Hello (Newbie)

Reaction score
Hello fine people! I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I plan on purchasing a Phantom and a GoPro in late July. I will use it primarily for a client of mine which is a Ski Resort and they are super stoked about the idea! I already did purchase a "practice" copter a MQX BLADE for $150 and have been using it successfully as my guinea pig (only once did I get it suck in a tree).

So my quick question is there going to be a whole new model coming out soon? They (DJI) mentioned something on Facebook but I cannot find any hard details. Would it be best to wait until that new model comes out (if ever?)

Hello

I'm also a newbie and in my research before buying a phantom I did watch a utube vidio of Colin Guinn, DJI CEO, at a convention explaining their new products. The new model coming out will be an attempt at a copter, fpv plug and play. Will come with its own camera and will send vid through 5.8ghz to a smart phone or tablet. I thought it wasn't worth waiting for, the gopro 3 black is flipping amazing. Plus it's a static mount and no option of upgrading to 2d gimbal and no word on cost or time table of release. But he did say that they were working on a new lower shell for it to house larger lipos. Hopefully those will work for us as well.

On another note I live in Colorado and am also planning on using my phantom in the mountains. I have real questions at wether or not it will be able to fly safly at 10-15 thousand feet with a gopro and fpv. I have aspirations of flying it off a 14er!! I may have to up grade to 450/550 down the road if this proves true. Something you may want to look at as well depending on resort elevation. Which ski resort is looking into these? Just curious.

Is there anyone out there that has flown at these elevations?

I agree the go pro is amazing. I think I may go ahead and pull the trigger on a phantom soon.

Though now you have me concerned about flying at high altitudes. What is a 450/550 upgrade? Also what FPV gear are you using? I may start off basic (go pro and phantom) and continue to upgrade as I go. The ski resort is Bear Valley in CA. I do all their web and some graphic design for them.

Hello

I don't think you should worry about the altitude, I did bring mine up to the mountains and she flys fine. I did put on some 9" blade for more lift. The 450/550 are larger versions of the phantom (5 & 6 bladed) and not plug and play. They come in kit and have to be assembled. I have the fat shark attitudes and love them. Really cool. I started the same way. Phantom, then gopro, then fat sharks, and now I have just upgraded the tx to a spekrum dx8. The upgrades are endless and addictive

kinglou said:
I agree the go pro is amazing. I think I may go ahead and pull the trigger on a phantom soon.

Though now you have me concerned about flying at high altitudes.Don't worry, I flight mine at 2100 mts ASL, just shorter flight time because thin air and stock props needed because Graupner and Zingers don't provides enough recovery sustain when descending.

What is a 450/550 upgrade? Those are bigger frames in DJI's multicopters. You can mount all your own stuff over naked frame or buy them almost ready to fly

Also what FPV gear are you using? Fat Shark Attitude goggles. They're great and also you can lead video/audio to additional LCD monitor. I may start off basic (go pro and phantom) and continue to upgrade as I go. The ski resort is Bear Valley in CA. I do all their web and some graphic design for them.

Hello,
See my answers in RED TEXT

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic