Hello from Colorado

Reaction score
I am a new member and am awaiting my Phantom 3 to arrive any day now. I have flown RC planes and helicopters in the past but it has been a while. I am also a commercial pilot with an A&P rating but again it has been a while.

From my Avatar you can see what my real love in life is and somehow ???? I am hoping to combine aerial video with the motorcycle riding.:eek:

I have been doing a lot of reading and am now scared of this thing before it even arrives. LOL:

Transmitter binding, IMU updating, P3P firmware updating, controller firmware updating, (all with several different methods to do so), tablet firmware updating, compass calibration, all sorts of issues on the new birds. I hope it goes smoothly. :)

Great forum you have here and I am off to read more horror stories :)

Marc

Last edited:
Reactions: clackey
Welcome aboard lomax! There's no doubt the Phantom has a few kinks but overall it a joy to fly. You're going to love it, I'm sure!

Reactions: lomax
Welcome. I agree, you will love it. The P3 is really astounding.

It's great that you are reading the forum. There is so much group knowledge here!

Reactions: lomax
Thank you both. In what order should everything be done when receiving the bird?

Should I set it up and make sure everything works right out of the box? Should I update all the firmware, calibrate IMU, and update everything I can before trying it the first time?

I would assume make sure everything functions normally right out of the box first. AFTER doing that update everything and make sure it still works. If not then send it to the marine department. :rolleyes:

It should be a great learning experience at any rate.

Marc

Welcome lomax, you'll really enjoy what the P3 has to offer. I also have a commercial pilot background and this along with your RC experience will certainly help. An aviation brain gives you a little assurance but don't get complacent as a few hooks still exist in this little unit. Learn to calibrate the compass correctly using ianwood detailed explanation of what, how, when etc. I would also learn to fly a small quad like a Blade Nano QX in manual mode to up the skill level. I use a check list and follow it always. This you will be very familiar with. Enjoy! It's amazing technology. [emoji4]

Welcome lomax from Summit County! I love flying my P3P in Colorado, don't think there is a better place in the world. I have a DR-650 but have yet figured out how to ride and fly simultaneously. lol

My P3P flew perfectly right out of the box, and continues to do so after three months! Even the couple of firmware updates have gone smoothly. If you like planes and gadgets, which you obviously do, you'll have great fun with it! And the pictures and videos are amazing!

The couple of routine calibrations are not hard either -- compass and IMU -- when needed. Some of us disagree how to best do the chilling-thing before the actual IMU calibration, but as long as the unit is reasonably cold when calibrated, it'll be fine.

Here's a recent shot from mine!

DJI_0032Web.jpg

I agree with most posters. You will have a blast and be blown away. I have owned mine for about a month now and I'm still in awe at what this thing can do. I've not had one problem with my P3P that didn't turn out to be user error. You've chosen the best. Get ready to be amazed. Read the manual before it arrives and again after. Come here and read almost everything. A wealth of knowledge here. The one piece of advice I would give you in regards to flying is to go up just high enough to not run into anything, practice, learn and have fun from there. Welcome!

Reactions: Wilson Turner
Welcome lomax from Summit County! I love flying my P3P in Colorado, don't think there is a better place in the world. I have a DR-650 but have yet figured out how to ride and fly simultaneously. lol

Lets see, who do i know in Summit county with a DR LOL: But you gave me an idea.

In my rather esoteric collection of motorcycles I do have a Ural. That would make a perfect launch platform unless it has to much metal. If I could teach the monkey to fly the bird or drive the bike this could get real interesting. :)

Marc

Hey Marc, I live in Denver and can help,you get started With your phantom. I have a P3P and an inspire. PM me and Inwill give you my number. Also, Im meeting up with a group tomorrow to fly Greenland betweem castle rock and colo spgs. I will have my phantom 3 pro and my inspire. Stop by if you can.
Gregg

Of course you should keep your software and firmware updated, but always check the forums for a few days after a release before you perform the update.
The forums will tell you if there may be any problems in performing the update, or any problems with the functionality.

I'll be in Breckenridge in a month on vacation. Can't wait to go hiking with the P3P in my backpack sporting 4 batteries. Mohawk and Crystal lakes are my key hiking targets. However I wish I could have my KTM 450EXC with me.

I am a new member and am awaiting my Phantom 3 to arrive any day now. I have flown RC planes and helicopters in the past but it has been a while. I am also a commercial pilot with an A&P rating but again it has been a while.

From my Avatar you can see what my real love in life is and somehow ???? I am hoping to combine aerial video with the motorcycle riding.:eek:

I have been doing a lot of reading and am now scared of this thing before it even arrives. LOL:

Transmitter binding, IMU updating, P3P firmware updating, controller firmware updating, (all with several different methods to do so), tablet firmware updating, compass calibration, all sorts of issues on the new birds. I hope it goes smoothly. :)

Great forum you have here and I am off to read more horror stories :)

Marc

Welcome Marc !

You're going to love your P3.

There could well be some exciting new apps and features for the P3 later this year including a "follow me" function that might be great for use with a motorcycle.

Go fly your P3 for a bit and get to know the aircraft; you don't need to jump right into any FW updates right away.

:harry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1