HD-3D..... Worth the upgrade

Reaction score
Just decided to move from a phantom 1 using a cheap 2-axis gimbal to a phantom 2. Debating if I should go through the hassle of attempting to transplant the gimbal or move up to a HD-3D. I don't have bottomless pockets so I wanted to throw out the question to the crowd as it if the convenience of the zenmuse and the upgrade from 2 to 3 axis is really worthwhile from a quality of footage standpoint?

Your opinions would be much appreciated.

I came from a 2D to a 3D and its 110% worth it. I could not get over the difference it made in the steadiness of the shots, even in wind especially noticeable was the elimination of the side to side movement that I got with the 2D. Go for it. You will not be disappointed. There goes my head on the block. Lol.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Forgive my 'newbness' but will this work on a P1? Still figuring all this stuff out...

Thanks for the feedback. Is there any options for mounting the zenmuse slightly forwards to avoid the legs being in shot? Also there are two different versions of the hd-3d, one specifically for the P2 and the other comes with the GCU. Would this second version work with the P2? My thought being they are the same price so why not get the version you could possibly use on, say, an F450 or F550 in the future?

cellarboy said:
Thanks for the feedback. Is there any options for mounting the zenmuse slightly forwards to avoid the legs being in shot? Also there are two different versions of the hd-3d, one specifically for the P2 and the other comes with the GCU. Would this second version work with the P2? My thought being they are the same price so why not get the version you could possibly use on, say, an F450 or F550 in the future?
They are both the same basic unit. To avoid the leg in picture you can shoot in medium view or change the lens to a 5.4mm flat field lens which has a narrower field of view and no fish-eye curvature. Its pretty easy to do on the Hero3+ black only. I have done it twice now. It can be done on other models but means taking the GoPro apart. Ragecams.com do it but are expensive. Aliexpress.com do the exact same lens for less than half the price incl. DHL.

No experience of moving the gimbel forward. You might have diffs with the centre of gavity and cable length. Others might have some experience of doing it.

+1 that the 3D gimbal is WAY more steady than the 2D gimbal, which wasn't bad but the 3D is indeed better.

I just run in medium FOV and I never see the leg with the gopro. I do occasionally see the arm when I'm going full throttle forward in ATTI mode because there's that extra tilt.
If you want a moving forward shot and to not see the arm in the shot just stay in GPS mode with less tilt

...or fly in reverse to avoid the tilt showing the arms or motors. You can then reverse the video in post.

If DJI is like every other tech company in the world, the Phantom 3 should be out in the next 30 days. I would hold off for that and but a combo.

IrishSights said:
They are both the same basic unit. To avoid the leg in picture you can shoot in medium view or change the lens to a 5.4mm flat field lens which has a narrower field of view and no fish-eye curvature. Its pretty easy to do on the Hero3+ black only. I have done it twice now. It can be done on other models but means taking the GoPro apart. Ragecams.com do it but are expensive. Aliexpress.com do the exact same lens for less than half the price incl. DHL.

Sorry for going slightly OT, but do you have a link for the correct flat lens for the GoPro? I have found this one

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 49858.html

but the image does not look like the lens is flat.

Thanks..

That's the one I have. The other one I have is the mega expensive same thing from ragecams. The lens won't look flat but it is a flat field lens giving no curvature in the image and projects a 10 Mega pixel image onto the sensor and a narrower FOV.

Only easily fitted to the Hero3+ Black Edition much more difficult with the other models. There are youtube videos as to how to do it.

Its also possible to remove the IR filter from the back with a little heat and you have an IR night vision lens at 850nm. I use mine during the day for archaeolgy work looking for crop marks etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31