Hello Fello Phantom Owners

Reaction score
My first post and I have a ton of questions. I have been all over the board and have found a lot of answers and learned a ton.

I'm excited to get my Phantom this week It will be exciting. I have watched the videos from the CEO on Phantom set up but I will watch them one more time this weekend so I'm ready to inbox the phantom and get it ready. This is my first time ever with an RC anything so I will make sure I move slowly. I have been assured that the phantom is pretty easy to fly and has a easy learning curve. None the less I will take it slowly.

One of he first things I want to buy is a FPV system but will hold off till I can fly it. I already own a GoPro 3 so that should be fun. I think I will get the FatShark set up once I'm ready. I have watched a ton of videos and I think it might be the easiest for someone like me who is not the best when it comes to electronics. I have much to learn. Good think I like to read and can spend time watching all sorts of videos on the subject. I'm going to also get the Anit Vibration Mount available on eBay. That should help.

I'm in a unique position with my job so this could get interesting. Just a little background. I currently run a high altitude ballon class with 7/8th graders at my middle school. I also teach photography and video editing so this thing fits right in. Here is a link to our HAB website: http://hab.forestviewmultimedia.com. I would love to get video of our next launch from a distance. That would be neat video.

Well, thanks for all the wonderful info. I will keep reading.

Welcome! I think you'll love your Phantom when you get it. It's a ton of fun. You're definitely on the right track with viewing those videos. I think the videos tell you all you need to know to get your first few flights in. I would also download the manual from DJI's website. It goes more in-depth. The only advice I think I would give a new owner is to make smaller movements on the controls until you get more confident, not that the Phantom isn't a snap to fly, and don't be in a rush to upgrade your firmware. I would turn on the IOC, though. Home Lock can be real helpful if you lose your bearings.

Have fun, and again, welcome!

-Don

Thanks for the info. I have read so much stuff it is hard to keep it all straight. Here is what I was planning for first flight.

1. GPS ATTI mode. I have a large field that will give me great satellite reception.
2. S2 will be off for now.
3. Practice going up and down.

Anything else you would like to add? Do most have to calibrate the GPS right out of the box?

Yeah hook it up to your computer and run the advanced calibration before you fly it. Enable IOC in the software. Also do the compass calibration at the field you fly at. Learn the home lock mode its a must with line of sight flying.

mnuser said:
Anything else you would like to add? Do most have to calibrate the GPS right out of the box?
Everything is calibrated fine out of the box, except for the compass. Be sure to calibrate the compass before your first flight. The videos you watched should have gone over that.

One thing that's worth mentioning is that it's a good idea to put your contact info on your Phantom in case the unthinkable happens and you lose it. It costs nothing and could get your Phantom back.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20