Help buying components for vid Editing .

Reaction score
Building a desktop.

My mid 2009 mac book pro doesn't cut it.

Neither does my current windows PC machine.

What PC desktop components I have extra to use if I wanted too are the following:

GPU - Nvidia GTX550 Ti
500w SPU
Case
Random HDDS
Monitors
Etc

What processor should i use? And also suggest a Mobo.

Gaming isn't a concern. I'll use this for video editing and daily.

I also have a possibly good Intel i5 2500k that still should be functional from my son's old rig. Just no mobo (which we believe to be fried.

Really just looking for an economical mobo/CPU Combo. Mostly editing video and photos from my P2V+

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Not looking to break the bank.

Re: Help buying components for vid Editing .

I can't comment on the parts but I can tell you that my Macbook Retina i7 2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Intel 650M does a wonderful job.
Before this I had a Core2 Duo 1.83 IBM and a 3 minute video took 90 minutes to export. Now I'm down to like 3-4 minutes for the same export.

Might ask over at PCMECH forum.
Just tell them your budget and what tasks you want your computer to do.
They only recommend time tested quality parts.
Then they'll help you if you have any problems.
http://forum.pcmech.com/

This is the one I am going to build for my Phantom running PIX4D, AutoCAD and video editing. I was thinking of a higher end build, but this one has power and value. Go here: http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=233468 for embedded product links for the quoted post below, (it's not my thread)

How about under 2 grand?

Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel / Plastic compact ATX Mid Tower Case

SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K

CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M2A1866C10

Intel 730 Series SSDSC2BP480G4R5 2.5" 480GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner, Bare Drive, 3D Play Back (WH14NS40) - OEM

AMD FirePro W4100 100-505817 2GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Workstation Video Card

(3X) Nippon Labs Model MINIDP-HDMI-6 6 ft. Mini DisplayPort to HDMI® 6ft 32 AWG 6ft Cable M-M 6 feet- OEM - OEM

(3X) ASUS VN248H-P Super Narrow Bezel Black 23.8" 5ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor IPS

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM

Notes:

1. This is with 16gb ram, if you want 32gb just get 2 kits.

2. Optional cooling:

CORSAIR Hydro Series H50 Quiet Edition Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 120mm

tritontr21 said:
My mid 2009 mac book pro doesn't cut it.

Neither does my current windows PC machine.

Have you just tried adding a second HDD to either of your current setups? Even editing from a USB HDD (*USB 3.0) (maybe even thumb drive) will spread the read/writes and speed things up noticeably. Note: Two partitions is not equal to two hard drives.

Added more Ram and a SSD to my mac. Still slow and terrible.

The desktop is an old dual core. Doesn't cut it.

Iirc, you should check if your editing software uses OpenGL or CPU for export/compression. I would personally prefer a quad core i7 over a really expensive graphics card.
If you are ok with the performance I posted above, try comparing your setup against mine. But it seems like your situation is like mine, coming from 5-6 year old hardware, so basically anything with today's standard specs will blow your mind when compared to what you're used to. I didn't necessarily need to export that fast, even 20mins vs. 90mins would've been a huge leap for me.

I run Adobe Photoshop CS6 on my MSI Apache laptop. This has an i7 processor (2.5GHz I think) 16Gb ram, NVidia GTX850M and single 500Gb SSD.

This will edit in HD without issue, with better than realtime renders for a couple of streams and a few effects.

You need to "hack" (Change the text file!) Premiere to use the grpahics card, as it's not on the approved list for Mercury rendering, but it is very reliable. As a trial, I tried to render 62 streams in one go. This was 62 Pips from nested timelines. It breezed through a 4 minutes clip in under an hour with no errors, so I am quite happy with that!

Off-loading the rendering to the graphics processor is 4x quicker on my machine, so worth checking your chosen hardware and software supports this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20