Help choosing fpv system

dvc

Reaction score
I've read many posts concerning which fpv system would work the best for my Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal, and GoPro Hero 3+black. I'm not into soldering and am looking for more of a plug a play. Cost I'm hoping would be somewhere between $300-$400. One member recommended the following:

1. DJI AVL-58
2. iOSD mini
3. DJI FPV Hub
4. Boscam 5802 Rx Monitor
5. Fatshark Spironet Antenna (Or u can use the matching DJI Cloverleafs)

I've read good reviews of the Boscam 5802 Rx Monitor. Is there way to mount the monitor to my Phantom controller?

What do you think of this setup? What would you recommend? Also,is there one place you would recommend, where I could order everything, maybe even a package deal. Is there anyone from Michigan that has knowledge of fpv systems? I've never done anything with RC before, so the simpler the setup the better.

Thanks,
Donn

There is a guy in these forums that has specifically made a monitor mount to fit the Phantom 2 transmitter for FPV I would suggest buying that over the cheaper mounts, I have one of the cheaper mounts and it sucks my monitor always flops over and it is a real pain. As for your setup I would also suggest getting a helical antenna which will greatly increase your range of your fpv system. You can buy a nice 5 turn helical antenna from readymaderc.com for about $30 USD. You do not need the AVL-58 with the monitor you have listed because it has a built in diversity receiver so all you would need is a transmitter . Instead of getting the AVL-58 I would get a Immersion RC 600mw or a Fat Shark 250mw transmitter.

That seems like a reasonable package but you would still have to buy antennas. I would suggest buying everything separately to get the best set up and max range. You can get a good set up that will get you multi km range for under $400.

Here is what I suggest

Monitor- Black Pearl Diversity Monitor or the Boscam Diversity-

I purchased my Black Pearl from http://www.rangevideo.com/en/ for $205 USD. Both work good the Black pearl will cost you $200 and the Boscam you can find some places for $150. The big difference is the Black Pearl has a HDMI out so you can feed out your video to a TV.

Transmitter- Immersion RC 600w or the Fat Shark 250mw

Both work great and cost roughly $70 I have the Fat Shark transmitter many prefer the Immersion one.

Antennas- 2 Fat Shark Spironet and IB Crazy 5 Turn Helical

I purchased all three from readymaderc.com for $70. The helical is great for long distance range you can get well over the range of your phantom with it. You put the spironet on the transmitter and monitor and put the helical on the monitor as well. Some people suggest using a patch antenna over the helical but I have gotten great range with the helical.

Mount- Get the one from the guy on the forums as it is far better then anything else for the stock phantom radio.

Cables- This plug and play cable plugs right into the extra can bus port on the phantom control board eliminating the need for the FPV Hub, it costs roughly $30 USDhttp://www.firstpersonview.com/cables/phantom-2-iosd-mini-transmitter. This eliminates any soldering and will make the install very easy. I would defiantly get this as it will cut your install time in half.

Then all you need is the IOSD Mini and to connect everything.

Some install advice I would get a nice 3MM screwdriver as you will most likely strip the little Philips screws with the screwdriver provided. Here is the video I followed to install everything http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8pqtEDuos.

When looking to purchase an Immersion RC 600 mW 5.8 Hz transmitter there was this on the site

Notice: The use and operation of this product in the USA and many other countries requires an amateur/ham radio license, and some countries may forbid its use entirely. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that the use of this product meets the requirements imposed by your government’s rules and regulations for RF devices. Do not purchase this product if you are unsure of the government requirements or are not able to comply with them. ReadyMadeRC cannot be held responsible for your actions if you purchase and/or use this product in violation of your government's regulations.

Is this something I need to worry about.

dvc said:
Is this something I need to worry about.

does it apply? technically yes. do you need to worry? ... probably not? how many laws do you violate technically on a daily basis that are never an issue? (probably lots, check out sites like dumblaws.com for stupid laws technically on the books that everyone ignores)

I'm pretty sure it's not just that transmitter, but to transmit anything at all on the amateur/civilian bands you technically have to have a HAM radio license. Check out #12 of this FAQ.

that being said, I don't think the FCC actively enforces those policies like there's no such thing as "FCC police" that sit around fields checking people for licenses for their FPV systems... it's just one of those by-laws (imo) that if you do something illegal and get busted the FCC can tack on fines. For example, if you were using your drone to illegally spy on someone/something like a naked person in a private home and got busted by the cops and arrested and your stuff confiscated... if they saw a FPV system they might tack on those types of charges kind of like they tried to do to the NYC Phantom crash guy.
but most of the people recreationally flying around Phantoms with FPV setups don't have the FCC ham license, at lease none of the ones I've met or hung out with.

First off I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions..

So far here's what I’m looking at:

bandgood.com

Boscam RX LCD 5802 5.8GHz LCD Diversity Receiver 7 Inch Monitor $159.79
Boscam RX-LCD58802 Mointor Charging Adaptor $5.99

hobbyking.com

IImmersiionRC 5.8Ghz Audio/Video Transmitter $69.99

readymaderc.com

RC - 5.8 GHz SpiroNET Omni SMA Antenna Set (RHCP) $39.99
VAS - 5.8 GHz 5 Turn Helical $33.99

firstpersonview.com

Plug and Play Cable: DJI Phantom 2 to iOSD Mini and Fat Shark/Immersion RC Transmitter $21.00

helipal.com

DJI iODS Mini on Screen Display Module $69.90

Total $400.65 not including shipping

Also I need a bracket to mount the monitor to my Phantom controller, and someone mentioned that there's a person on here who make them. I would like to get his name if possible.

If you can add anything or make suggestions as where to buy or what might need to be changed let me know.

Thanks,
Donn

search the Classifieds and the 'Phantom 2 (non-vision)' forums for the words "mounting" or "bracket" I'm pretty sure that's where I've seen guys posting about them before.
also try on shapeways.com (search 'dji phantom' just pay attention to the P1 vs P2 items) it's like etsy for cool 3d printed stuff

your gonna want this kit its all plug and play heres what you need when you buy this kit don't use the stock transmitter it came with its weak buy the immersion rc 600 i'll post the link for everthing you need and a plug and play for the iosd mini and immersion rc 600 with a youtube video on how to install very easy and no soldering!

https://www.gothelirc.com/shopexd.asp?id=1980 (black pearl fpv kit don't bother using there transmitter when it arrives)

https://www.gothelirc.com/shopexd.asp?id=2050 (black pearl monitor charger)

https://www.gothelirc.com/shopexd.asp?id=1599 (carbon fiber monitor holder for your remote control can be used also on dji 1 and 2)

http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-600mw-video-tx.html (immersion rc 600 transmitter)

http://www.firstpersonview.com/cables/d ... tter-cable (plug and play cable)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... e:IN+STOCK#inpage:Shipping+:++$?gclid=CjkKEQjw_ZmdBRD1qNKXhomX_sEBEiQAc9XNUF39yUdcnn42ki0Uzes50AEeSdMcoBAKdGwnPp64F5fw_wcB (iosd mini)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ido6peKTKKo (video of plug and play installation)

this is all you need to get started hope this helps

My advice for a cheap FPV system that works and its very easy to install, almost plug and play, takes 5min to install on phantom.

Video Tx to install on the phantom:
Boscam TS353 400mw: http://j.mp/1gJ6t7s

LCD with Receiver and battery:
Boscam 7" RX-LCD5802 5.8GHz Diversity Receiver: http://j.mp/1lZuham
LCD Battery Charger: http://j.mp/1h3CreQ

I used this with great sucess, you can expect at least 1km with sotck antennas (without any obstacles), and if you change to better antennas you can get 2km or more. :)

I've ordered the ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz Audio/Video Transmitter and the Boscam RX LCD 5802 5.8GHz LCD Diversity Receiver 7 Inch Monitor. What do you think about using the ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Antenna Set (2 antennas) SpiroNET - Version 2. The Receiver has two antenna and I'm not sure what would be a good second antenna, if I need one. What combination of antennas would be good? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

dvc said:
I've ordered the ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz Audio/Video Transmitter and the Boscam RX LCD 5802 5.8GHz LCD Diversity Receiver 7 Inch Monitor. What do you think about using the ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Antenna Set (2 antennas) SpiroNET - Version 2. The Receiver has two antenna and I'm not sure what would be a good second antenna, if I need one. What combination of antennas would be good? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

some people augment the receiver with a circular helix style antenna... it's directional (meaning you have to point it in the general direction of the Phantom) but has much longer range.

not necessary, but a good idea if you plan on flying a good distance away

dvc said:

bandgood.com

hobbyking.com

readymaderc.com

firstpersonview.com

Plug and Play Cable: DJI Phantom 2 to iOSD Mini and Fat Shark/Immersion RC Transmitter $21.00

helipal.com

Also I need a bracket to mount the monitor to my Phantom controller, and someone mentioned that there's a person on here who make them. I would like to get his name if possible.

If you can add anything or make suggestions as where to buy or what might need to be changed let me know.

Thanks,
Donn

Is it absolutely necessary to purchase the iOSD Mini if you want to have everything hook up correctly? Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but its my understanding that the iOSD imprints the flight data onto the Go-Pro footage. Me being a cinematographer, I want to achieve beautiful aerial shots without having to charter a helicopter.

Krimzon_Wolf said:
dvc said:

bandgood.com

hobbyking.com

readymaderc.com

firstpersonview.com

helipal.com

Thanks,
Donn

Is it absolutely necessary to purchase the iOSD Mini if you want to have everything hook up correctly? Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but its my understanding that the iOSD imprints the flight data onto the Go-Pro footage. Me being a cinematographer, I want to achieve beautiful aerial shots without having to charter a helicopter.

Not absolutely necessary no, but still very useful for seeing important flight data in real-time. If you connect everything through DJI's FPV hub, it has a little switch on it that will disable the iOSD overlay on your vid.

You could also use DJI's Lightbridge full HD FPV setup, it has separate the display outputs where the OSD data isn't shown.

Thank you OI Photography! That clears up a lot of confusion for me. For whatever reason I thought the iOSD would just stick the flight info on top of the video and there was no way to change it.

Krimzon_Wolf said:
Thank you OI Photography! That clears up a lot of confusion for me. For whatever reason I thought the iOSD would just stick the flight info on top of the video and there was no way to change it.

No problem! The data is only overlaid on the transmitted video, and only if it isn't switched off via the hub I mentioned...the gopro still records just what it sees with nothing else added.

I just got my Phantom 2 and so I'm new to this...I like this set up from what I've read online so far. One question - are you using the receiver that is on the monitor? And is that good enough or would a separate receiver work better? Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers