Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Hello I'm new to the forum, a big question:

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by damianicus, Dec 11, 2013.

1. damianicus

Hello hopefully this is the place to ask this:
    I am considering buying a DJI Phantom but all the fly-aways I've seen from the transmitter being the same frequency as internet routers has me doubting. Clearly I assume that's why the Phantom 2s transmitter is 5.8ghz instead of 2.4ghz. Why would DJI choose this oft-used frequency??!!

Anyway. About how much does it cost to update a version 1 Phantom with a new radio and add FPV? If this costs more than $600, then the $450ish price of the Phantom v1 isn't so attractive. May as well buy a Phantom 2 Vision. Or wait for the Phantom 2 Gopro, which I assume will be $800ish and then add FPV.

Advice here is appreciated. I plan to fly for fun and maybe sell some footage to clients (in 2015 with a permit of course, wink wink)

2. OI Photography

2.4 is a frequency commonly used for RC control, and most modern radio setups that use it have some form of frequency-hopping built-in to combat interference from wifi and other existing sources.

You can add a great aftermarket transmitter/receiver for less than $100 (...or up to $600 or more). A full FPV setup (including the ground station) can be done for less than $300.

3. miskatonic

The 5.8 gHz frequency that DJI is using is to get around the need for a ham radio license to broadcast FPV signals. Since they are using "WIFI" instead of transmitting an actual video signal they are side stepping some FCC regulations.