Heard you get only 30-40 flights with stock motors?

Reaction score
I've read a couple places that owners of Phantoms only get about 30-40 flights before the stock motors fail. Is this accurate?

I just bought a Phantom and have flown it about 6 times in the last two days. At this rate, I'll reach 30 in about two weeks. This quote sounds low to me, but I am still new to the hobby so I don't know much.

If this is true, can anyone recommend any aftermarket motors which have a long life?

Also, how can you tell if your motors/bearings are doing okay? I have pushed each prop gently by hand and I can fee it sort of jump from one point to another. However, one in particular jumps harder between points. Is this not right?

Does anyone regularly lube their bearings in these? Are you suppose too?

Thanks,

Jeff

I'm just guessing here but I must have flown my Phantom at least 100 times (and crashed about that many times, too!). One crash was into a river, which required flushing a motor with alcohol to remove very fine grit.

After that experience I drilled a hole beneath each motor in order to be able to access and lube the lower bearings -- and I bought TriFlow oil, pen sized, with a hypodermic-like applicator needle, as this avoids slopping extra oil over the motors.

Drilling the holes and lubing is described here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJixomwlVUs

I lube the motors about once a week. Also, I often touch each motor after landing, to see if any are running hot. So far, no problems at all -- and that slight ratcheting sensation you get when hand turning the prop is normal. But, if one is different, I'd lube it right away and be sure to test it for overheating.

You can bench test motors for odd noises, vibration and overheating by removing all of the props and running the Phantom on a table.

The idea that the motors will routinely wear out after 30-40 flight strikes me as ridiculous.

i have over 150 flights and motors where just inspected by DJI and no problems. Just check your motors in pre-flight if you notice one is harder to spin, or when it lands how hot are they.

GearLoose said:
I'm just guessing here but I must have flown my Phantom at least 100 times (and crashed about that many times, too!). One crash was into a river, which required flushing a motor with alcohol to remove very fine grit.

After that experience I drilled a hole beneath each motor in order to be able to access and lube the lower bearings -- and I bought TriFlow oil, pen sized, with a hypodermic-like applicator needle, as this avoids slopping extra oil over the motors.

Drilling the holes and lubing is described here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJixomwlVUs

I lube the motors about once a week. Also, I often touch each motor after landing, to see if any are running hot. So far, no problems at all -- and that slight ratcheting sensation you get when hand turning the prop is normal. But, if one is different, I'd lube it right away and be sure to test it for overheating.

You can bench test motors for odd noises, vibration and overheating by removing all of the props and running the Phantom on a table.

The idea that the motors will routinely wear out after 30-40 flight strikes me as ridiculous.

100 flights! Great to hear, and inspiring. Thanks for the tips and YouTube link. I checked it out. Looks like something I'll need to do for maintenance from time to time. It's too bad DJI does not have a "required maintenance" tutorial on how to keep your Phantom running in tip top shape. Only maintenance I saw they recommend was re calibrating the IMU once and a while.

I'll be following this religiously.

Thanks!

Jeff

I'm sure that DJI will publish a very detailed "how to" manual for maintenance and other issues.... once we early adopters figure out how to do these things by trial & error and publish the results on forums such as this one. Having previously worked as a "how to" writer and editor, I'm boggled by the lack of clear, simple instructions in the RC world. The good news is that there are a lot of very helpful people on the forums willing to share their hard-earned knowledge. Otherwise, I'd have given up on this after my first couple of dozen crashes :)

I'm probably approaching 500 flights without a problem.

I did have the bearings replaced after about 100 flights, but only as a preventive measure while other work was being done.

I think the bearings are the only thing you have to worry about as far as the motor maintenance, keep them lubed,
or replace them when bad. Replace the thrust washers, and E-clips at that time too.

I am around 142 flights, 6 minutes average flight time (calculated from videos taken with gopro), around flight 105 1 motor was with a soft "clanc-clac" when manual turn inspection (always do before flight). So i replaced bearings and not issues till today. ;)

jumanoc said:
I am around 142 flights, 6 minutes average flight time (calculated from videos taken with gopro), around flight 105 1 motor was with a soft "clanc-clac" when manual turn inspection (always do before flight). So i replaced bearings and not issues till today. ;)

I went 89 flights until I replaced my stock motors. T-Motors 2214 are the way to go. If you were to ask me.

I bought and received 20 days ago, Antigravity white T-motors, but still boxed because my stock motors are working great with 153 flights ;)

The phantom motors are good quality and should easily give over 100 flights without maintenance. You can kill a motor with kindness so to speak, only use very light oil with a needle type applicator and dont over oil. There is a product called Microlon, which is a liquid metal treatment that gets into the pores of the metal and reduces friction, which I will be trying on my motors, with a before and after test to see if there is any measurable improvement. I often fly from the ground and notice that a large dustcloud can erupt around the phantom on takeoff and landing. Some of that grit is getting into the motor bearings, so a flush and relube is a good idea periodically. There is a phone app that measures motor rpm. This could be used to test motor max rpm, and if the motors are becoming slower or uneven, its time to upgrade. There is a drop in replacement motor that is a lot more powerful that you can get from foxtechfpv in china. I may try some and see if it gives better flight characteristics.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20