Hello, bit of help needed.

Excellent,
Thank you so much!
I'm planning on something new Friday, future looks bright!

Also my buddy has an iPhone 6 ( not sure which one ) but he might stop by after work, and let me try his phone, but if not, I will update by Friday, to keep you informed of my progress!
Hope you all had a great day, and have an even better evening!:)

J Dot
:cool:
You are such a patient and positive guy. It's very refreshing.

Good learning thread !! :)

I don't know J Dot, if I was a betting man I'd bet you 5 to 1 your iPad 3 and iPhone 4s is not the problem. Both those devices work just fine for me to connect my P3P to the Go app. Like I mentioned earlier I don't know about flying with them,but they work fine loading up the DJI Go app.

I hope I'm wrong about the device, but if my devices connect then so should yours. I even updated to the same ios firmware you have on your iPad just to make sure :) The only difference between our system's is your using an "A" vr. R/C while mine is a "C".
Does your RC have the HMDI module in it? Have read a few threads where the HDMI module was the problem.

Reactions: J Dot
You can still fly your phantom without the app or a device. But you wouldn't have any control of the camera, of the various parameters nor flight controls.

Ah, likely in ATTI mode, with no RTH path. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Good learning thread !! :)

I don't know J Dot, if I was a betting man I'd bet you 5 to 1 your iPad 3 and iPhone 4s is not the problem. Both those devices work just fine for me to connect my P3P to the Go app. Like I mentioned earlier I don't know about flying with them,but they work fine loading up the DJI Go app.

I hope I'm wrong about the device, but if my devices connect then so should yours. I even updated to the same ios firmware you have on your iPad just to make sure :) The only difference between our system's is your using an "A" vr. R/C while mine is a "C".
Does your RC have the HMDI module in it? Have read a few threads where the HDMI module was the problem.

No,
Stock, just a USB, and mini USB port.
I bought the A because members said it was the best version to have, something about b & c having encoding on them, so I went with the A, paid $70 for it.not bad!

I figured buying used I would most likely not just start up and fly, lol, but WOW, so much to learn, all new to me ( as I'm sure most of you that upgraded from P2 ) been here too, lol!
But all in all PRETTY COOL! I'm enjoying every minute of it, and have ALWAYS loved a challenge, finally got a good opponent I guess, as it is acting quite stubborn, at the moment!

But all good!
TRUELY, I have NO idea what is up other than device? Or possibly a bad USB on Tx? If I could just get one device to open the app, I can retrieve Tx firmware, then I'd be really happy, but unfortunately I keep running into a wall! I tried all I could think of, airplane mode on, off , wifi on-off I even deleted all movies, APP's, music, pictures, everything I could off of the iPad ( 64gb version Verizon service ) cell on-off,power on-off, all with same results, unless I have 3 bad cables? it has to be either defective port on Tx ( USB ) or device? I don't know what else it could be? It is just not wanting to connect for me?

Tx appears to be linked to bird,so that part looks good, just not sure?
Lol

Been spending my down time to review the manual, settings/camera stuff mostly. Pretty cool, man they really put you in control!
Lots of features! I'm really excited about what this will do and the fun I'll have when I get her up and going! A+

also I even reverted back a few app versions about 4 I believe ( maybe 5 ) but still no avail! So don't think it is app. Has to be one of only 3 things
1) tx defective USB port
2) cable bad
3) device
As I believe that is where the magic happens! Something to do with the tether! I might go buy another cable, I ordered wrong , I ordered 6 inch cable ( I thought, ) came 6 feet! DOH! so I have it zip tied in a loop and attached to Tx! Lol...:rolleyes: ( Fred Sanford comes to mind! Bah bah ban nah ) but that is another story!

Don't worry
I have NOT given up , we will figure this out sooner or later! I have complete confidence, we will succeed!:)

J Dot

Take care, Fly safe

Ps: I'll keep trying with my iPad 3, maybe I've overlooked something?
At least till I get a replacement!:D

Reactions: dirkclod
You can still fly your phantom without the app or a device. But you wouldn't have any control of the camera, of the various parameters nor flight controls.

Ah, likely in ATTI mode, with no RTH path. ;-)

RedHotPoker

I've tried CSC ( props off ) and nothing! Only thing I get from Tx is camera movement with yaw stick, and camera to pitch with dial wheel.
I've tried a few times to no avail ( just to see if Tx was TRUELY linked , but got nowhere! ) Also being used and from out of state, what about compass cal on the P3p? Is there a way to calibrate compass, without app?

J Dot

Yeah, best wait, and get it calibrated and check it over, for any problematic flight characteristics before your very first real adventure.
If would also be advantageous to know, up front, which firmware versions it contains already.

RedHotPoker

Yes
My plan, is to follow rules to a T!
Device from the list, gonna go ahead a buy a new shorter cable, then if I still have an issue, I'll know it is some other issue, and can start tracking it down from there. At least I'll be on the right track, and not guessing. Most logical approach!
Plus I'll ultimately need a better device to get the most out of my craft, so I'll be up to date ( not on 4K ) but I can get all that along the way!
Might have to be a LONG trip! Lol:)

I really do appreciate all your help, again to EVERYONE as well!

Hopefully we have some success soon! Can't wait to see it in action!
But for now, P2v/p2v+ fun!:D

J Dot

I've tried CSC ( props off ) and nothing! Only thing I get from Tx is camera movement with yaw stick, and camera to pitch with dial wheel.
I've tried a few times to no avail ( just to see if Tx was TRUELY linked , but got nowhere! ) Also being used and from out of state, what about compass cal on the P3p? Is there a way to calibrate compass, without app?

J Dot
Hi bro,
Glad to see your moving up to the P3; it is a learning curve for sure!

Sorry it's been such a problem to get you in the air! We want you to get there!

You need the app for everything including compass calibration!

Not having a pad/tablet/phone that is compatible with the app is just part of the problem you face with your used bird. I don't think your Phantom is linked with the transmitter.

This could be for firmware conflicts, like others have posted if they were never paired. Did you buy them as a pair? I know it is possible to brick a working unit with a failed update. DJI can reset to current firmware if you can't get past the failed update.

It would be great if we could get you another P3 flier to help you sort this out locally.

Best wishes!

Reactions: dirkclod and J Dot
Got a friend with an iOS device who supports our RC hobbies?
Borrow theirs and trial by fire... Atleast get the drone updated and fully calibrated.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: JoBe and J Dot
Thanks guys,
For the help, kind words, advice, and most of all friendship! I love this place!

I'm off to work, until later ( raining cats and dogs here! Anyone need a puppy? Lol

I will review ( apparition's ) post, as it sounds like something to look into, for sure!

Yes bought both SEPERATELY!
( FPLVERT ), maybe not the wisest choice?

But picked up the bird with no Tx $450 , could not pass it up, but with no Tx or charger ( bought Tx eBay ) charge was bought at Best Buy!
Also thanks for the welcome to P3, I'm really excited to see you here!
I'm having a blast with you guys!

Yes ( R.H.P. ) I've had a few people now, state that they have used older iOS devices ( iPad 3, and iphone4s ) with success, ( not so much to fly with, but more for calibrations, firmware, ect. Me, NOT SO MUCH! Lol.

I'm not giving up, I'm leaning twords, USB, or Tx issue in general, weather firmware conflict, or bad USB port?

I need to get a newer device anyhow, to use permanently with the bird! ( no kids, lol ) phantom only!

Now
HDMI output module, I have been researching them, if I go this route, what are some of the benefits, the HDMI module, will bring to me / my craft? ( if I upgrade! ) thanks.

Will dig more when I get home tonight, I did open the back of Tx ( little cover plate over USB ports ( on rear ) all ribbons looked good ( to the eye ), all LOOKS to be factory with no damage ( visual damage ), but did not want to dig further, as I don't want to accidentally damage something being inexperienced!

Lastly
Can you purchase a replacement STOCK rear board ( USB gimmick board )? Or since I'm replacing anyhow, just go for the HDMI one?

J Dot

As always, Thank you all, and have a GREAT day! Don't work to hard!

Thanks guys,
For the help, kind words, advice, and most of all friendship! I love this place!

I'm off to work, until later ( raining cats and dogs here! Anyone need a puppy? Lol

I will review ( apparition's ) post, as it sounds like something to look into, for sure!

Yes bought both SEPERATELY!
( FPLVERT ), maybe not the wisest choice?

But picked up the bird with no Tx $450 , could not pass it up, but with no Tx or charger ( bought Tx eBay ) charge was bought at Best Buy!
Also thanks for the welcome to P3, I'm really excited to see you here!
I'm having a blast with you guys!

Yes ( R.H.P. ) I've had a few people now, state that they have used older iOS devices ( iPad 3, and iphone4s ) with success, ( not so much to fly with, but more for calibrations, firmware, ect. Me, NOT SO MUCH! Lol.

I'm not giving up, I'm leaning twords, USB, or Tx issue in general, weather firmware conflict, or bad USB port?

I need to get a newer device anyhow, to use permanently with the bird! ( no kids, lol ) phantom only!

Now
HDMI output module, I have been researching them, if I go this route, what are some of the benefits, the HDMI module, will bring to me / my craft? ( if I upgrade! ) thanks.

Will dig more when I get home tonight, I did open the back of Tx ( little cover plate over USB ports ( on rear ) all ribbons looked good ( to the eye ), all LOOKS to be factory with no damage ( visual damage ), but did not want to dig further, as I don't want to accidentally damage something being inexperienced!

Lastly
Can you purchase a replacement STOCK rear board ( USB gimmick board )? Or since I'm replacing anyhow, just go for the HDMI one?

J Dot

As always, Thank you all, and have a GREAT day! Don't work to hard!
My USB worked great about a year ago but didn't work when I got it out last week. I have no current need for the hdmi but it did fix my problem so it was worth it.

Reactions: J Dot and JoBe
No,
Stock, just a USB, and mini USB port.
I bought the A because members said it was the best version to have, something about b & c having encoding on them, so I went with the A, paid $70 for it.not bad!

I figured buying used I would most likely not just start up and fly, lol, but WOW, so much to learn, all new to me ( as I'm sure most of you that upgraded from P2 ) been here too, lol!
But all in all PRETTY COOL! I'm enjoying every minute of it, and have ALWAYS loved a challenge, finally got a good opponent I guess, as it is acting quite stubborn, at the moment!

But all good!
TRUELY, I have NO idea what is up other than device? Or possibly a bad USB on Tx? If I could just get one device to open the app, I can retrieve Tx firmware, then I'd be really happy, but unfortunately I keep running into a wall! I tried all I could think of, airplane mode on, off , wifi on-off I even deleted all movies, APP's, music, pictures, everything I could off of the iPad ( 64gb version Verizon service ) cell on-off,power on-off, all with same results, unless I have 3 bad cables? it has to be either defective port on Tx ( USB ) or device? I don't know what else it could be? It is just not wanting to connect for me?

Tx appears to be linked to bird,so that part looks good, just not sure?
Lol

Been spending my down time to review the manual, settings/camera stuff mostly. Pretty cool, man they really put you in control!
Lots of features! I'm really excited about what this will do and the fun I'll have when I get her up and going! A+

also I even reverted back a few app versions about 4 I believe ( maybe 5 ) but still no avail! So don't think it is app. Has to be one of only 3 things
1) tx defective USB port
2) cable bad
3) device
As I believe that is where the magic happens! Something to do with the tether! I might go buy another cable, I ordered wrong , I ordered 6 inch cable ( I thought, ) came 6 feet! DOH! so I have it zip tied in a loop and attached to Tx! Lol...:rolleyes: ( Fred Sanford comes to mind! Bah bah ban nah ) but that is another story!

Don't worry
I have NOT given up , we will figure this out sooner or later! I have complete confidence, we will succeed!:)

J Dot

Take care, Fly safe

Ps: I'll keep trying with my iPad 3, maybe I've overlooked something?
At least till I get a replacement!:D

Just getting back with you since we last hooked up. 1st thing I want to say in comparison to the PV2+.......there is none! The P3 with having the lightbridge absolutely blows the PV2+ away in every fashion. When you install a windsurfer behind the stock antennas and you fly 2-3 miles away and still see clear video without lag, then fly home, or better yet set RTH and while it's fly home you can rotate the a/c in ANY direction you want and take pics or video of things is so cool! And when you make that 2-3 mile flight, I promise you will experience some bigtime adrenaline rush. I nearly threw up the 1st time in week 1 of having the P3 when I flew out to 3000ft. I had my thumb above the RTH button all the way, and nervous like crazy. Btw, let it be known here if you update to the 1.9.6 firmware performance has been reduced a lot compared to the firmware below 1.5.0.

My opinion for why they have removed performance at least 2 times now that we know of, is all due to the smart battery. When the P3 came out May 2015, they had us using the same firmware for the Inspire1. I got mine in the 1st batch and the 1st 3 days firmware did not even exist. We were then given the I1 firmware and a update 2 days later that made it more compatible for the P3. So their interest was in getting the firmware worked on, plus we also didn't have the simulator either. It came along late summer early fall.

As I remember, the battery firmware didn't get touched until firmware 1.5.0. The same day they changed the firmware version on dji.com without any mention of it anywhere. Only a small group caught it and let others know so they could update again. Then the a/c's began popping up with members posting their a/c suddenly dropped out of the sky. This went on for over a week at least. Then they had what was referred to as a patch for the battery firmware. It was loaded just like normal firmware. I'm pretty sure the firmware version at this point was 1.5.3. And soon after another update came out (1.5.7) which at this point the speed was reduced when outside temp falls below 70 degrees, and it slowed the a/c from 35mph to 25mph. And the RTH speed was like 19-21mph.....

The dji main focus on the smart battery has been to limit the life of the batteries. Prior to battery firmware changes it looked like we could easily get 250-300 flights out of the batteries. Now I'm not sure if 100 flights is possible. The way they have set now, you might get 7-8min fly time in cold weather. The point is....they are very determined to make money on their smart battery. Btw.....did I mention they set the firmware to not fly with other manufacturers batteries?! (That is pitiful)

Ok now on to your setup. I have the 300A Controller and I think you said you did as well. I'm not positive, but I think the firmware can be installed on this R/C using usb. It is either they stopped allowing it being done on the newer R/C's, or they stopped it on all R/C's when the encryption period started? I would look around phantomhelp.com or youtube for details that applied a year ago and see how to install the firmware if you have the 300A.

Last edited:
My USB worked great about a year ago but didn't work when I got it out last week. I have no current need for the hdmi but it did fix my problem so it was worth it.

Yeah that reminds me...I paid $100 for the HDMI upgrade and after installing I found out you really only need it if you are going to use goggles when flying.

Just getting back with you since we last hooked up. 1st thing I want to say in comparison to the PV2+.......there is none! The P3 with having the lightbridge absolutely blows the PV2+ away in every fashion. When you install a windsurfer behind the stock antennas and you fly 2-3 miles away and still see clear video without lag, then fly home, or better yet set RTH and while it's fly home you can rotate the a/c in ANY direction you want and take pics or video of things is so cool! And when you make that 2-3 mile flight, I promise you will experience some bigtime adrenaline rush. I nearly threw up the 1st time in week 1 of having the P3 when I flew out to 3000ft. I had my thumb above the RTH button all the way, and nervous like crazy. Btw, let it be known here if you update to the 1.9.6 firmware performance has been reduced a lot compared to the firmware below 1.5.0.

My opinion for why they have removed performance at least 2 times now that we know of, is all due to the smart battery. When the P3 came out May 2015, they had us using the same firmware for the Inspire1. I got mine in the 1st batch and the 1st 3 days firmware did not even exist. We were then given the I1 firmware and a update 2 days later that made it more compatible for the P3. So their interest was in getting the firmware worked on, plus we also didn't have the simulator either. It came along late summer early fall.

As I remember, the battery firmware didn't get touched until firmware 1.5.0. The same day they changed the firmware version on dji.com without any mention of it anywhere. Only a small group caught it and let others know so the could update again. Then the a/c's began popping up with members posting their a/c suddenly dropped out of the sky. This went on for over a week at least. Then they had what was referred to as a patch for the battery firmware. It was loaded just like normal firmware. I'm pretty sure the firmware at this point was 1.5.3. And soon after another update came out which at the point the speed was reduced when outside temp fell below 70 degrees, it slowed the a/c from 35mph to 25mph. And the RTH speed was like 19-21mph.....

The main focus on the smart battery has been to limit the life of the batteries. Prior to battery firmware changes it looked like we could easily get 250-300 flights out of the batteries. Now I'm not sure if 100 flights is possible. The way they have set now, you might get 7-8 fly time in cold weather. The point is....they are very determined to make money on their smart battery. Btw.....did I mention they set the firmware to not fly with other manufacturers batteries?! (That is pitiful)

Ok now on to your setup. I have the 300A Controller and I think you said you did as well. I'm not positive, but I think the firmware can be installed on this R/C using usb. It is they either stopped allowing it being done on the newer R/C's, or they stopped it on all R/C's when the encryption period started? I would look around phantomhelp.com or youtube for details that applied a year ago and see how to install the firmware if you have the 300A.

Frank, not to argue, and with prior LiPo experience limited to 10yrs of 450 CP-helis only...

I never had a LiPo last beyond about 60 flights. This 'life' was determined when flight times went from 7.5-8 min. down to 4 or so. (Sport flying, no 3D stuff.)

This using on-board LiPo volt monitors/alarms, 40C rated batteries where 30C would work, proper balance charging ALWAYS, and never draining below 80% capacity.

So I was shocked to see DJI even mention 300 cycles thus I'm not so inclined to believe any type of 'rigging' to limit lifetime.
They may have just been to optimistic for 'marketing purposes'.

No arguement, just my experience.

Frank, not to argue, and with prior LiPo experience limited to 10yrs of 450 CP-helis only...

I never had a LiPo last beyond about 60 flights. This 'life' was determined when flight times went from 7.5-8 min. down to 4 or so. (Sport flying, no 3D stuff.)

This using on-board LiPo volt monitors/alarms, 40C rated batteries where 30C would work, proper balance charging ALWAYS, and never draining below 80% capacity.

So I was shocked to see DJI even mention 300 cycles thus I'm not so inclined to believe any type of 'rigging' to limit lifetime.
They may have just been to optimistic for 'marketing purposes'.

No arguement, just my experience.

The number mentioned about how long they would last(number of flights) came from common talk others would say from time to time.

So now you are only getting 4 minute flights, when cold out?

The number mentioned about how long they would last(number of flights) came from common talk others would say from time to time.

So now you are only getting 4 minute flights, when cold out?
No, no. That was for a 450 helicopter. Just comparimg my previous experience to your mention of reduced life via firmware.

No, no. That was for a 450 helicopter. Just comparimg my previous experience to your mention of reduced life via firmware.

Ok..... Btw, I didn't understand what you were saying here --> "thus I'm not so inclined to believe any type of 'rigging' to limit lifetime."

Ok..... Btw, I didn't understand what you were saying here --> "thus I'm not so inclined to believe any type of 'rigging' to limit lifetime."

This comment:" The dji main focus on the smart battery has been to limit the life of the batteries. Prior to battery firmware changes it looked like we could easily get 250-300 flights out of the batteries. Now I'm not sure if 100 flights is possible."

My point was I never got more than 60 flights from properly maintained LiPos. You seemed to suggest they (DJI) are limiting life via f/w from 300 to 100 flights.

I never got 100 from any Hobby 3S LiPo ever!!!

J Dot it would be nice if we lived near each other so we could play lol
I really enjoy trouble shooting as well, just wish I had more knowledge about the subject.

You will get it going, if it is at all possible!
It sure appears as though it is a firmware or USB issue with RC.

Wish I knew why my iPad will allows me access to the Go app without the aircraft hooked up. Like I mentioned before something must be cached in the iPad that allows it to do that? If only we knew what the iOS app is accessing and where, I could send you my files.

Best of luck ! :)

Reactions: J Dot and JoBe

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20