Hello I'm new to the forum, a big question:

Reaction score
Hello hopefully this is the place to ask this:
I am considering buying a DJI Phantom but all the fly-aways I've seen from the transmitter being the same frequency as internet routers has me doubting. Clearly I assume that's why the Phantom 2s transmitter is 5.8ghz instead of 2.4ghz. Why would DJI choose this oft-used frequency??!!

Anyway. About how much does it cost to update a version 1 Phantom with a new radio and add FPV? If this costs more than $600, then the $450ish price of the Phantom v1 isn't so attractive. May as well buy a Phantom 2 Vision. Or wait for the Phantom 2 Gopro, which I assume will be $800ish and then add FPV.

Advice here is appreciated. I plan to fly for fun and maybe sell some footage to clients (in 2015 with a permit of course, wink wink)

2.4 is a frequency commonly used for RC control, and most modern radio setups that use it have some form of frequency-hopping built-in to combat interference from wifi and other existing sources.

You can add a great aftermarket transmitter/receiver for less than $100 (...or up to $600 or more). A full FPV setup (including the ground station) can be done for less than $300.

The 5.8 gHz frequency that DJI is using is to get around the need for a ham radio license to broadcast FPV signals. Since they are using "WIFI" instead of transmitting an actual video signal they are side stepping some FCC regulations.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.