Hello from the Great Ocean Road, Australia

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just bought my first drone - a Phantom 3 Standard. Before buying and flying I kept coming across this forum when I was looking for advice, so I just wanted to say thanks for creating such a great resource and community for drone pilots!

I'm lucky enough to live on the Great Ocean Road in Australia which affords some fantastic scenery. I thought I'd share a video I put together from my first few flights with the Phantom.

Also just a quick review of the Phantom 3 Standard - what a great flying camera. I almost bought the advanced but I decided since it was my first drone, I'd save the $500 and if I really got into it I'd upgrade in the future (when the Phantom 5 or 6 comes out!). I'm very happy with my decision.

The 3 Standard is an amazingly capable machine for $850. It's incredibly stable in flight and the camera was much better than expected, much better than a GoPro!

Missing out on the extra range and the downward facing camera aren't issues at all. UAV's must be operated within line of sight and at 300m away it's easy to loose visual of this small drone so I wouldn't want to be able to fly further. If you want to fly further away just take yourself there.

The extra downward facing positional systems? I haven't felt like I'd need them. This drone is incredibly stable and easy to land. Perhaps they would be useful if you were flying inside without GPS lock.

No doubt I'll want to upgrade in the future, but if anyone else is looking for their first drone I'd highly recommend the Standard. It's an incredibly capable machine for the price, super fun, and has more than enough capability to fulfill your need to get in the air and get great shots.

Cheers,

D

Nice D . You are in a beautiful place .
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Really lucky, the place seems a true paradise, specially for someone who likes landscape photo / videography, congrats!

Awesome footage from a beautiful part of Australia. I hope to get down there one day and also to the Snowies for some 4wding.

Hi all,

I've just bought my first drone - a Phantom 3 Standard. Before buying and flying I kept coming across this forum when I was looking for advice, so I just wanted to say thanks for creating such a great resource and community for drone pilots!

I'm lucky enough to live on the Great Ocean Road in Australia which affords some fantastic scenery. I thought I'd share a video I put together from my first few flights with the Phantom.

Also just a quick review of the Phantom 3 Standard - what a great flying camera. I almost bought the advanced but I decided since it was my first drone, I'd save the $500 and if I really got into it I'd upgrade in the future (when the Phantom 5 or 6 comes out!). I'm very happy with my decision.

The 3 Standard is an amazingly capable machine for $850. It's incredibly stable in flight and the camera was much better than expected, much better than a GoPro!

Missing out on the extra range and the downward facing camera aren't issues at all. UAV's must be operated within line of sight and at 300m away it's easy to loose visual of this small drone so I wouldn't want to be able to fly further. If you want to fly further away just take yourself there.

The extra downward facing positional systems? I haven't felt like I'd need them. This drone is incredibly stable and easy to land. Perhaps they would be useful if you were flying inside without GPS lock.

No doubt I'll want to upgrade in the future, but if anyone else is looking for their first drone I'd highly recommend the Standard. It's an incredibly capable machine for the price, super fun, and has more than enough capability to fulfill your need to get in the air and get great shots.

Cheers,

D
Excellent video! I've been driving down the coastal route from Sydney to Melbourne with my Phantom 4. Will drive the Great Ocean Road in the next 2-3 days What part of the GOR do you live in? Any suggestions on best places to "fly" and film from my P4? Thanks! -Jim

Great footage, I'm in Sydney and on my bucket list is to drive the full length of the Great Ocean Road and film the 12 apostles ( only 11 now :( ) will do someday....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub