heliport with a published instrument flight procedure

Reaction score
I see this on the knowbeforeyoufly site. Been trying to find out what this means. States not to fly within 2 nautical miles of a heliport with a published instrument flight procedure. What is a 'published instrument flight procedure' and how would I tell if the hospital heliport has one? Also, who at the hospital would I contact if I need to let them know I am flying my uav? There is an local airport but I am outside the 5 miles distance from that.

Dave

It is notifying pilots not to fly IFR(instrument flught rules). around the hospital or attempt to land under IFR conditions. Visual flight rules only (VFR). Minimum visibility for VFR flight is required.

Questions:

Why does the OP get a "2 nautical mile" radius and my b4ufly app tells me I need a 5 mile radius from any heliport - even an unattended heliport?

What if the OP's heliport didn't have a "published instrument flight procedure?" It seems to be implied that there is less than a 2 nautical mile radius - perhaps no radius.

Questions:

Why does the OP get a "2 nautical mile" radius and my b4ufly app tells me I need a 5 mile radius from any heliport - even an unattended heliport?

What if the OP's heliport didn't have a "published instrument flight procedure?" It seems to be implied that there is less than a 2 nautical mile radius - perhaps no radius.

Looking at the knowbeforeyoufly website (Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly) states:

"Fly no closer than two nautical miles from a heliport with a published instrument flight procedure."

But the b4ufly app does show 5 miles around the hospital. I was wondering what that phrase meant so I can tell if the b4ufly app may be incorrectly listing the fly zone.

The other part is do I contact the hospital or the local airport tower? Since heliports are "airports".

I guess you're supposed to "notify" a heliport if you're within 5 miles, but you must not fly within 2 nautical miles if the heliport has a "published instrument flight procedure."

I'm pretty sure you are supposed to notify the heliport, not the airport and not the hospital. You should be able to find a phone number.

For example, here is the info on the heliport at the hospital I'm close to, via airnav, including the manager's name and phone number: AirNav: 18MD - Medstar Montgomery Medical Center Heliport

Here is another site, skyvector, that provides the same info including an email: 18MD - Medstar Montgomery Medical Center Heliport | SkyVector

I found these with google.

18MD seems to be the identifier for this heliport.

I see this on the knowbeforeyoufly site. Been trying to find out what this means. States not to fly within 2 nautical miles of a heliport with a published instrument flight procedure. What is a 'published instrument flight procedure' and how would I tell if the hospital heliport has one? Also, who at the hospital would I contact if I need to let them know I am flying my uav? There is an local airport but I am outside the 5 miles distance from that.

Dave
This whole heliport issue is crazy. Even where I live in the midwest I need to get appox 8 miles outside city limits to avoid all the **** heliport circles. And if you look at Florida between airports and heliports its almost impossible to fly or you need to make 4 phone calls to multi no fly circles

Thanks.

The SkyVector link worked. I was able to find the heliport along with the manager's name and number.

Look in the phonebook for Medstar and ask to talk to their heliport manager. In the meantime, you can listen to their automated weather obs here: 301-977-2971

S

I'm hoping the people at FAA will realize this is overkill and come up with a better rule for heliports. I would like to see 2 miles or 1 and a half miles. Otherwise, another plan is to simply make an agreement with the managers of the multiple heliports near us that we'll be flying at any given time in this defined area at this defined height. That would save us and the managers a lot of time needlessly chatting on the phone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj