He "Almost killed someone with a drone"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is so ridiculous. It's his own fault he panicked and chose to shut down the motors.

You can cut the engines on a 747 and make them crash - maybe we should make them illegal too.

this is why we should have a registration process and some sort of certification or license that shows your capable of understanding all of the things that can go wrong while flying.

The author of the article is several kinds of stupid.
He's saying .. I was an idiot, I had no idea what I was doing and flew stupid so the government should regulate everyone.
If he feels this way about phantoms, how does he deal with living in a country with 300 million guns.

eckoner said:
this is why we should have a registration process and some sort of certification or license that shows your capable of understanding all of the things that can go wrong while flying.
Yes .. just like there are no problems on the road because we have a registration process and some sort of certification or license. I can see how that would prevent problems.

darwin-t said:
And now he thinks they should be illegal because they are dangerous?
I think that's an unfair characterization of what he's saying in the article, did you read past the headline?

I am the last person in the world who wants to stand in the way of innovation and people’s free access to amazing technology. I don’t think we need restrictive age requirements or a driver’s license for all drones, but I know firsthand, flying drones over the last year, that it's a complete Wild West out there. I have seen multiple people fly units hundreds of feet above crowded city streets, bordering on the distance where it was out of their line of sight. I’ve said to myself on more than one occasion, "Why isn’t this illegal?"

At some point, there will be a bad accident, as these things become more popular, more powerful, and ever cheaper. If that happens before effective laws are in place, there would be a media frenzy, perhaps followed by bad, knee-jerk legislation. There was some good news last week, when the head of the FAA said he hopes the new rules will be released before the end of this year. The FAA needs to act now, and if they don’t, Congress needs to force their hand or step in and craft new laws. I’m in love with the booming industry for consumer drone technology, which is why I’m so passionate about protecting it from itself.

Red lights in the rear? That is not lack of GPS, that is battery low. My no GPS lock is yellow.

Lack of GPS? Lack of knowledge more like. Most of my friends have barely flown a toy helicopter and could probably fly better then this guy.

I read that article and was about to post it here. I think the author is nothing more than a troll, who's set out to give the hobby a bad image. He seemed to know an awful lot about regulations, but nothing about flying. I don't believe the first part of his article, for a minute. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31