heart beatings, fingers shaking

Reaction score
Been trying and dying to get out all day, weathers rubbish its cold, looks like its gonna rain all day but didn't and the wind is getting up and being unpredictable.

Only get to fly my phantom on weekends and a lot of the time i work Saturdays so 1 day a week, so i thought f**k it im gonna chuck it up for 10 mins in the back garden, well i did and ill tell you my heart was pounding, my thumbs were shaking it was a horrible experience lol.

Anyone else get this? Im guessing i need to fly it more and get more confidence, ive only really flown it 4-5 times and never pushed it each flight ive been reasonably cautious with, but i want to fly with confidence and not feel so nervous, i think the nerves were from flying in my back garden when where i live in the uk house are so close together, and there's trees and power lines etc everywhere,

One thing i didnt like was the weak remote signal i got when the pahntom was probably 30ft away from and the same again in height, maybe all the wi-fi that is around it?

P.S the attempt at sunset picture came out really dark could this be from the filter i have on, its a UV filter.

DJI_0007.JPG

DJI_0008.JPG

Last edited:
Do you have the phantom 3 standard as that is wifi and will get interference. I had that too and upgraded to the advanced. Also in UK so know what you mean about the houses close together lol

Neon Euc

Reactions: Dazzauk
Stock filter is also UV. You can try either manual ISO/shutter settings or select darkest part of image for autoexposure. You can also adjust EV to bias the exposure when auto. I often select the lower half center of the screen but that's mainly so I get past screen glare on my tablet.
Don't worry about being nervous and wanting to take it slow. After all, this isn't a $50 drone that can easily survive being tossed around. You were probably just as nervous when you first drove a car. You'll quickly adapt and start trying more things just as you probably do now driving.
Open fields in parks are best to try ones wings though.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've had that experience you described. It's bad enough when you're cold but not nervous, or nervous but not cold... but when you're nervous AND cold, it's a horrible experience. I had that experience when I flew for the first time that wasn't in an open field. In the open field I wasn't so nervous because I knew it wasn't going to hit anything, but when I flew in an area with more obstacles and things to think about, the cold and nerves made my hands shake and I was a wreck! I am SO ready for warmer weather - for the sake of prettier video AND easier handling. I tried some of those capacitive gloves, but they were too thin to protect my hands (though they did work great for touching the screen). I ended up just using my thicker gloves and trying to avoid having to touch the screen.

Regarding the underexposure in the bottom shot, that is normal. You have an extreme contrast in brightness between the sky and ground, and the camera's metering system has to decide which to exposure for. In your case, it metered for the sky (which is why the sky looks good, but the ground doesn't). If it did the opposite, your sky would be completely whited out but the ground would look better. You can touch on the screen where you want it to expose, but in this particular case, there wouldn't be a setting that would expose both properly. The UV filter would not affect exposure, but they do have graduated filters that will darker the top part of the image (the sky) so that you even out the exposure of both the sky and ground.

Been trying and dying to get out all day, weathers rubbish its cold, looks like its gonna rain all day but didn't and the wind is getting up and being unpredictable.

Only get to fly my phantom on weekends and a lot of the time i work Saturdays so 1 day a week, so i thought f**k it im gonna chuck it up for 10 mins in the back garden, well i did and ill tell you my heart was pounding, my thumbs were shaking it was a horrible experience lol.

Anyone else get this? Im guessing i need to fly it more and get more confidence, ive only really flown it 4-5 times and never pushed it each flight ive been reasonably cautious with, but i want to fly with confidence and not feel so nervous, i think the nerves were from flying in my back garden when where i live in the uk house are so close together, and there's trees and power lines etc everywhere,

One thing i didnt like was the weak remote signal i got when the pahntom was probably 30ft away from and the same again in height, maybe all the wi-fi that is around it?

P.S the attempt at sunset picture came out really dark could this be from the filter i have on, its a UV filter.

View attachment 75414

View attachment 75413
I think the sky is fabulous. If the foreground was bright the sky would be washed out like the house photo. Just play with it digital pictures are fee, so to speak.

Thanks guys glad it wasn't just me lol.

Looking at dbs to improve the signal

Also filter wise it wasn't standard lens. I had the neewer uv filter o top of the standard lens. So I'm guessing this was why it was so dark. The sky does look good though.

DJI_0008b-2.jpg
DJI_0008b-3.jpg
If you are going to shoot many stills you might want to get a processing program. I use Lightroom...$150 at Amazon. Will process any RAW file or other photo file. Others may suggest something else. The RAW files (DNG) capture everything so you have a lot of latitude to post-process each attribute of the file.

I took your pic and lightened it to show you the washed out effect. Foreground is still dark, though.

The other pic is processed in Lightroom, not much more than lightening just the shadows. At some point too much foreground takes away from the sky...but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You can get more out of the RAW file than processing a jpeg, so this is only a small sample of how you can improve a pic.

Last edited:
I still get nervous after about a dozen flights. I want to do some shots of the cliffs near where I live but bottle out worrying about the sea below. I know its crazy but I can't help it, I'm sure time will helps us both out - well I hope so.

I admit I still get nervous when I do a 11 min litchi flight. It loses signal after about 30 seconds then got about 10 mins waiting....waiting and waiting... And when you hear it... Ahhh what a feeling. Lol. I put a TK102 tracker on it tho and now track it using the app. Costs about £30 on eBay and you get a year worth of free tracking on it so it works out well... But now and then you have to refresh the page. Scared the **** out of me when the tracking line disappeared and all there was is a green dot stuck in one place.. Over a bloody school of all places lol. Thought that's it.... Gonna be on the news taking out a kid on the first ever drone murder lol. Didn't even know I was flying over a school when I planned the mission But yeah... Refresh the page and it showed me an update

Neon Euc

View attachment 75437 View attachment 75438 If you are going to shoot many stills you might want to get a processing program. I use Lightroom...$150 at Amazon. Will process any RAW file or other photo file. Others may suggest something else. The RAW files (DNG) capture everything so you have a lot of latitude to post-process each attribute of the file.

I took your pic and lightened it to show you the washed out effect. Foreground is still dark, though.

The other pic is processed in Lightroom, not much more than lightening just the shadows. At some point too much foreground takes away from the sky...but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You can get more out of the RAW file than processing a jpeg, so this is only a small sample of how you can improve a pic.

Holy smoke. That's awesome.

I have been looking but so expensive. Easy to use?

Southampton buddy. You?

Ah further south than me then, I'm close to Birmingham.

I tried downloading the MagicPower mod to improve my video range out of my back garden but it doesn't seem to have helped, I've got a windsurfer too now and I always seem to get choppy feedback just a couple hundred meters away. Hopefully trying out my friends P4 on Tuesday to see what the difference is between wifi on the standard and lightbridge is.

I wasn't sure if my standard was faulty, but if you're having similar issues in a residential area maybe it's just a limitation of the standard.

the neewer uv filter o top of the standard lens. So I'm guessing this was why it was so dark.
The UV filter won't do much to cut out the light. The reason it looks dark is because of the contrast between the sky and the ground, as other people have stated.

Holy smoke. That's awesome.

I have been looking but so expensive. Easy to use?
Yes easy. Sliders modify the settings. I had it already to process dslr photos and it is great for that. Maybe there is a less expensive program. An older version of this or Photoshop Elements may be available.

I tried downloading the MagicPower mod to improve my video range out of my back garden but it doesn't seem to have helped, I've got a windsurfer too now and I always seem to get choppy feedback just a couple hundred meters away. Hopefully trying out my friends P4 on Tuesday to see what the difference is between wifi on the standard and lightbridge is.

I wasn't sure if my standard was faulty, but if you're having similar issues in a residential area maybe it's just a limitation of the standard.

have you thought about dbs or similar?

Yes easy. Sliders modify the settings. I had it already to process dslr photos and it is great for that. Maybe there is a less expensive program. An older version of this or Photoshop Elements may be available.

Or i could just send them to you lol, no i deffo need to get something that edit you have done of my picture is nothing short of amazing, tell me how did you change the ground but keep the sky lookinh so great

Or i could just send them to you lol, no i deffo need to get something that edit you have done of my picture is nothing short of amazing, tell me how did you change the ground but keep the sky lookinh so great
You can lighten the shadows to show the dark foreground, change highlights up or down, increase or decrease contrast, amount of color, turn both whites and blacks up or down or if you want to actually change the saturation and hue of each of the primary colors
I just lightened the shadows a lot and mademinute changes to the other things to suit my eye...spent about 2 minutes.

Maybe ebay has an old version? I use Version 5.

You can lighten the shadows to show the dark foreground, change highlights up or down, increase or decrease contrast, amount of color, turn both whites and blacks up or down or if you want to actually change the saturation and hue of each of the primary colors
I just lightened the shadows a lot and mademinute changes to the other things to suit my eye...spent about 2 minutes.

Maybe ebay has an old version? I use Version 5.

Really is amazing, so need to get a version, i have a cheap one called fotor photo editor and i played with it quickly trying to replicate what you did, but it seems that i can get the dark ground to light up somewhat but no where near your standard, tell me can you enhance only certain parts of the photo? My software adjust the entire picture which is not always wanted.

Where abouts, im just south of bham. I can get 1800m flying over sea or into open country with just cheap antenna mod and magic power. However i only get 300m- 700m in town even in parks. Im up to 4000m with a 5ghz amp. Still with full signal!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31