Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Head Tracking - Set-Up with H3-3d Gimbal - Tilt function lim

Discussion in 'Zenmuse H3-3D/H4-3D GoPro Gimbal' started by AnthonyV, Jun 21, 2014.

1. AnthonyV

Hey guys my current set-up is as follows:
    DJI 550 with Naza M V1 but upgraded to V2 firmware
    DJI H3-3D with external GCU and PMU
    DX8 with FatShark Attitude goggles

I have the DJI h3-3d working properly and also have the head-tracking set-up and working with my dx8. However, I can only get the head tracking to work with TILT which is ran to X1 on the Naza M controller (going to AUX3 on ar8000 - knob on radio).

I have tried both F1 (Roll) and F2 (pitch) going from NAZA-M to AUX1 on the ar8000 in order to move the camera LEFT/RIGHT with head-tracking but it will not work. I have set-up the Trainer so that both AUX3 and AUX1 are slaves. Aux3 TILT is working perfect.

When I connect to the H3-3d DJI Gimbal Assistant 1.1 it will only show me Tilt. Is the h3-3d limited to only head-tracking with tilt? Or am I doing something incorrectly?

2. OI Photography

Re: Head Tracking - Set-Up with H3-3d Gimbal - Tilt function

As far as I know it's not possible to directly control the yaw axis on the H3-3D. I admit I've never tried to set up head-tracking with it, but I don't know of any other setup that will let you control the gimbal on that axis.

3. The Editor

The H3-3D is permanently fixed in follow mode with a deadband around centre of approx +/- 5 degrees on the yaw axis.

This can not be altered or controlled. What you want to do can not be achieved with a H3-3D.

You could try one of these based on the Alexmos GCU with 3rd axis extension. That will do what you are after (assuming you wire it correctly).

See here -> http://www.hobby-wing.com/arris-cm3000-gopro-hero3-brushless-motor-gimbal.html

4. OI Photography

+1

If you need a 3-axis gimbal and the H3-3D doesn't fit the bill for you, I'd say the next best option is the CM3000...I was very pleased with their 2-axis version I own (CM2000) and came very close to getting the 3000 as well. I settled on getting the H3-3D just for its lighter weight and simplicity of connections, but the CM3000 is a great gimbal and it's been around long enough that it's in (I think) the 3rd-generation of revisions by now.

5. The Editor

Yup - I have one sitting here on my desk next to me!

Excellent gimbal and VERY configurable. Way more so than the H3-3D.

They actually have the 'Pro' version available now (based on the same Alexmos architecture) which allows full 360 degree yaw with AV feed through slip rings.