HeadPlay HD Goggles, Dominator HD's cables and the P3 HDMI Board, Oh My !

Reaction score
Guys and Gals,

There is still lot's of discussion regarding which goggles will work with the P3 HDMI board, what cables are needed, etc.

Here's some additional information that I have personally verified (first hand) regarding some "HD" goggles that are and are not supported by the new P3 HDMI board.

P3 HDMI output form factor: The P3 HDMI board has a mini HDMI output, also known as a Type C.

HeadPlay HD goggles: These work perfectly. The HP's have a mini HDMI input.

FatShark Dominator HD's: These work perfectly. The Dom HD's have a micro HDMI input, also known as a Type D.

FatShark Dominator V2's: These do not work in their native configuration !! Perhaps an HDMI to VGA down converter will work, but out of the box the Dom V2's are not supported.

Zeiss Cinemizer OLED: These work perfectly. The Zeiss have their own cable from the goggles to a small control pad. The control pad has a mini HDMI output.

Bottom line: To quote Blade Strike (DJI test and support) from RCG, "Whatever works on the inspire will work on the p3."

Cables: For the HeadPlays I'll use this:

https://www.computercablestore.com/...ini-hdmi-c-to-mini-hdmi-c-cable-with-ethernet

I have not been able to locate a Type C to Type D HDMI cable. If you are using goggles that have a Type D input I recommend that you buy a Micro to Micro cable and get a Type D to Type C adapter for the controller end.

I also continued my subjective testing between the Cinemizers and the HeadPlays. There is no doubt that the HP's have a decided dork / geek look. However, mine do not feel bulky or heavy when I am wearing them. The visual image when using the 16:9 aspect ratio is just fantastic. Initially, I felt that the HP's were not immersive enough. I now feel that the wider FOV is actually better for my style of FPV flying (cursing rather than racing).

Hope this helps.

:harry

Good info, thanks! I'm on the fence........................... between the HeadPlays and the Cinemizers. Gawd those HP's look dorky! But like you, I've heard the display is really nice. Decisions decisions....................

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Good info, thanks! I'm on the fence........................... between the HeadPlays and the Cinemizers. Gawd those HP's look dorky! But like you, I've heard the display is really nice. Decisions decisions....................

The HP's also have an embedded 32 channel 5.8gHz VRx which is a nice added bonus.

If I get a second set of HD goggles I think I'll get a set of Dominator HD's (current version). You can find them new for about $550. They have a slightly larger FOV than the Cinemizers.

I was able to see a set of the Head Play goggles a few days ago. They were huge but amazingly they were very lightweight. I just can't see myself sitting anywhere in the general public area wearing those things. You'd look like a major dork! lol

Reactions: WetDog
Yes...you'll look like a dork...

I just hang around other grown men with antennas on their head and weird goggles on their faces who say..."wow that looks cool..." ;)

:h

I was able to see a set of the Head Play goggles a few days ago. They were huge but amazingly they were very lightweight. I just can't see myself sitting anywhere in the general public area wearing those things. You'd look like a major dork! lol
In fact, the HD's might be an improvement, have you looked in a mirror lately :) I know I have :(

Reactions: Phantomic
dedstik:
not sure what the type D connector is, but if it's a micro HDMI, check out B&H's selection. Look on
the left hand margin for the box that describes the many HDMI options. This is the best selection I've found. B&H's shipping is reasonable too.... free if > $49 and actually very reasonable if you only want one cable (ie < $49)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...=4288594203+3900391072&origSearch=HDMI Cables

In the YouTube videos for the HeadPlay HD goggles they are adding a little fat shark antenna to the top. Does anybody know if it comes with the goggles? Do you need it and how to get it?

In the YouTube videos for the HeadPlay HD goggles they are adding a little fat shark antenna to the top. Does anybody know if it comes with the goggles? Do you need it and how to get it?

My HP's did not come with a 5.8 gHz antenna. The antenna is only necessary if you are going to be receiving video from a separate 5.8gHz transmitter. You may want this option if you have additional FPV equipped aircraft. You may also find it interesting to look at the video feeds of other FPV flyers at the field. The HP's require an antenna with an SMA connector. There are many available. Here's a set (these are often sold in sets - 1 Tx / 1 Rx) from a trusted vendor:

http://www.multirotorsuperstore.com...ghz-cloverleaf-skew-planar-wheel-antenna.html

If you are only going to use the HP's with your P3 then the antenna is not needed; though as I mentioned you might want to see what some other FPV looks like.

I had both the Dom HDS and the moverio bt200s. I used the bt200s on my long lost to the ocean PV2+ and I must say the quality of the image was far superior to the HDs. If you used the darkest sun shade attachment then they worked perfect in bright sunny days. The down side was that you couldn't use them with any custom built quads that used an RX and TX for fpv. I bought the dom hds to use with my blackout spider hex and the only benefit to those goggles was the immersed feeling you get and the ability to use your own receiver. I didn't like that you couldn't get the diopters just right for image quality,there was always a fuzzy distorted edge around the outside of the FOV that everyone complained about and there was no remedy. If I had to go again I would consider the bt200s. Im also looking at these new soon to be released NEBULA FPV glasses? I think thats what they are called. There going for 400.00

While no goggle is going to be fashionable soon, the functionality is key.

If the sun is affecting your ability to see your display, goggles can be the difference between flying with a smile or heart pounding panic.

My HP's did not come with a 5.8 gHz antenna. The antenna is only necessary if you are going to be receiving video from a separate 5.8gHz transmitter. You may want this option if you have additional FPV equipped aircraft. You may also find it interesting to look at the video feeds of other FPV flyers at the field. The HP's require an antenna with an SMA connector. There are many available. Here's a set (these are often sold in sets - 1 Tx / 1 Rx) from a trusted vendor:

http://www.multirotorsuperstore.com...ghz-cloverleaf-skew-planar-wheel-antenna.html

If you are only going to use the HP's with your P3 then the antenna is not needed; though as I mentioned you might want to see what some other FPV looks like.

Good info. Will I then see what my tablet sees on this Headplay FPV?

I had both the Dom HDS and the moverio bt200s. I used the bt200s on my long lost to the ocean PV2+ and I must say the quality of the image was far superior to the HDs. If you used the darkest sun shade attachment then they worked perfect in bright sunny days. The down side was that you couldn't use them with any custom built quads that used an RX and TX for fpv. I bought the dom hds to use with my blackout spider hex and the only benefit to those goggles was the immersed feeling you get and the ability to use your own receiver. I didn't like that you couldn't get the diopters just right for image quality,there was always a fuzzy distorted edge around the outside of the FOV that everyone complained about and there was no remedy. If I had to go again I would consider the bt200s. Im also looking at these new soon to be released NEBULA FPV glasses? I think thats what they are called. There going for 400.00
Hold on my friend, i think the epson goggles dont feature any HDMI ports? How you can use it with the Phantom3? I found an expansive mod for it but you have to buy a massive HDMI box to use it with the phantom3. If that is true that goggle is not really suited for Phantom3 or inspire. I would rather buy a Zeiss or HP for direct latency free HDMI.

I used the bt200s on a P2V+ as I posted before. The P2V+ used wifi for the connection. I understand that they won't work with the P3 without some aggravation. Thats why Im considering the 32 fov nebula glasses that are to be released soon, otherwise I would get the bt200s again.

I used the bt200s on a P2V+ as I posted before. The P2V+ used wifi for the connection. I understand that they won't work with the P3 without some aggravation. Thats why Im considering the 32 fov nebula glasses that are to be released soon, otherwise I would get the bt200s again.
I dont know the Nebula goggles, never saw them. For the P3 and Inspire i wouldnt buy the Bt200s. I think the Headplay are pretty good for the P3 and Inspire and cheap. Maybe the zeiss ones are also very good but premium price

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik