down catching the downdraft push the moss covered water apart in a nice circular fashion. Got bored, decided to fly it a few meters over to the playground and film my daughter. Lucky us, no one else was at the park and a perfect opportunity to film her playing like a squirrel monkey. Battery started getting very low, decided to land it next to me and replace the battery. 2 inches off the ground, the battery reached my setting for RTH, and it was set as the take-off point and immediately started rising to my height setting, 20M. I started panicking and should have just reached out and grabbed the landing gear...but didn't.

The tree between the P3P and the take-off spot was my concern. Frantically started trying to cancel the RTH and saw in the middle-left of the screen the CANCEL button. I pressed it and quickly looked back up at the drone that was now flying straight ahead towards the tree... but it did not stop. It crashed, fell to the ground and the tears began. What I noticed afterwards, was that there was a confirmation to click on once I selected Cancel...but I looked away too soon and with the panic, never noticed. This happened within about 15 seconds, the initiation of RTH and the crash into the tree.

Here's the link to the crash video. Interesting note: my P3P automatically stopped the recording of the video (which was active) when the RTH automated system kicked in due to my battery settings. It then began a new recording file after about 2 seconds, which is the one I linked to...interesting because it automatically stopped and started a new file video when RTH engaged.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Gimbal Yaw Arm was bent, I replaced it. Now we get to the purpose of this post. When I start it up, the horribly loud beeping sounds begin, just like when firmware upgrade fails. However, the lights on the 4 arms do not turn on, they remain off. I have tried installing latest firmware again, but the red light turns on and remains on, on the front of the camera. Also, on the side of the Vision Positioning Module is a red light that remains lit as well.

Last night I took that VPM apart and noticed a button inside of it that I was unaware of. After a bit of searching last night to figure out what this button is for, I gave up. If someone knows what this is, please let me know.

Here is a video showing what it does when powered on, notice the odd behavior of lights:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what to check or do to get my drone ready for the next crash. :) I am very hands on and want to do it myself, although DJI support is telling me I must send it in for repair. I will do that if necessary, but wanted to try with you lovely professionals and enthusiasts before investing that money.

Thank you!
John

The button is for linking/binding the aircraft and remote controller.

Reactions: neurotico
Oh. Well as I'm getting a video feed to the controller, can move the camera and everything even checked out properly inside the software of the app, I don't think it's that and will leave that button alone.

Thank you!

I'm looking for suggestions as to what to check or do to get my drone ready for the next crash. :) <<<<< Love that line! LOL

Reactions: neurotico
Oh. Well as I'm getting a video feed to the controller, can move the camera and everything even checked out properly inside the software of the app, I don't think it's that and will leave that button alone.

Thank you!

For the loud beep you will likely need to reinstall the firmware. Do that by deleting everything off the microSD card and format it. Then place on the firmware bin on the card and go through a usual firmware update. The aircraft will more then likely continue beeping for another 10-15 mins but will eventually stop. Some mention putting the aircraft in a closet, where others say put it in the garage.

As for firmware completing you can go by the beeps that come from the gimbal. Four beeps mean it is still loading the firmware. Three beeps mean the process is finished.

So...I shipped it to DJI, called my insurance company and took out a schedule on personal property for my phantom also. Now just playing with my small toys in the meantime.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic