Help: Brand New Phantom slow flashing yellow, never flown

Reaction score
I just got my Phantom 2 as a package from B&H with all of the FPV and Gimbal pre-installed. I finally got everything charged up and went to do my first flight only to find that I can't even get it started. When I turn on the Phantom it flashes through Red-Green-Yellow and then just ends on a slow flashing yellow. I have tried to calibrate the compass and the horizontal goes fine and turns to green but after I do the vertical turn it just goes back to the slow flashing yellow. I have connected it to the Phantom 2 Assistant and it doesn't seem like the GPS is connected. I took it apart and the cord looks fine and it was connected. I get the same yellow flashing lights regardless of if it is plugged in or not. Does this mean that the GPS is bad, even being brand new?

Re: Help: Brand New Phantom slow flashing yellow, never flow

make sure you are in fact in GPS mode and not ATT.
Have you calibrated with the software?

And how many satellites are you getting with those flashing yellow lights?

I have tried calibrating the compass and leave it on the top position GPS on the S2 switch, but it just continues to slow flash yellow. When I attach it to the Assistant it shows that I am in ATT for the top 2 positions of the S2 switch and Failsafe on the 3rd position as I set it to. Is there a specific way to calibrate the GPS that I am unaware of? I have done everything that I have read off directions and in several forums. I had the FPV monitor with the iOSD attached and it shows 0 for the number of satellites.

Just realized that I'm not too far for you Great Pumpkin, I'm down in Carp.

On the DJI software... go into the "Basic" tab... make sure you have the control mode switch (at the bottom on the screen) setup correctly.. and when you flick the switch it should show you what mode you are in...

TeamYankee said:
On the DJI software... go into the "Basic" tab... make sure you have the control mode switch (at the bottom on the screen) setup correctly.. and when you flick the switch it should show you what mode you are in...

I attached pictures of the basic RC tab for each of the 3 positions of the S2 switch. You can see that it shifts through all 3 fine, but if you look at the bottom status bar, it shows Atti for the GPS and middle Atti position, and then Failsafe for the 3rd which I set it to be. I can't see any other reason for this than the GPS module is not functioning.

Attachments

• phantom1.jpg
    phantom1.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 631
  • phantom2.jpg
    phantom2.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 677
  • phantom3.jpg
    phantom3.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 630

hit the "NORM" button in the upper right corner under "Sticks Monitor" and then calibrate the X1 switch and try again

hunch said:
hit the "NORM" button in the upper right corner under "Sticks Monitor" and then calibrate the X1 switch and try again

Tried that, didn't have any affect. What would configuring the gimbal potentiometer do for a GPS problem?

Had the same problem once. Then I turned the remote on. ;)

Damon said:
Had the same problem once. Then I turned the remote on. ;)

Different yellow flashing, thats a fast flash, this is a slow one.

I spoke with B&H, they tried having me go through all sorts of fix attempts to no avail so they are sending me an RMA to get a new one sent out to me. I've since tried even more combos of updating and calibrating and it all ends with the same outcome, slow flashing yellow and 5 red blinks if I try to start the motors. Oh well, at least I have learned a lot more about the programming and changes I can do to the Phantom.

if you plug it in assistance and go to upgrade. tell me what are the numbers displaying in the GPS module line?
are they all 0's or is it something like 6.1.x.x.x ??

hunch said:
if you plug it in assistance and go to upgrade. tell me what are the numbers displaying in the GPS module line?
are they all 0's or is it something like 6.1.x.x.x ??

They are all 0's

There's your problem.
Open her up and see if the GPS cable is unplugged. Could be that
Or the GPS module is bad.
Let us know how it goes.

hunch said:
There's your problem.
Open her up and see if the GPS cable is unplugged. Could be that
Or the GPS module is bad.
Let us know how it goes.

That was one of the first things I did. The cable was plugged in, I unplugged and plugged it back in, inspected the full wire and the module and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Just have to wait on B&H with a hopefully speedy exchange.

How many satelites are look in according to you app after starting the up prcedure and callibrating gps??

aartsf said:
How many satelites are look in according to you app after starting the up prcedure and callibrating gps??

I don't have an app, this is the non-vision, but the info coming through on my FPV screen said 0 GPS satellites.

If there is no or not enough satelite reception it goes automatically in atti mode whivh will be indicated by the yellow ligths of the bird. As your fpv shows 0 satelides it is not likely there are insufficient satelites in your area. What remains is either some bad in you gbs cabeling or in the gps controller.

aartsf said:
If there is no or not enough satelite reception it goes automatically in atti mode whivh will be indicated by the yellow ligths of the bird. As your fpv shows 0 satelides it is not likely there are insufficient satelites in your area. What remains is either some bad in you gbs cabeling or in the gps controller.

Yea, thats the conclusion I came to. If you have a phantom that works fine and put it in atti mode, are you able to start up the motors?

Peeps, if you get all 0s in the assistant under the GPSmodule then
Your GPS module is toast or there is no physical connection
To it.

Try out doing a compass callibration. I seem to remember that helped me pass this situation once.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj