helicopters when flying, what to do?

Reaction score
Hi all I was recently flying my phantom in a mountainous region,on three separate flights and every time i turn it on a low flying helicopter came from nowhere,each time i immediately ground it and wait, im flying no more than 50 metres up at altitude of around 5-600 metres. However this has happened to me once in an urban location as well, again within safe height limits and at least 150 metres from people/roads.

My question is what do you folks do about helicopters if you see one, I know there is that infamous video of a helicopter trying to ground someone with a phantom before, but on all but one occasion the helicopters seemed unconcerned, on one flight I had helicopter flew very low and seemed to hover on the spot i was flying, i immediately brought quad down as quick as possible....

You are required to avoid manned aircraft. So yes, either land or stay far away. You may want to find another area to fly is there are a lot of helicopters in that area. Keep in mind that they can launch, land and fly from almost anywhere. Perhaps the person lives in the area.

DJI00464.JPG

Yep, They can launch from very unpredictable area and drop some parachutists suddenly. Do not try to film it. Land as quickly as possibly and drive away from that military site. Happened to me in a middle of desert... I was like whaaaat????? Later I found out - there was a military site somewhere near. (it is not on the map of course)

I had a helicopter do a low pass yesterday while I was out grilling. I wasn't flying but if I were I probably would have been right in his path. He couldn't have been more than 300-350 feet high and was moving very fast, came from behind and was nearly on top of me before I knew what was coming. Had I been flying I would have been in that range no doubt and there is no way I could have responded fast enough to get out of his way.

I live in Chicago and fly near or over the Lake (Michigan) often. Helicopters do go back & forth to downtown often. Coast Guard, medical, news, corporate.
It's not constant by any means, but I make it a habit not if I hear one I drop elevation quickly and try to figure where they are coming from- and either land or make sure I'm not anywhere close to in their path.

one big issue can be emergency helicopters, they fly VFR (visual flight rules), so they must stay below the clouds,,on a day with low clouds they have to really fly low or not fly at all,,obviously medical emergencies happen on days with low clouds, so they can be in places you don't expect them

Follow them to the scene of the breaking news story, get the video first and sell it to the news stations before they can get back with it. Use the money to buy a new Inspire.

Reactions: chaghal and snerd
Hi all I was recently flying my phantom in a mountainous region,on three separate flights and every time i turn it on a low flying helicopter came from nowhere,each time i immediately ground it and wait, im flying no more than 50 metres up at altitude of around 5-600 metres. However this has happened to me once in an urban location as well, again within safe height limits and at least 150 metres from people/roads.

My question is what do you folks do about helicopters if you see one, I know there is that infamous video of a helicopter trying to ground someone with a phantom before, but on all but one occasion the helicopters seemed unconcerned, on one flight I had helicopter flew very low and seemed to hover on the spot i was flying, i immediately brought quad down as quick as possible....
land and wait.

all makes sense , was flying in military zone myself last week, i had never been there and was unaware until a helicopter came out of nowhere low, fortuneatly i was only about 20 metres high :)

Most of the previous posts make sense. Sounds like you're doing the right thing.

Sounds like there is either Logging or Sightseeing going on in your area. Time their flights and do your flying when they aren't. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic