head tracking camera mount for phantom

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to RC flying and just bought a phantom about 3 months ago.

I would like to get into FPV and use the head tracking ability that Fatshark goggles come with.

I seem to be running into a problem finding a suitable camera mount that is compatible with gopro and fatshark and of course the phantom.

Does anyone know of a good pan/tilt mount that holds a hero3 and is easy to setup on the phantom?

I guess I'm just a little confused on what the difference is between a gimbal mount and a pan/tilt. Can a gimbal mount be used with head tracking?

I found this mount which is suppose to be designed for the phantom and has two servos. Would this work?

http://phantomguide.com/wp-content/uplo ... void0.jpeg

gimbals are essentially the general name given to all the devices that tilt/pan/roll camera's.
there are a number available for the Phantom. both in Servo and Brushless motor form.

But here's the thing.. at the moment there's only 2-axis gimbals available - they to tilt and roll, not tilt and pan
and most people get them for stabilizing their camera (or manually being able to tilt the camera down in flight).

I have head tracking in my Fatsharks and thought about connecting it all up to my gimbal, didn't have much luck, it was too convoluted and difficult setting it up.
and have given up on the thought of doing so, as it's really just a novelty idea at best.

yes, that gimbal would theoretically work with a headtracker
you'd have to get another Transmitter as well tho (that can accept the signal from your fancier Tx)

my advice would be to give up on the notion and put your money towards a brushless gimbal, a new Transmitter (like a Futaba), and then just play around with head tracking if you have the spare time.

Gizmo3000 said:
gimbals are essentially the general name given to all the devices that tilt/pan/roll camera's.
there are a number available for the Phantom. both in Servo and Brushless motor form.

But here's the thing.. at the moment there's only 2-axis gimbals available - they to tilt and roll, not tilt and pan
and most people get them for stabilizing their camera (or manually being able to tilt the camera down in flight).

I have head tracking in my Fatsharks and thought about connecting it all up to my gimbal, didn't have much luck, it was too convoluted and difficult setting it up.
and have given up on the thought of doing so, as it's really just a novelty idea at best.

yes, that gimbal would theoretically work with a headtracker
you'd have to get another Transmitter as well tho (that can accept the signal from your fancier Tx)

my advice would be to give up on the notion and put your money towards a brushless gimbal, a new Transmitter (like a Futaba), and then just play around with head tracking if you have the spare time.

Thanks for the reply and information. It's too bad head tracking is so hard to set up. Because it sure looks pretty trick! What transmitter would you recommend? A certain model Futaba?

My main concern is ease of setup. Wires from servos, transmitters, receivers, batteries etc can overwelm me. Do you know of any tutorial guide for the process?

Also, check out this video on Youtube if you can. Shows a guy with a phantom and using head tracking. The guy has not responded to me but was the one that gave me inspiration that it is possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7CgOPlXmQw

jgerlitz said:
Thanks for the reply and information. It's too bad head tracking is so hard to set up. Because it sure looks pretty trick! What transmitter would you recommend? A certain model Futaba?

My main concern is ease of setup. Wires from servos, transmitters, receivers, batteries etc can overwelm me. Do you know of any tutorial guide for the process?

Also, check out this video on Youtube if you can. Shows a guy with a phantom and using head tracking. The guy has not responded to me but was the one that gave me inspiration that it is possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7CgOPlXmQw

Fatshark documentation is a bit fuzzy on models that work with headtracking. "high end Futaba's" and the Turnigy 9x are the only ones mentioned in the manual, but I went online and apparently many more are compatible.
I don't know anything about the Turnigy transmittesr, but Futaba's are popular, either the T8 or the 8FG are your only options, as they have 8 channels needed. and can run "Trainer" mode.

there is very little documentation or tutorials available, most info has to be searched on users forums (Fatshark has it's own user forum to ask questions).

the next problem is that pan/tilt on the Fatsharks uses channel 5 for pan, and others for tilt, whereas 5 is used used for Tilt in the NAZA.

Neat video on youtube,. tho obviously that's just a demo of what's possible, that's a totally different type of goggle (tho on a turnigy), connected to a pan/tilt FVP camera. Nothing like that really exists for the GoPro.

and then ideally if you got a gimbal, you'd want to be able have it both stabilize the camera for video as well.

I basically gave up on the whole notion.
perhaps if i had a RC car it would be more fun to explore.
- or on a huge copter where one person flies, and another controls the camera on a 3-axis gimbal with it's own dedicated radio.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic