Heliports and Gliderports

Reaction score
I have read all the other threads about heliports but still have questions regarding the heliport laws. I have been flying both a phantom 3 and now 4 from my house for the past 6 months. On the B4UFLY app, there is both a hospital heliport 4.18 miles from my house and a gliderport 5.2 miles from me. I know I can contact the hospital and ask to fly, but the gliderport!!?? I know it is just out of range, but if I plan on going to my favorite trail I encroach on their airspace. Any advice?

My advice would be to contact the gliderport and let them know of your flights. I live extremely close to a small airport and I received advice from Transport Canada to contact Airport operations to inform them of my flights of where and when I would be flying. They said the airport then knows of you and if you ever have an incident (crash, fire, etc.) you can let them know so your covered.

When flying in close proximity to any "Air Service" you'll want to reach out and make contact with them to establish open communications with them. Ask what they need/want from you and be sure to get everything in writing (Fax or email).

Here is an example of how I operate when I fly close to the local hospital (has a heliport for Air MediVac).
The extra work is worth the level of safety - Commercial Operations

Keep in mind I'm operating commercially so my requirements are fairly strict but to be honest there's no reason why a hobbyist wouldn't want to follow a similar work flow just tweak it to fit the situation.

Reactions: frands1
When flying in close proximity to any "Air Service" you'll want to reach out and make contact with them to establish open communications with them. Ask what they need/want from you and be sure to get everything in writing (Fax or email).

Here is an example of how I operate when I fly close to the local hospital (has a heliport for Air MediVac).
The extra work is worth the level of safety - Commercial Operations

Keep in mind I'm operating commercially so my requirements are fairly strict but to be honest there's no reason why a hobbyist wouldn't want to follow a similar work flow just tweak it to fit the situation.
Read your post and I enjoyed it every bit. Good job man, good guide for everyone. Thanks for sharing.

Read your post and I enjoyed it every bit. Good job man, good guide for everyone. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for the kind words. I like to share and teach when possible. If I can help others get through some of the hoops and over some of the hurdles easier I'm all for sharing.

hello, new flyer here. i live less that one mile from a medivac heliport. On Air map, it shows entire city hatched for what i believe are the 2 hospital heliports. I should call them if i plan to fly or are there strict regulations i need to follow. i live in 50702

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers