Hello People

Reaction score
I just got my first drone not too long ago. I wanted to find something that is easy too fly and also take some video.

I researched and came across DJI, believe the advanced is worth the extra compared to the standard especially as it is more stable.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I researched and came across DJI, believe the advanced is worth the extra compared to the standard especially as it is more stable.
I don't think it's noticeably more stable, but the Advanced has many extras that makes it worth the price difference. You can compare both models here.

Thank You that was very helpful. The standard is really cheap in price but concerned that my flying skills might be below average and need the extra sensors.

Merry Christmas

my flying skills might be below average and need the extra sensors
I guess you're referring to VPS? That's really only useful when flying indoors (which is generally not a good idea). It's best to turn it off when flying outside.

Why turn it off, doesn't it work alongside the gps.

Also is the camera really that much better on the advanced

Why turn it off
Download the Phantom manual and check out the scenarios where VPS does not work well. The list in the manual pretty much describes every outdoor situation. Also, with VPS on, some people have lost control of their Phantom when low to the ground and tipped it over. There is really no benefit to attempting to use it outdoors. You'll benefit much more from practicing and learning how to manually control your Phantom.

Also is the camera really that much better on the advanced
The cameras have different sensors, but I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference if you compared the photos/videos. They are essentially identical.

So really no real life benefit in getting the advanced?

So really no real life benefit in getting the advanced?
There are lots of benefits. You get a lot more for a couple hundred more. Just Lightbridge alone would seal the deal for me.

I did read about the lightbridge, do we know if Phantom 4 will be out soon ?

I recommend buying a cheaper toy drone to practice with , sometimes the gps goes and you may need to know how to actually fly a drone instead of panicking and crashing, like may people do on these forums.

But don't we have more satellites in the advanced ? Shouldn't we then also turn the optical and ultrasound sensors when we see the number of gps satellites declining ?

Reactions: mmee1992
But don't we have more satellites in the advanced ?
Yes. It can connect to GLONASS satellites too.

Shouldn't we then also turn the optical and ultrasound sensors when we see the number of gps satellites declining ?
Only if you're flying indoors.

You will see more video latency using the Phantom Standard at distance, since it uses old school WiFi with TCP/IP protocol handshaking when sending video down to the controller. Typical latency with the Phantom 3 P/A Lightbridge is about 160ms to 250ms. Wifi can be over double that, depending on your distance. Distance can increase WiFi video latency because if any bits are dropped the packet needs to be resent again. Lightbridge doesn't use TCP/IP, hence it doesn't bother to re-transmit if a bit gets dropped. Lightbridge works more like a TV broadcast and Wifi works more like a computer Wifi connection. Wifi was never intended to be a video transmission medium from air to ground, Lightbridge was.

The biggest benefit of Lightbridge is the tripling of distance, it provides a much more solid video connection that will go 2+ miles, if you have enough battery. Wifi is lucky to reach 2500'. As msinger stated, Lightbridge by itself is worth the money, I'll never use a Wifi platform again, it's so 2014 ;-)

As for the Advanced versus the Pro, there are bitrate differences for the downlink connection and to the card. I highly recommend you consider the Pro, or at least read up on all of the issues people have discovered. Don't plan on installing the HDMI option on the Advanced, people have complained that it doesn't work very good with Headplay HD goggles due to the reduced bit rate.

Ok got it, lightbridge is the way ahead

I was flying my $80 drone today and noticed it's very sensitive to wind, just wanted to fly in one direction.

Would I have this trouble with the phantom

The Phantom is pretty stable in light winds. I wouldn't recommend flying it in winds over 15 MPH though. It'll fly, but it'll be tough to get good footage, take off, land, etc.

No, or very little.

That's promising, I was getting worried whether to buy the phantom or not .

So all that weight helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers