Help Building A Drone Directory

Reaction score
So, I stumbled across an old directory script that I haven't used in years. So I thought, what the heck, I'll put it to use and make it a drone web directory! I've run across a few here and there, but they seem very small and incomplete. I'm thinking a resource directory, categorized, and full of relevant links to all aspects of the drone world. Does this sound like something that would be used? Does it interest you? I guess I'm just throwing a trial balloon out there to see if there is any interest in it. I'm always puttering around with something on the web, it's my relaxation in the late-night hours.

If you would like to help, please post any Category that should be included. Such as Retailers, Repair, DIY, Software, Manufacturers, Blogs & Forums, etc. Those are what I thought of just now.

Thanks!

PS: I don't think I'm stepping on any toes with this? If there is already a directory that's supported by anyone here, let me know and I'll remove this idea.

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
No, I think he's working on a Wiki. Kind of a knowledgebase of drones. Hmmm...... I suppose it "could" have links in it, but probably not a full-blown web directory.
Not sure but have seen something posted awhile back on it . I think we need one .
Would stop a lot of clutter !

Not sure but have seen something posted awhile back on it . I think we need one .
Would stop a lot of clutter !
Oh! It's not for here. It would be a new domain, or a sub-domain of one I already have. Just a free links directory for the drone niche. Giving back to the hobby.

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
No, I think he's working on a Wiki. Kind of a knowledgebase of drones. Hmmm...... I suppose it "could" have links in it, but probably not a full-blown web directory.
snerd,
I'm all for it. Actually I'm all for anything that helps me or educates me. Isn't there some kind of directory on here though? I thought I seen one but can't find it now. Anywho, I say go for it. As far as Categories go how about adding Mods & Legal Issues?

I'm always puttering around with something on the web, it's my relaxation in the late-night hours.
Same here snerd. I was playing around with creating a Phantom Pilots Wiki "just as an example" (not the real deal) but didn't seem to be much interest. If yer interested here's the link:
Phantompiolts Wikia
I'll turn it over to ya if you want... ;)
BOT

Reactions: dirkclod
So, I stumbled across an old directory script that I haven't used in years. So I thought, what the heck, I'll put it to use and make it a drone web directory! I've run across a few here and there, but they seem very small and incomplete. I'm thinking a resource directory, categorized, and full of relevant links to all aspects of the drone world. Does this sound like something that would be used? Does it interest you? I guess I'm just throwing a trial balloon out there to see if there is any interest in it. I'm always puttering around with something on the web, it's my relaxation in the late-night hours.

If you would like to help, please post any Category that should be included. Such as Retailers, Repair, DIY, Software, Manufacturers, Blogs & Forums, etc. Those are what I thought of just now.

Thanks!

PS: I don't think I'm stepping on any toes with this? If there is already a directory that's supported by anyone here, let me know and I'll remove this idea.

No. What you're doing is essentially what happened in the mortgage industry and something I have been advocating for several months.

In mortgage, there are any number of title offices which keep your mortgage documentation. A group decided, hey, we can be a central database for all people to come to to track their title! At first, it was voluntary but it became such a useful tool that it became mandatory. So now, anytime you get a loan, MERS is contacted and the loan is registered.

Now, let's talk about the benefits a drone user can get as well as the general public/gov't departments.

1) The drone flyer gets peace of mind that if someone else does something wrong, HE will not get blamed.
2) Records indicate a user is willing to follow the rules/guidelines.
3) Let's get funding for this project by contacting the AMA (other countries require research) and getting them on board.
4) We get lobbyist support through the AMA and those willing to help.
5) Our hobby becomes legitimate and we can brag about being safety pioneers.
6) Funds can be used to protect against law suits
7) Pro-quad PSAs....

Or not. I don't know...grabbing another beer.

Sorry to continue but let's make sure that the directory is created in Mongo DB as it's becoming one of the most used DBs...edit...sorry, my assumption. I work in the software field and it seems that's all they're talking about in Silicon Valley right now. May not be true outside my world.

Also, DJI and others register drones at purchase...use that in some way to get more support for the data center.

Last edited:
No. What you're doing is essentially what happened in the mortgage industry and something I have been advocating for several months.

In mortgage, there are any number of title offices which keep your mortgage documentation. A group decided, hey, we can be a central database for all people to come to to track their title! At first, it was voluntary but it became such a useful tool that it became mandatory. So now, anytime you get a loan, MERS is contacted and the loan is registered.

Now, let's talk about the benefits a drone user can get as well as the general public/gov't departments.

1) The drone flyer gets peace of mind that if someone else does something wrong, HE will not get blamed.
3) Let's get funding for this project by contacting the AMA (other countries require research) and getting them on board.
7) Pro-quad PSAs....

Sorry to continue but let's make sure that the directory is created in Mongo DB as it's becoming one of the most used DBs...edit...sorry, my assumption. I work in the software field and it seems that's all they're talking about in Silicon Valley right now. May not be true outside my world.

Also, DJI and others register drones at purchase...use that in some way to get more support for the data center.
So.................... are you fer or agin it?! It would be a PHP script using MySql database. Nothing fancy, just a directory of drone resources on the web. I could not possibly fill it up with links myself, so it would take everyone submitting their favorite sites.

So.................... are you fer or agin it?! It would be a PHP script using MySql database. Nothing fancy, just a directory of drone resources on the web. I could not possibly fill it up with links myself, so it would take everyone submitting their favorite sites.

For it as long as there is a plan in place to make it mainstream. I hoped that my response would have shown I've thought quite a bit about this so I'm for a central database.

For it as long as there is a plan in place to make it mainstream. I hoped that my response would have shown I've thought quite a bit about this so I'm for a central database.
What do you mean by "plans to make it mainstream"?

What do you mean by "plans to make it mainstream"?

Like MERS did for mortgage title databases. We already register our quads when we buy them (the high-end, anyway) so we'd be able to cover that easily but there are so many independent fliers who may not be onboard.

Anyway, longer discussion than can be had on a forum.

Like MERS did for mortgage title databases. We already register our quads when we buy them (the high-end, anyway) so we'd be able to cover that easily but there are so many independent fliers who may not be onboard.

Anyway, longer discussion than can be had on a forum.
Yeah, I think we're not on the same page. This isn't a central registration database for anything. Just a directory of links to websites about drones. Like a Google, only much smaller and only one niche product. Ideally, a person could stop by, search (or browse by category), and find all there is to find about drones on the Internet. Just web links. That's all.

7) Pro-quad PSAs....

Hi,

This is Dan from Hover, the must have app for drone pilots on iOS & Android. We think that we may be able to provide something like this in the future (build a community around the tool with an identity layer). Would love to hear your full thoughts on this! Please PM

Cheers,
Dan

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4