Hello Everyone - Advice Needed

QYV said:
well, I have nothing to say about #1. probably a decent deal... if you want a Vision+ that's just that.

The price on #2, let's do this: goal is to beat that bundle @ 2350

P2 with H3-3D = 829
Hero 4 black = 500
Boscam TS353 = 33
Boscam RX-LCD5802 = 150
FPVLR antennas (1tx 1rx) = $100
iOSD Mini = 68
PnP cable = 10
RC display mount = 35
tax, shipping, so far etc = guesstimating say $40 being liberal
Battery 2-pack = 250 (prime free shipping)
so stopping right here, we're at approximately $2015, 335 below B&H AND I have you 1 additional battery, a better FPV transmitter, receiver, and WAY better antennas. What I just spec'ed you is easily a 1+ Mile FPV setup in a non-urban environment.
quality apparently heh

That 829 would be for the regular p2 and Zenmuse. It's 959 for the P2 v2

EDIT: nevermind, that bundle is the original P2. QYV is spot on ;)

I am a photographer in Norway, and I had sort of the same dilemma. I wanted to take aerieal still photos, but with far better quality than the GoPro gan give - it's actually really really bad for stills.
You say you have a Sony RX100. Great, that is an excellent camera with relatively large sensor. No other small compacts give such a good image qualty.
After a bit of research I ended up with this setup:
- A Phantom 2 non-vision
- Sony RX100 camera
- Specially made mount for the RX100 produced by DronExpert in Netherlands
- 5 inch monitor mounted to the DJI transmitter. On this I can see what the camera sees, live feed
- I can tilt the camera stepless (almost) from 0-90 degrees
- I can trigger the shutter from the DJI transmitter
This works great. It's a heavy load, I get a flight time of around 10-12 minutes.
Here you can see some of the photos I have taken with this setup:
http://www.arcticphoto.no/flyingcamera

That looks great Flynorth - Problem is that part to mount the Sony is $800 I think. Pics look great though.

ShaggyRS6 said:
That looks great Flynorth - Problem is that part to mount the Sony is $800 I think. Pics look great though.

True, it's not cheap. But I think it's one of very few options to get high-quality stills from a Phantom.
An alternative is to make a basic mount yourself and place the camera at approx. 45 degrees or what you prefer, and use the interval timer to program the camera to take a photo every 2-3 seconds or so. The problem is you will not be able to see what you are taking photos of.
I do not believe the camera included with the Inspire will take better stills than the RX100. Not even close.

I'm replying without reading the other replies. I would say a Phantom2, with 3D gimbal and a Hero 4. My one concern is the Hero 4 being small for the gimbal. I know there are 3D printed Hero.4 brackets that adapt to gimbals and I know some have created work arounds to fit the Hero 4 in a standard gimbal.

The Hero 3 black is a good camera too and it fits the gimbal, but the Hero 4 gives you the 4K resolution, so for professional work, that might be a plus. Mbut, that is about the limit of my Hero 4 knowledge. I have looked into drones to carry cameras with changeable lens and a zoom control, etc. but it will cost much more than $2K!

Th a Inspire is something that I had wanted. They keep using the release date back and I don't want to buy a bug filled drone. Sour grape theory as I can't afford it anyway!

So, I recommend a Phantom 2, version 2.0. As for a gimbal for a Hero 4, I'm sure someone has a Hero 4, so hopefully they will help you with that. Amazon is a good place to buy from as their return policy is great.

flynorth said:
I am a photographer in Norway, and I had sort of the same dilemma. I wanted to take aerieal still photos, but with far better quality than the GoPro gan give - it's actually really really bad for stills.
You say you have a Sony RX100. Great, that is an excellent camera with relatively large sensor. No other small compacts give such a good image qualty.
After a bit of research I ended up with this setup:
- A Phantom 2 non-vision
- Sony RX100 camera
- Specially made mount for the RX100 produced by DronExpert in Netherlands
- 5 inch monitor mounted to the DJI transmitter. On this I can see what the camera sees, live feed
- I can tilt the camera stepless (almost) from 0-90 degrees
- I can trigger the shutter from the DJI transmitter
This works great. It's a heavy load, I get a flight time of around 10-12 minutes.
Here you can see some of the photos I have taken with this setup:
http://www.arcticphoto.no/flyingcamera

The 12MP stills look great from my Hero 4. I know MP isn't the only factor. Good lens is important as many other things. How much does that Sony RX100 cost? What is the MP?

EDIT: Never mind, I just looked. If you didn't have one already, the price is a tad steep. I kno about the larger sensor. But, isn't even 12MP versus 20MP not a huge difference in terms of prints? Unless you plan on huge prints. Most people can't tell the difference between an 8X10 shot with a 5MP versus a film camera?

My other cameras are a Samsung 12x optical zoom, if thee was a way to control the zoom, 16.2MP and a Digital SLR that was 36MP with multiple lens and accessories. Until it was stolen, by a low life. You know what, who I hired to feed my pets when I was gone. He ransacked my entire house, plus sheds and left a huge mess. I'm missing two very nice, brand new Kimber pistols, a ring my Dad left me, which was my most valuable procession since he passed. With the right circumstances, I think,anyone could kill! I am not that type, but boy am I now. I come home hoping he is in my house.

Way OT, sorry. At least he didn't steal my Dad's Nikon F1. Back on subject, I'm big on U/W photography, I,even taught it along with teaching SCUBA. My Nikonis is better, but I like my Hero. Too. Just need a flash. Kinda worthless without.

Forgive me! I'm sick and not myself.

The Sony has 20 Mpix, but that is only a small part of the image quality. The Carl Zeiss lens on a Sony is in a different league than the GoPro. The dynamic range is far, far better, shadow and highlight details are better, internal image processing and electronics are better, and so on. It's the only small compact camera that comes close to a DSLR.
I sell photos professionally taken with the RX100, my customers would laugh at still photos from the GoPro.
For still photos, they are not comparable.

I use the RX-100 over my D800 and D7100 for some shots. The V1 is an outstanding camera and dirt cheap right now.

ShaggyRS6 said:
Did you build that yourself?

yep. I mean obviously I didn't build the Phantom or H3-3D... but with all those parts I listed in the same room, you're looking at under 1 hour to assemble it all. I could help you personally or show you some videos. basically it takes longer to unscrew & re-screw the 16 screws that hold the top of the Phantom on, than it does actually installing all that kit :)

Captain Obvious said:
PhantomFanatic said:
The 12MP stills look great from my Hero 4. I know MP isn't the only factor. Good lens is important as many other things. How much does that Sony RX100 cost? What is the MP?

https://www.google.com/search?q=+How+mu ... 8&oe=utf-8

The stills from the Hero 4 are mediocre when compared to higher quality cameras. Don't fall into the MP trap.

The most important factors are quality of the lens and the size of the sensor(see above).

so how do hero 4 stills compare to Vision+ stills? I have no idea

Which model of RX100 do you have? If you have the model 2 or 3, you can get video out and control the camera. GoPro stills, even from the model 4 are not in the same league as the Sony. The Phantom can carry the Rx100 but without a real gimbal.

syotr said:
Which model of RX100 do you have? If you have the model 2 or 3, you can get video out and control the camera. GoPro stills, even from the model 4 are not in the same league as the Sony. The Phantom can carry the Rx100 but without a real gimbal.

I have the first version

ShaggyRS6 said:
syotr said:

I have the first version
I have that one as well. You will not be able to get video out but you can mount a tiny video camera beside it. You won't be seeing exactly what the camera is seeing but you can at least be sure where it is pointed.Some of these cameras only weigh like 5 grams.
There is no easy way to trigger this RX100 model but you can hold the shutter down with a rubber band and shoot in continuous mode. Using raw plus jpeg will slow it down when the buffer fills. You just throw away the shots you don't want. For video, you will have to start the camera before you take off. I have seen some lovely video shot with this camera from a Phantom, none of the ugly fisheye crap like GoPro.

Captain Obvious said:
PhantomFanatic said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=+How+mu ... 8&oe=utf-8

The stills from the Hero 4 are mediocre when compared to higher quality cameras. Don't fall into the MP trap.

The most important factors are quality of the lens and the size of the sensor(see above).

Yes, I know that and I thought I stated that, but I see that I did not. It was in my head, in the fingers buffer. Something went wrong from the buffer to my finger mechanisms.

So I did a lot of thinking the past 2 days and I have listened to you guys give me advice, so thanks. So the Inspire is a no go, so that settles that. I dont want to build my own and I don't want to spend a lot of money on the gadget that lets you attach an RX-100, so this limits me to a Phantom 2 Hero 4 Black edition or a Vision Plus 2.

I spent a good amount of time today looking at the advantages of each. They both have pro's and cons. I love the fact that I could use the GoPro for other types videos if I went that route, but I also like that functionality you get with the vision plus.

If I did go with the GoPro I would need FPV - so that puts the price up a little more.

I still cant make up my mind which way to go. I dont want to compromise quality, stills or video, so that points at the GoPro, but id like to have complete control of what I shoot and when.....grrr that point the the Vision Plus.

This is so bloody hard.

ShaggyRS6 said:
So I did a lot of thinking the past 2 days and I have listened to you guys give me advice, so thanks. So the Inspire is a no go, so that settles that. I dont want to build my own and I don't want to spend a lot of money on the gadget that lets you attach an RX-100, so this limits me to a Phantom 2 Hero 4 Black edition or a Vision Plus 2.

I spent a good amount of time today looking at the advantages of each. They both have pro's and cons. I love the fact that I could use the GoPro for other types videos if I went that route, but I also like that functionality you get with the vision plus.

If I did go with the GoPro I would need FPV - so that puts the price up a little more.

I still cant make up my mind which way to go. I dont want to compromise quality, stills or video, so that points at the GoPro, but id like to have complete control of what I shoot and when.....grrr that point the the Vision Plus.

This is so bloody hard.

You do have complete control of your images and videos with the GoPro but it occurs in post-production. As long as you have a 32-64GB high speed memory card (make sure you use a GP recommended one) you can take all video and/or stills you want as long as you remember to turn on the camera ;) I have heard, though I don't know first hand, that you get better quality with a GP camera than with the P2V+ camera. Everyone has an opinion on this but I am more than satisfied with my Hero 3+ Black so the Hero 4 must really be nice! Plus, UAV-Outlet is now accepting pre-orders for the DJI H4-3D gimbal which is a Zenmuse built specifically for a Phantom 2 with GoPro 4 camera http://www.uav-outlet.com/products/dji-zenmuse-h4-3d-for-gopro-4-phantom-2-version.html so you are covered there as well!

David can you (or anyone else) recommend in particular Hobby store or anyone like that I can get a good bundle from. Someone mentioned the range on the B&H bundle was not great. I don't want to build my own.

ShaggyRS6 said:
David can you (or anyone else) recommend in particular Hobby store or anyone like that I can get a good bundle from. Someone mentioned the range on the B&H bundle was not great. I don't want to build my own.

I like B&H simply cause they are big and send fresh product. That said. there are many other excellent vendors. The two that stand out to me are http://www.uav-outlet.com/ and http://www.dronefly.com/. Both are DJI authorized vendors, have good prices, and great customer service :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl