HDMI splitting

Reaction score
Hi, I've a lightbridge based solution for fpv but my question is not very unique to lightbridge owners. Is there a way that you guys know of that can split hdmi? I've seen solutions online and they need a wall outlet.

Re: HDMI splitting

zenador78 said:
The ones that need power are active splitters. I have one for gaming that supports HDCP. What you're looking for is a passive splitter like this - http://www.amazon.com/Corporation-Passi ... B0084ZY7FM

Active splitters only have a wall-wart for 5v or 12v, you could probably power one off a small LiPo if needed.

Could you explain the difference between a passive and an active hdmi splitter?

Sure can.

A passive splitter just takes all the contacts on the HDMI input and creates two or more outputs. This would be the same as taking a LiPo , soldering two connectors to the leads, and powering 2 devices.

An active splitter has internal circuitry between all the ports. This circuit could have signal filters/isolators to reduce "noise," could have HDCP components to allow an HDCP-enabled device (Playsataion 3) to work with non-HDCP devices (my Elgato game capture device.)

I don't have a LB solution, but I did a quick search on it. While I didn't find difinitive info, LB users are complaining that the HDMI signal doesn't work on some devices - devices that don't support HDCP. If the LB is in fact using HDCP, you will need an active splitter. This is the one I have -> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9 ... UTF8&psc=1

This will split all video/audio, the splitter will negotiate HDCP with the source device, and send non-HDCP signals to the output devices. I don't remember if it's 5v or 12v (I'm at work) but you could likely power it from a small 2S or 3S lipo accordingly.

Cheers,

Zen

Reactions: Hounddog

I would disagree with using a passive HDMI splitter and Zen is giving you a bit of false info as well.

The issue with passive HDMI splitters is that they cannot correctly pass the EDID signal - which is basically the information that the display needs to send back to the source (Lightbridge or whatever) to tell it what type of signal to output. Passive splitters can work if you have 2 identical displays attached, but anything else can give issues and even cause damage, as you are shorting the EDID pins together, so the data can and will clash. A bit like connecting 2 amps to one speaker... It might work, but then again...

What you could use is an active splitter that pulls power through the HDMI connections. These do exist, but again, are not recommended as the specification for HDMI does not allow for powering external devices in this way - even though there is power available.

The other option is to use a lipo battery to power the splitter. Find one that runs off 9V and use a similar voltage lipo.

FYI, there are no splitters that remove HDCP. It is not as simple as removing it, as it is a constant key that is required to unlock the signal. You can capture games from a PS3, as they are not HDCP encoded, but if you tried to capture a movie, this would not work. You can get HDFury and other products that decode the signal and output a clean video output, but this is generally analogue video rather than digital. There are also no isolators. The HDMI specification outlines the connection type and the use of common mode rejection circuit topology makes isolation unnecessary. Active splitters simply re-shape the leading and trailing edges of the signal, restore the voltage and most importantly, sort out the EDID pool by taking this information from both displays and finding a common resolution that both will work at. An example would be connecting a 720p (only) and a 1080p display at the same time. The output from the device would be 720p as this is the lowest common signal that can be accepted.

noiseboy72 said:
I would disagree with using a passive HDMI splitter and Zen is giving you a bit of false info as well.

The issue with passive HDMI splitters is that they cannot corr.........There are also no isolators. The HDMI specification outlines the connection type a lowest common signal that can be accepted.

Thanks so much noiseboy, I'm gonna get an active splitter power it off from usb and have the split done one to cinemizer and the other to a monitor. I just wish there was a decent looking monitor.

Here's another one for you guys. I have two Fatshark Dominator V3 googles and would like to split the signal from my Phantom 4 HDMI output module. Is this doable? If so, could I get away with a passive (no power) splitter.

I'm thinking you could have HDMI output #1 on module and #2 output on a tablet with HDMI output for other Fatshark. I'm not familiar with with passive HDMI splitters.

I'm thinking you could have HDMI output #1 on module and #2 output on a tablet with HDMI output for other Fatshark. I'm not familiar with with passive HDMI splitters.
Thanks for the idea. However, for now, I just have an iPhone as my "tablet". It sounds like I would need a nvidia shield for your idea to work.

Reactions: Southern Style

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan