Help choosing fpv system

You guys are using the receiver on the monitor? Is that good enough or would a separate one be better? Thanks

I think most of us with screens for FPV just have a screen with a diversity receiver built in, seems so much easier.
on the Boscam frequencies, the RX-LCD5802 is popular, on the FatShark/ImmersionRC side there's a Black Pearl receiver I think a lot of people get

QYV said:
dvc said:
Is this something I need to worry about.

does it apply? technically yes. do you need to worry? ... probably not? how many laws do you violate technically on a daily basis that are never an issue? (probably lots, check out sites like dumblaws.com for stupid laws technically on the books that everyone ignores)

I'm pretty sure it's not just that transmitter, but to transmit anything at all on the amateur/civilian bands you technically have to have a HAM radio license. Check out #12 of this FAQ.

that being said, I don't think the FCC actively enforces those policies like there's no such thing as "FCC police" that sit around fields checking people for licenses for their FPV systems... it's just one of those by-laws (imo) that if you do something illegal and get busted the FCC can tack on fines. For example, if you were using your drone to illegally spy on someone/something like a naked person in a private home and got busted by the cops and arrested and your stuff confiscated... if they saw a FPV system they might tack on those types of charges kind of like they tried to do to the NYC Phantom crash guy.
but most of the people recreationally flying around Phantoms with FPV setups don't have the FCC ham license, at lease none of the ones I've met or hung out with.

I'm sorry QYV but considering you are from NYC like me I can't believe that you actually wrote this. As "drones" and quadcopters continue to get negative media attention, law enforcement is increasingly looking to come up with charges to hang on people they see flying. If they do decide to screw with you, they will likely look for anything they can hang onto you that will stick. A $10,000 FCC violation looks pretty good to them. Also, yes the FCC does indeed enforce this rule. Its a $10,000 fine, and HAMs who are big into radio take enforcement seriously. Its not worth the risk. Get the license. It costs $15 and two hours of reading. You might actually learn a thing or three. Its attitudes like the above that will have the hobby regulated into oblivion.

UrbanAnathema said:
I'm sorry QYV but considering you are from NYC like me I can't believe that you actually wrote this. As "drones" and quadcopters continue to get negative media attention, law enforcement is increasingly looking to come up with charges to hang on people they see flying. If they do decide to screw with you, they will likely look for anything they can hang onto you that will stick. A $10,000 FCC violation looks pretty good to them. Also, yes the FCC does indeed enforce this rule. Its a $10,000 fine, and HAMs who are big into radio take enforcement seriously. Its not worth the risk. Get the license. It costs $15 and two hours of reading. You might actually learn a thing or three. Its attitudes like the above that will have the hobby regulated into oblivion.

The FCC has only tried once to my knowledge when they hit that first Phantom 1 midtown drone crash douchebag with the 10k fine it made national news but what DIDN'T was the quiet follow-up that they wound up having to drop it because that particular fine simply didn't apply... they jumped the gun hitting him with it as there's no specific *FCC* regulation about simply operating RC aircraft. So as of this post (8/5/14) there's no way you're getting that $10k FCC airspace violation simply for flying as long as you don't violate AIRPORT airspace which I absolutely do not.

A perfect example is the latest big "NYC drone" news with the police helicopter but notice the ONLY charge those guys got was an endangerment charge regarding the police heli, the FCC was completely silent.

It sounded like you were talking about just flying the Phantom... I believe my point that you quoted was in reference to a specific different issue - them trying to regulate 5.8Ghz FPV transmitters. and I agree,if there's a $15 license we could get to legally operate FPV then I'm all for it.

Whenever I fly from a public area I pretty much instantly get a large crowd and so far *knock on wood* I haven't had a single negative experience... people are just interested so I do everything I can to educate them and generate positive buzz about it. Inevitably there's the jokes about spying on people and all I have to do is get the Phantom nearby with it's blinking lights and loud buzzing noise and people generally get that it isn't exactly a "stealthy" thing that's going to be peeking in their windows without them knowing about it. I think I do more good than harm

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj