Hello from Scotland

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a student and have just entered the hobby by purchasing a phantom 3 standard about a week back to take with me on my adventures. I didn't get much time to learn the drone before I'd left, so I packed it in the car and used the roadtrip as its maiden voyage. I've never flown anything before but I am incredibly impressed with what the machine can do! I was expecting a steep learning curve, but it turned out rather well. I'm looking to learn and take on as much as I can from you guys. Here's one of my test flights from last week; it's more the landscape - rather than my flying that does this clip justice!

I'm hoping to compile all my footage and create a small video reel. There was a fair wind that day so there is some shaky cam going on.

/Iain

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum iMack .
Is pretty landscape and you have came to the right place . Watch in video's what others are doing and that
will give you lots of tips on what looks good .
Have any question's search and if you don't see what you want to know just ask .
No smarter folks on these than this forum . :)

Looks great mate .my P3A is coming Tuesday and I'm planning on filming a few valleys and castles to start with.
My drone has same camera as yours 2.7k .how big a SD card do you recommend?

Thanks dirkclod

@dragonmuzz Sounds fantastic. I think the P3A comes with a 16gb. I got through 6-12gb a day of constant footage using 1080p, however I brought my laptop with me to unload so I could create space. I would get a 32gb chip to be safe as they are fairly cheap. 64gb will give you total peace of mind.

Last edited:
Thanks dirkclod

@dragonmuzz Sounds fantastic. I think the P3A comes with a 16gb. I got through 6-12gb a day of constant footage using 1080p, however I brought my laptop with me to unload so I could create space. I would get a 32gb chip to be safe as they are fairly cheap. 64gb will give you total peace of mind.
Thanks dirkclod

OK thanks

Newbie here. Video looks good! But are there no trees in Scotland? lol. btw, I am Mexican, but I was born in Edinburgh.
Edinburg, Texas that is, lol. gotcha!

Newbie here. Video looks good! But are there no trees in Scotland? lol. btw, I am Mexican, but I was born in Edinburgh.
Edinburg, Texas that is, lol. gotcha!
good one! Not many tree's in the Outer Hebrides, but on the mainland there are plenty. Makes a beautiful sight because you can see for miles!
Found out the other day there is a London in Canada... well I never.

I drummed in a Scottish Police Drum and Pipe band and everywhere we went I would say, "I'm the only one in the band born in Edinburg" I would get comments (actually looks, lol) until I told them exactly where. Wanna see for miles and miles? Go to Nebraska. Or West Texas, lol. Me? I love my mountains. From my back window I see mountains, from my front door I see mountains. At my Hawaii Island house I can see the world's tallest mountain (on a clear day).

I drummed in a Scottish Police Drum and Pipe band and everywhere we went I would say, "I'm the only one in the band born in Edinburg" I would get comments (actually looks, lol) until I told them exactly where. Wanna see for miles and miles? Go to Nebraska. Or West Texas, lol. Me? I love my mountains. From my back window I see mountains, from my front door I see mountains. At my Hawaii Island house I can see the world's tallest mountain (on a clear day).

Fantastic! are Scottish pipe bands big thing in the US? I believe I've watched a documentary about this a few years back. I do love a good mountain hike as well. I've always wanted to go to greenland to see their mountains and glaciers!

/Iain

Pipe bands in America? Are you kidding me? There are hundreds, nay, maybe thousands of such bands here. There are probably more Scots here than in Scotland, lol. Anyway, yes, and if you want to migrate here the band is looking for more volunteers. No experience needed as you will be trained to either pipe or drum. btw, my youngest grandchild, a boy of 16 is named Eain. My daughter chose that name because they were looking for an E to go with the alphabet. They were already A, B, C, D, and now E. Funny thing, is he was born on Cinco de Mayo (5 May) an important Mexican date, while his older brother was born on the 4th of July, an important date in American history. And his name is Carlos. Go figure, lol.

good one! Not many tree's in the Outer Hebrides, but on the mainland there are plenty. Makes a beautiful sight because you can see for miles!
Found out the other day there is a London in Canada... well I never.
Where in the Outer Hebrides was the vid taken? In 2013 we went to the Isle of Lewis for a holiday and fell in love with Uig. Yes, got myself a chess set to come home with
abd6d10b224f387421b99a62c1f83606.jpg
and lots of pictures such as this one of the Stones of Callanish.
78cb4b0c25392bf1da499019aa5f4538.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: iMack
Hi guys,

I'm a modelmaking student and have just entered the hobby by purchasing a phantom 3 standard about a week back to take with me on my adventures. I didn't get much time to learn the drone before I'd left, so I packed it in the car and used the roadtrip as its maiden voyage. I've never flown anything before but I am incredibly impressed with what the machine can do! I was expecting a steep learning curve, but it turned out rather well. I'm looking to learn and take on as much as I can from you guys. Here's one of my test flights from last week; it's more the landscape - rather than my flying that does this clip justice!

I'm hoping to compile all my footage and create a small video reel. There was a fair wind that day so there is some shaky cam going on. Is there a way of editing that in post-production?

/Iain

Welcome to you mate. Awesome landscape you got up there, and wise choice of time (of the day) to shoot it. Well done!

@daveleeds Amazing. You brought one home! They are beautiful pieces of craft. There's a good collection of them next to Stornoway castle. How on earth did you manage to get one home? Uig and Harris are breathtakingly beautiful. Hoping to go back over summer for the Hebridean Festival.

That video clip is literally at the Callanish stones - camera facing the opposite way however. I have a lot of footage from the trip and I'm in the process of putting together a video. I'll give you a shout when I make some progress.

@daveleeds Amazing. You brought one home! They are beautiful pieces of craft. There's a good collection of them next to Stornoway castle. How on earth did you manage to get one home? Uig and Harris are breathtakingly beautiful. Hoping to go back over summer for the Hebridean Festival.

That video clip is literally at the Callanish stones - camera facing the opposite way however. I have a lot of footage from the trip and I'm in the process of putting together a video. I'll give you a shout when I make some progress.

Yes please do.
Btw, that wasn't one of the chess pieces I bought [emoji6], I could never have got that in the mini, not with the missus too. That's the one that they have outside the Uig museum close to where the Lewis chessmen were found.

Yes please do.
Btw, that wasn't one of the chess pieces I bought [emoji6], I could never have got that in the mini, not with the missus too. That's the one that they have outside the Uig museum close to where the Lewis chessmen were found.

Oh that makes more sense ha. The cast chess sets are beautiful. We have a set at home and they are a real pleasure to play on. Did you take the ferry from tarbert to uig?

Looks Blooming Brilliant. The Phantom is an Awesome bit of kit. Customer services are Sh.t. Hope You never need them. Happy Flying.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

@daveleeds That's a nice crossing. They have a brand new boat just a few months back now for that crossing. It was a very smooth ride.

@blomdido Thanks man :) It really really is. I'm still so impressed every time I take it out.

Reactions: blomdido
Here's that short trailer for the Scotland road trip footage I took over Christmas.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4