HDMI is here - Which screen to use?

Reaction score
I read the posts here about which tablet to use. Looks like there are few good options. Now that I bought the hdmi upgrade, do I still need a tablet or i can just hook up a screen that supports hdmi?
Which screen is recommended?

Also, why is everyone using ipad air 2 and not ipad 3?

I read the posts here about which tablet to use. Looks like there are few good options. Now that I bought the hdmi upgrade, do I still need a tablet or i can just hook up a screen that supports hdmi?
Which screen is recommended?

Also, why is everyone using ipad air 2 and not ipad 3?
Since you have the HDMI upgrade, you can use an HDMI compatible FPV monitor (or goggles) if you want. There will be a bit less lag with the FPV video.

You can also run the app at the same time on a compatible mobile device. There will be less stress on your mobile device if you put it in map mode. If the app stops working for some reason, you still have full video on the FPV monitor (or goggles) along with some basic telemetry data.

Reactions: TX-Xced and Itay
I've just got a 7" lilliput HDMI monitor with battery power for field use. It can be tripod mounted. I intend to use it for observers to tell me when I'm taking the perfect photo for them without straining over my neck to see the rc screen.

Since you have the HDMI upgrade, you can use an HDMI compatible FPV monitor (or goggles) if you want. QUOTE]

I too have the HDMI output upgrade, but I have found unfortunately that not all FPV goggles are compatible. I purchased a FatShark HD Dominator goggle only to find their HD is not really HD as in HDMI. It is incompatible and a wasted purchase.
I would like recommendations for a FPV goggle that is fully compatible with the HDMI output module on the Phantom 3 Pro. Please don't recommend anything that you don't know "personally" that works. I can't afford another failure.
I want it to allow friends to participate by seeing what I am seeing, including the telemetry data, when I am flying my drone.
Thanks
Mike

Maybe it's just me Mike, but it seems prudent to not make a goggle purchase, or any purchase, without first checking to see if your specific choice is compatible.

There are many recent threads specifically related to goggles. They would make more sense to reference than this 10 month old thread about external monitors. Also, just asking here on the forum about a specific choice prior to purchase would have yielded plenty of friendly feedback and guidance.

I suggest you research the existing threads about goggles or start a new thread if it's not a duplicate of a recent thread. I'm sure you'll get suggestions from the community. Cheers sir.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
Isn't the HDMI output still only 720p? So if you just used a tablet or monitor to view out of the HDMI port - you're just left with the same video quality (720p) and no way to navigate options/settings?

I only see HDMI useful for goggles or sharing your flight real time if you're flying off a 2nd floor patio or something using a 50' HDMI cord plugged into the living room tv

I do wish that before you replied, you CAREFULLY read the message I left.

I said explicitly that the ONLY purpose for the Googles was to allow an observer to see the video output, including the telemetry data which I see as I fly the Phantom 3 Pro using a Nividia Shield K1 tablet. I find it impractical to have someone looking over my shoulder trying to see the tablet display.

As a matter of fact I attempted to search the forum for information on goggles, but too late found that the advice and comments applied to earlier versions of the Phantom, not the Phantom 3 Pro.

People tend to not include specifics about hardware model, software version and other pertinent information when they respond.
Never the less, I appreciate their efforts and help.

Mike.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic