heliports

Reaction score
I usually use the Hover app to see if I'm near an airport, I tried the FAA B4UFly app and it shows that my home is in range of a heliport at Broward County Arena BB&T Center where the Florida Panthers play. Yeah I get it, some rich people might fly in occasionally to go to a game but do we need to attempt to make contact with someone, there is no contact info when you click on it, any idea, plus every hospital around here has a heliport.

How are you supposed to handle all of these?

So to quote from that article, Section 6.C.5

When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the model aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation. Model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport).

I'm in the same boat. There are 3 hospitals that cover the entire city. No way to contact them and they don't have a schedule of when flights are coming in anyway. I contacted the airport tower. They instructed me to call before I start and after I'm done. They put some sort of alert in their system that warns other aircraft. They want me to call when I'm done so it isn't broadcasting all the time. I figure that tower also covers the air traffic for the hospital.

Yes, but heliports are not airports.

The way I read it, when it comes to heliports,only 6 d. applies - that is, the phrase "emergency services." In other words, I "should be aware" of NOTAMS which might apply to a nearby hospital.

Note that the link in that paragraph of AC 9157A appears to be dead. But you can make it work. After the page comes up advising you that it's a dead link, delete the space after the word "traffic" and the link will work.

According to the FAA rules, an airport is a facility "used or intended" for landing and take offs of aircraft. You don't need to use your imagination to figure out what they define and aircraft as.

I suspect this heliport is used for medivacs. Use your discretion. You might contact the stadium manager and just tell him you won't fly during events. Or something along that line.

S

I'm thinking the FAA needs to tighten that definition of airport for the drone era. If a heliport is an airport, then there would be a 5 mile radius around every heliport in the country.

Reactions: Sagebrush
I'm thinking the FAA needs to tighten that definition of airport for the drone era. If a heliport is an airport, then there would be a 5 mile radius around every heliport in the country.
After looking at the map at B4UFLY, I believe they all are in a 5 mile radius. I agree with many others that they should be at least in a 2 mile radius. Especially, since they takeoff & land in an almost vertical sense.

After looking at the map at B4UFLY, I believe they all are in a 5 mile radius. I agree with many others that they should be at least in a 2 mile radius. Especially, since they takeoff & land in an almost vertical sense.

It used to be 3 miles from an airport.

The past lack of action by the FAA has prompted some overreaction to appease the non-pilot, non-educated public. If we can get to a state where there isn't a negative story about a drone every day, these restrictions should become more relaxed. But that will still be a long and slow process.

The laws and guidelines have not evolved like the model aircraft industry has. Look at the current laws for commercial use. Makes sense for a plane when that was really the only option. It was still a bit ridiculous for RC planes, but that audience I imagine has been quite small over the years.

The heliport I'm in the 5 mile radius puts me actually 4.75 miles from the epicenter. I've been flying within this radius over the last 5 years with my Phantoms. Even longer with my fixed wings with absolutely no issues. I called the heliport today with no answer except for weather & flight info. So, as far as I'm concerned, I did my best to notify them, & I'll continue to fly within this radius as I've done in the past. But I will fly with caution as per FAA guidelines.

As a veteran in the NAS, but a newbie in the civilian drone world, I find after considerable research, the "newly published" Advisory Circular AC 91-57A Change 1, dated January 11, 2016, provides excellent guidance under paragraph 6.c (5). For hospital heliports, which my home flying location is within ~3.5 miles, I will try to work with the hospital heliport to develop a procedure and points of contact. I will also document what I do for backup. Both heliports are in uncontrolled airspace. I strongly recommend AC 91-57A Change 1.

Yes - everybody on this site should be very familiar with it since it pertains to all hobby UAS pilots. See attached.

Edit: I guess I already linked it a few posts up, didn't I? I'm workin' hard here...:cool:

Attachments

• AC_91-57A_Ch_1.pdf
    176.4 KB · Views: 238
Reactions: stewball5

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1