Hello from Colorado

Hey Marc... Welcome to the Phantom world. I'm a Southwest FA also living in Colorado. What airline are you with?

Thanks for joining the team!

Well things are starting out just ducky NOT! :eek:

I got the controller and one battery to 100% charge. Downloaded the DJI Go app onto my Iphone 5. Made an account at DJI.com, turned on the controller, aircraft, iphone (hooked to the controller) and started the app. First the screen looks nothing like anything I have seen. But anyway got to the activation screen, put in my DJI user name and password that was just setup earlier, and keep getting activation failed when trying to register.

So I am going to stop here for the night.

I looked at this and it did not help. http://forum.dji.com/thread-14709-1-1.html

Marc

I got my bird from Drone World and they included a 64GB SD card. When I go to format it on windows 7 it will only format as exFAT and not FAT32. Is this a problem?

Thanks and many more stupid questions to come.

No update on getting the app registered yet

I got my bird from Drone World and they included a 64GB SD card. When I go to format it on windows 7 it will only format as exFAT and not FAT32. Is this a problem?

Thanks and many more stupid questions to come.

No update on getting the app registered yet
Not stupid questions at all. The device presents an oddly-convoluted bunch of progressive steps to wrap your head around.

The best bet it to format the card in the Phantom's gimbal from the GO app.

The format option is at the bottom of the main checklist screen that appears when the unit first powers on, or when you press the status bar in the top-middle of the screen.

You'll find that its format is totally compatible with Windows when you place the card in a card reader. Or some folks download their pics via USB.

About powering up the unit -- Have you placed it on your kitchen table without propeller blades, and powered-up everything as though it were outside? You can do all the operations, learn the software, and even start the motors -- without adverse affects. Just don't leave the motors running too long, because they might overheat without the load of flying and ambient air cooling from movement.

... and a silly question, but who knows, is your phone connected to the Internet when you're doing all this, especially for the first time? There has been a lot of chatter on this forum about whether to fly on airplane mode, because it decreases the operational load on the mobile device. But it always seems best to start out with a full connection, especially for the first few days, so your maps and latest information come through. Just don't text or answer the phone when flying! :) And so you don't get scared to death. Even if your connection to the P3 dies completely mid-flight, it always reconnects. You can even shut-off and reboot your phone, reconnect, and then bring the Phantom home! But as I said, practice all this stuff on your kitchen table first, then at extremely low altitudes and close distances!!!

Welcome, and for what it's worth not everyone's had problems. I'm 90+ flights on my P3P with almost 400k ft logged and mine flies like a dream. Completed all updates/ calibrations without a hitch and no issues to speak of. No stress cracks ( and I fly the hell out of it), a level horizon, my vps has always worked so on a so forth. So don't be scared. Get out and fly that thing! (..as I go knock on wood now)

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
OK Success on getting the DJI GO app running and registered. It would not do it last night but I had no problems this morning. Their server must have been down or something.

I am now starting the firmware update using the 16GB card that also came with the bird. So far so good as the P3 is doing what the instructions say it should do. More in about a half hour.

After all the updates are done and I get everything calibrated I will try the 64GB card and try formatting it via the app.

Wish me luck LOL:

Thank you all for sticking with me on this. :D

Update: The P3 has been updated to 1.3.2 with no issues. I will let it cool down a bit and then move onto the next step.

Update: The controller update has succeeded. I did have to put the SD card in the controller as it would not update via the GO app.

P3 now sitting in the frig to cool off before doing the IMU calibration. :eek:

IMU and camera calibration done successfully. Now to try and find the simulator mode and give that a try.

WHEE so far so good with no issues. Am I luck or what LOL:

Flight simulator worked fine. Now to let everything cool, recharge, get a check list printed up, and go work on the motorcycle today. Maybe try a first flight tomorrow.

Marc

Last edited:
Reactions: SouthernPhantom
IMU calibration -- Living in hot, humid Atlanta, I also use a refrigerator. But a lot of people here don't. As you may have seen in another thread, in a former life I was a World Cup ski-race timing official, so I don't have a fear of electronics in cold places. And a refrigerator is NOT below freezing or that moist. It just needs about 35 minutes of being chilled. While that's happening, have the battery and everything else ready to go. The software might say it doesn't need the calibration and that it's warming up. Ignore those. Do it anyway on a perfectly level (using a carpenter's level to determine) surface or table. And voila, smooth flying!

Next question.

Why does my DJI pilot app look like this on the opening/home page ? It is nothing like what I have seen on on the tutorials ?

P8150001_zpstfe1ph20.jpg

It appears I can get to the same places, except the editor??

Always something different . :)

Marc

You will love your P3. I fly down in Castle Rock all the time. You might want to do the 32 channels mod to your flight app? Check out the more channels post. Keep Flying.

That's just the front end of the new app. The editor only works after you have flight video or photos to work with.

Reactions: Oso
Next question.

Why does my DJI pilot app look like this on the opening/home page ? It is nothing like what I have seen on on the tutorials ?

P8150001_zpstfe1ph20.jpg

Marc
It's just the start up screen for the new GO app. You'll find that DJI makes changes and adds features with little updating to documentation.

I noticed in an earlier post of yours that you said you were using an iPhone 5. You may not have the best results with a 5 since the 5s is the oldest compatible iPhone. Just a heads up.

I noticed in an earlier post of yours that you said you were using an iPhone 5. You may not have the best results with a 5 since the 5s is the oldest compatible iPhone. Just a heads up.

Agree, that is not what I intend to use but is all I have right now. Ipad 3 Mini should be here in a few days and that is what I intend to use as a monitor.

Thanks.

Marc

Reactions: Oso
Most horror stories are bad piloting disguised as "fly aways". Just study t he manual and keep it close and slow. Build your skills.

Next question.

P8150001_zpstfe1ph20.jpg

Marc
This what the new app looks like. As long as the "Enter Camera View" turns blue and you can enter the main visual interface, you're fine.

Last edited:
Hey man, I'm west of Colorado Springs. Currently have a P1 but patiently waiting to get a P3A. I also ride dirt and street. CR250 for the dirt and a Buell Lightning for the street.

I get a bit overwhelmed reading all the posts on here but I know when I finally get the new one I'll be fine. I'm sure I'll be blown away by the P3 vs my P1. Just a few more side jobs to do to fund it...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub