Heading to Florida....

Reaction score
Heading down to Florida for a few days next week, hoping for some good weather!

Plan on taking my Phantom 4 with me, anything i should be aware of besides the normal stuff?

Will be spending some time in Winter haven, and probably Orlando on the 4th, maybe Clearwater....

Any Florida guys in here that can let me know anything that's not obvious about flying down there?

I have AirMap and B4UFly apps on my phone, so will check all FAA restrictions.

I saw something about drone laws in Orlando recently, do i really need a permit as a hobbyist?

Thanks in advance for any advice and tips! Happy Flying to all!

In theory, the registration requirement from the FAA has been thrown out of court. But I don't honestly know if things have filtered down adequately that everyone who needs to know really does know! I guess better safe than sorry.

It might be obvious and then again it might not - it's late June and it's "that time" of year in central Florida. It's likely to rain virtually *any* afternoon. It might not rain all afternoon but there are typically increased chances of rain as the day wears on. The rain this time of year in Florida doesn't come from a cold front passing through. The air gets unstable with air moving across the peninsula from the Atlantic Ocean and colliding with air moving the other way from the Gulf of Mexico - all aided by the heat buildup in the sky.

And it's hot. I mean it's hot. It's nothing like the heat in Arizona. It's *not* a dry heat. It's that nasty, humid BS that makes your sweat glands do double duty. Fly in the morning if you can. The afternoons are brutal - 90 degrees with a heat index several degrees higher than that, not very much wind (except on the edge of a storm), etc.

Your mobile device/tablet will probably be hotter than you've ever seen!

That said, when you find an open area, there's a high degree of probability it'll be flat. The highest spot in Florida (up in the panhandle) is only 345' MSL. You ain't gonna crash into a mountain!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Reactions: Suhail78
In theory, the registration requirement from the FAA has been thrown out of court. But I don't honestly know if things have filtered down adequately that everyone who needs to know really does know! I guess better safe than sorry.

It might be obvious and then again it might not - it's late June and it's "that time" of year in central Florida. It's likely to rain virtually *any* afternoon. It might not rain all afternoon but there are typically increased chances of rain as the day wears on. The rain this time of year in Florida doesn't come from a cold front passing through. The air gets unstable with air moving across the peninsula from the Atlantic Ocean and colliding with air moving the other way from the Gulf of Mexico - all aided by the heat buildup in the sky.

And it's hot. I mean it's hot. It's nothing like the heat in Arizona. It's *not* a dry heat. It's that nasty, humid BS that makes your sweat glands do double duty. Fly in the morning if you can. The afternoons are brutal - 90 degrees with a heat index several degrees higher than that, not very much wind (except on the edge of a storm), etc.

That said, when you find an open area, there's a high degree of probability it'll be flat. The highest spot in Florida (up in the panhandle) is only 345' MSL. You ain't gonna crash into a mountain!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

hahahaha Thanks Art, Im coming from Central Ohio, and its pretty flat and hot here in June/July....Gets pretty humid too, but i'm sure it doesn't compare to Florida.

Yeah, will definitely do my flying in the morning weather permitting! My bird is registered, got it last summer when that was the requirement, so i'm good to go from that perspective.

Just wasn't sure about any local laws or ordinances down in that part of the country....i did hear some stuff about Orlando, so not sure if i'll risk it up that way, but in other parts i'm gonna try to get some air time if the weather cooperates.

Thanks for your response buddy.

Hate to say this, but I am in central Florida and we are expecting 70% chance for rain every day til next Tuesday.... Lord knows we need it after the drought we have been having, but this 11am rain til 9pm is getting OLD!!!!!!

Good luck, I have been trying to get good footage of a sunrise on the beach, and all I get is a bunch of clouds over the horizon at sunrise.. Fingers crossed for a week or two..

Hate to say this, but I am in central Florida and we are expecting 70% chance for rain every day til next Tuesday.... Lord knows we need it after the drought we have been having, but this 11am rain til 9pm is getting OLD!!!!!!

Good luck, I have been trying to get good footage of a sunrise on the beach, and all I get is a bunch of clouds over the horizon at sunrise.. Fingers crossed for a week or two..

Aww man, well fingers crossed here as well that we at least get a small window of good weather to get up in the air!

hahahaha Thanks Art, Im coming from Central Ohio, and its pretty flat and hot here in June/July....Gets pretty humid too, but i'm sure it doesn't compare to Florida.

Yeah, will definitely do my flying in the morning weather permitting! My bird is registered, got it last summer when that was the requirement, so i'm good to go from that perspective.

Just wasn't sure about any local laws or ordinances down in that part of the country....i did hear some stuff about Orlando, so not sure if i'll risk it up that way, but in other parts i'm gonna try to get some air time if the weather cooperates.

Thanks for your response buddy.
Take filters because the sun and water is bright. One thing that will surprise you is the temperature doesn't get below 72 deg. In the summer. Step outside in the morning and the heat and humidity hits you in the face. Lightning can travel 5 miles and does like drones. Take some deet. Knowing Spanish is helpful, Don't act like a tourist and look over your shoulder a lot. Yes, this is advice to help you fly your quad better and more safely.

Take filters because the sun and water is bright. One thing that will surprise you is the temperature doesn't get below 72 deg. In the summer. Step outside in the morning and the heat and humidity hits you in the face. Lightning can travel 5 miles and does like drones. Take some deet. Knowing Spanish is helpful, Don't act like a tourist and look over your shoulder a lot. Yes, this is advice to help you fly your quad better and more safely.

Yup, got some filters in my kit, so ready for that!! What is deet?

The best chemical in repellent to keep the mosquitoes off. At mosquitoe lagoon, you can breathe mosquitoes they are so thick. Nothing better than 100% Deet.

Just be sure to remove anything that is plastic (such as sun glasses) if spraying. It will _easily_ melt plastic at that concentration.

Nobody commented on the Orlando question? Is a permit required for a hobbyist to fly there? Or is it better to just avoid the situation all together?

Sorry, I truly missed the part about Orlando (and I see he also said something about Clearwater),

If he's going to try to fly in Orlando on the 4th, he'll run into problems. There's a very large, international airport on the south side of the metro area. Not too far north of that is a very large, very active General Aviation airport (Orlando Executive). Not very far to the south is another very active general aviation airport (Kissimmee - KSSM on aeronautical charts) and you cannot fly over Disney or virtually any other major attraction in Orlando - like Universal, for example.

With all the prep going on for fireworks (you can't fly over people) you'll have a mass of territory that will be in a temporary no-fly zone until the following day. Obviously, that applies to just about every decent-sized city in Florida, not just the Orlando area.

As for Orlando itself, other than the airports, I'm not aware of any no-flying areas except those listed in the FAA recommendations - line-of-sight, 400 feet and under, no flying over people or critical infrastructure, etc., etc., etc. I *am* aware of two major "hobby clubs" in the Orlando area. Unfortunately, while they have great flying fields, they allow guests only if accompanied by members and they both despise quadcopters - picky bums!

Now if you want some interesting entertainment, drive south on 429 between Apopka and Disney and keep an eye off to the right after you cross the Florida Turnpike. There's a big R/C club there and they often sly some *huge* models - like 1/2 scale cubs, 1/3 scale P-51, etc. Make you feel like you've stepped into Professor Peabody's Way Back machine and gone back to WW2!

I think we adequately pointed out that it's hot, humid (sticky humid) and it's been raining just about every afternoon since the 1st of May.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL (abt 40 miles NW of Orlando)

Fly as a hobbiest where u want.. notify ATC if within 5 miles of the airport and follow the standard rules of the road (or sky in this case)..... same as anywhere else.. don't know of any "city" ordinances restricting flying in Orlando.. again, as long as ur hobbiest/recreational.. use judgement when around people as it's a tourist town.. be safe, enjoy your time here in the RAINNY STATE!! LOL

Thanks guys! Yup, all rules and regulations are well understood and always abide by, but just heard some stuff about city of Orlando requesting permits to fly there, so just wanted to be sure. Definitely don't plan on flying there on the 4th, but just wanted to make sure i knew everything i needed to know, since it would be an area I've never flown in.

Well no one else had said it ( I don't think) but Disney is Permanent NFZ 4/3634 NOTAM Details

Other than that, Orlando proper does have their own UAW rules however that only applies to Orlando. Technically you can take off and land right outside city limits and fly with impunity over Orlando airspace (Litchi) there are tons of way better places to fly. As others have said, I get's hot and humid early here. In the summer I am done with my outdoor activities by 8:30 AM and will resume after 4:00. If you wish to spend more time in he sun, cover up. Long sleeve t shirts boonie hats etc.

Orlando rule
Orlando Passes New Law Regulating Drones - UAV Coach

Also, are you guys aware of this, and is there any impact?

Latest Florida drone law

"...local governments can enact or enforce local laws relating to nuisances, voyeurism, harassment, reckless endangerment, property damage, and other illegal acts involving drones."

I'm not an attorney, but...
On the one hand, the new law looks somewhat "vanilla." On the other hand, the "nuisances" clause should give one pause. Some of those "violations" are highly subjective. One neighbor may find nothing offensive about a propeller whine from a quad. Another neighbor may feel 180-degrees differently. In many instances, in a civil case, you end up in court with expenses even if you're not really violating a law.

On a side note, I see drone-powered delivery not until at least the advent of driverless cars. If you see a car out of control, you might have a chance to dodge it. If a drone drops out of the sky you may not even see it until it's too late!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Well, got back from Florida, and boy oh boy you weren't kidding, it sure was hot!!

Got a few good flights in, and got some nice footage, thanks for all the information, it was very helpful!!

Well, got back from Florida, and boy oh boy you weren't kidding, it sure was hot!!

Got a few good flights in, and got some nice footage, thanks for all the information, it was very helpful!!
Glad you had a good time. It's not just heat, it's the humidity also. Did you get bugs all over your quad?
When I lived there, I worked out in the sun and it was just every day stuff. I couldn't stand to have the air conditioner on in the car. It seemed too cold. Just the windows down was enough. I sure do miss I- 4. Lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4