HDMI vs FPVLR issue

Reaction score
Hi, was wondering if there are some technically minded fliers out there that could comment on this unusual problem.

I've had a P4 for about 7 months with zero issues, firmware up to date, no crashes etc. 3 months ago I had a set of FPVLR 2.4GHz unboosted antennas fitted by an authorised supplier to help with flying in the forest where I live. They doubled the range and more importantly provided much better penetration through the trees.

Next evolutionary step was to get a set of FPV goggles to really enjoy the local scenery. I purchased a set of Spexman SPX02 goggles, HDMI module from one of the more reputable drone suppliers in Australia and figured it would be fairly straight forward. Installed the new module as per msinger's tutorials, updated the firmware to 1.8.0 as prompted and successfully got no output to the goggles or any other device that I found a spare port (TV, computer). I removed the HDMI module and reinstalled to make sure the three ribbon cables were secure, no change, I rolled back the firmware to 1.6.0 and then back up again, no change.

I then spoke with the drone supplier and we were unable to rectify the problem over the phone, sent the remote and goggles back to them for assessment. They have since rung me suggesting that the antenna mod is interfering with the HDMI output and that they can't get it to work.

Is this possible?

As they try and figure out what is going on, they are sending me a spare standard controller set up for using the goggles until they speak with DJI to resolve the problem, so they are supporting their customers and definitely no issues with their service.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated and apologies for such a long winded story.

Not sure how your antenna cables are laid out and what's the quality of hdmi cable. Once you use a good shielded hdmi cable, half of your problems should get resolved. Next, keep a separation between antenna cables and hdmi cable to reduce coupling between them. That should definitely help.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: snabie
Not sure how your antenna cables are laid out and what's the quality of hdmi cable. Once you use a good shielded hdmi cable, half of your problems should get resolved. Next, keep a separation between antenna cables and hdmi cable to reduce coupling between them. That should definitely help.

Thanks for the reply, I had the antenna install carried out by an authorised DJI retailer who is well known for good work over my way so I have to assume it was done properly. They certainly work just fine. As for the HDMI cable, it was supplied by the other company that supplied the goggles package, but I had not thought about the quality regarding shielding. Very good point. I will be speaking with them today and will mention it.Thank you.

I notice OP didn't mention he enabled dual output in GO app but he did certainly ..

Yes I did, everything was enabled but no HDMI output. The update is the tech guys cannot figure out the issue and are assuming that there is a coupling issue with the antenna and the HDMI output which doesn't make sense as the antenna is not connected during the testing. Definitely no issue with the install as I tried with a P3 controller and all works fine. Bit of head scratching at the moment.

Have you tried another HDMI board. If not you might want check the solder close to HDMI connector. That one can have stress dues to plastic cover.

bd71911ef4133e24716b63e2ce53ac6d.jpg

Have you tried another HDMI board. If not you might want check the solder close to HDMI connector. That one can have stress dues to plastic cover.

bd71911ef4133e24716b63e2ce53ac6d.jpg

Cheers, I have changed out the board for another and had the same outcome. The fpv goggles work fine on another P3 controller but not on the modified P4 with the antenna mod. Leaning towards either a substandard HDMI cable or an issue with the FPVLR antenna mod. The antenna works very well but not with the HDMI board. I have full control of the drone and vision with the iPhone 6+ but no other output.

I would definitively try with quality HDMI cable and if possible no adaptor. Some cheap cable might not have foil or wire shielding resulting to the ground not connected.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31