Hello all

Reaction score
First off ill start by saying i am new to quads. I have been an rc pilot for 12 years, i fly heli and planes micro- giant scale. I'm not new to gopro been using one since the first came out.

I must say what you all post is amazing and im now hooked and ready to purchase. Few questions, in your honest opinion should i look toward the vision or use the gopro one. Any help or info will help

Thanks

Millbilly said:
First off ill start by saying i am new to quads. I have been an rc pilot for 12 years, i fly heli and planes micro- giant scale. I'm not new to gopro been using one since the first came out.

I must say what you all post is amazing and im now hooked and ready to purchase. Few questions, in your honest opinion should i look toward the vision or use the gopro one. Any help or info will help

Thanks

Welcome, I went through the same dilemma 1 month ago. Vision, or Phantom 2 with gimbal and GoPro and FPV.

So I went for the Vision. It was everything ready out of the box. FPV, higher megapixel then the GoPro, Phantom ready to fly.
It even shoots RAW photos which I could edit in Lightroom.
First day I got it I was over the moon. Had my first flight and was full of adrenaline. The video was ok, albeit very shaky, and the photos were below my expectations, but I didn't care as I had the best time flying.

I then meet Shrimpfarmer as can be seen in this video https://vimeo.com/86848888 (This includes some vision and some P2 GoPro
and he had the GoPro with Zenmuse gimbal and full screen FPV. I suddenly lost all love for my Phantom Vision. I had that gut curling feeling I had made a very big mistake.
His footage was so much better then mine. So I made that dreaded call to the store. "Please can I return my Vision and exchange for a P2 with Zenmuse and FatShark Attitude goggles.
Amazingly they agreed to do a swop, with about £300 to pay extra.

This weekend was my first flight and the results was a smooth flight, no shaky video and an FPV system I can actually see in daylight.
Here is the result of that footage https://vimeo.com/87961908

Anyway, if you aren't precious about quality and won't suffer from gear envy , and just want to fly with some basic footage, the Vision is fantastic and you will also go through the same adrenaline I went through on my first flights.
I'm sure you will make the right choice. Let us know which way you go, and show us your creation. :)

dtdyer01 said:
Millbilly said:

Thanks

Welcome, I went through the same dilemma 1 month ago. Vision, or Phantom 2 with gimbal and GoPro and FPV.

So I went for the Vision. It was everything ready out of the box. FPV, higher megapixel then the GoPro, Phantom ready to fly.
It even shoots RAW photos which I could edit in Lightroom.
First day I got it I was over the moon. Had my first flight and was full of adrenaline. The video was ok, albeit very shaky, and the photos were below my expectations, but I didn't care as I had the best time flying.

I then meet Shrimpfarmer as can be seen in this video https://vimeo.com/86848888 (This includes some vision and some P2 GoPro
and he had the GoPro with Zenmuse gimbal and full screen FPV. I suddenly lost all love for my Phantom Vision. I had that gut curling feeling I had made a very big mistake.
His footage was so much better then mine. So I made that dreaded call to the store. "Please can I return my Vision and exchange for a P2 with Zenmuse and FatShark Attitude goggles.
Amazingly they agreed to do a swop, with about £300 to pay extra.

This weekend was my first flight and the results was a smooth flight, no shaky video and an FPV system I can actually see in daylight.
Here is the result of that footage https://vimeo.com/87961908

Anyway, if you aren't precious about quality and won't suffer from gear envy , and just want to fly with some basic footage, the Vision is fantastic and you will also go through the same adrenaline I went through on my first flights.
I'm sure you will make the right choice. Let us know which way you go, and show us your creation. :)

This is exactly what i wanted to hear. First off great video and i hope your wife wasnt mad when you brought the girls home all muddy. Lol. Do they make a gimbal mount for the vision camera? Just trying to weigh all options before i pull the trigger. Im looking for the best quality video i can shoot.

Thanks for the help

Millbilly said:
This is exactly what i wanted to hear. First off great video and i hope your wife wasnt mad when you brought the girls home all muddy. Lol. Do they make a gimbal mount for the vision camera? Just trying to weigh all options before i pull the trigger. Im looking for the best quality video i can shoot.

Thanks for the help

There are third party gimbals coming out, although quite pricey, so that is another option. If you already have a gopro camera it can work out even more expensive. However if you don't its worth considering.

Pros: out the box system and ready, although you will need to need to fix the camera to the gimbal,
Cons: quality still not a touch on a GoPro 3 or 3+ black. FPV options are limited

dtdyer01 said:
Millbilly said:

Thanks for the help

There are third party gimbals coming out, although quite pricey, so that is another option. If you already have a gopro camera it can work out even more expensive. However if you don't its worth considering.

Pros: out the box system and ready, although you will need to need to fix the camera to the gimbal,
Cons: quality still not a touch on a GoPro 3 or 3+ black. FPV options are limited

So, in your honest opinion wich is the preferred for video seeing you have had both?

Thanks

For me it came down to the fact that you can use the GoPro at times other than just on the Phantom. It cost about the same (I paid under 1200 for my P2 with Zenmuse Gimbal and GopPro Hero 3+ Black). So you spend similar money to get smoother video, a camera you can use on more than just the Phantom, and a camera that has tons and tons of aftermarket support. I didn't care to have telemetry (although you can add that on with a FPV setup), and I didn't like the FPV idea of the P2V anyways (don't care to use my phone that I can hardly see in in daylight to fly my Phantom).

BadassBlaze said:
For me it came down to the fact that you can use the GoPro at times other than just on the Phantom. It cost about the same (I paid under 1200 for my P2 with Zenmuse Gimbal and GopPro Hero 3+ Black). So you spend similar money to get smoother video, a camera you can use on more than just the Phantom, and a camera that has tons and tons of aftermarket support. I didn't care to have telemetry (although you can add that on with a FPV setup), and I didn't like the FPV idea of the P2V anyways (don't care to use my phone that I can hardly see in in daylight to fly my Phantom).

So what i plan to use this for i will want FPV do they make a good set up for use with the gopro? I will be flying in some tight quarters.

Thanks

Millbilly said:
BadassBlaze said:

So what i plan to use this for i will want FPV do they make a good set up for use with the gopro? I will be flying in some tight quarters.

Thanks

From what I've read yes. I looks like a very simple connection to make from the GoPro to the FPV transmitter. I haven't done a whole lot of digging as it will be a long while before I fly FPV, but it is something I would be interested in.

Millbilly said:

Thanks

it was the same for me got my p2v about 11 weeks ago my poor heils have not move since I must dust them down at some point :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers