Hawaii Vacation Reel- Lava Flow, Shark Dive, Aerial Footage

Re: Hawaii Vacation Reel- Lava Flow, Shark Dive, Aerial Foot

Have you tried the new thrust boosted props? Others flying at elevation like Colorado say they notice a difference. I've flown at about 10,000ft with them. I only use them now instead of the stock props.
http://www.extremeuas.com/products/dji- ... ning-props

knuckles said:
Have you tried the new thrust boosted props? Others flying at elevation like Colorado say they notice a difference. I've flown at about 10,000ft with them. I only use them now instead of the stock props.
http://www.extremeuas.com/products/dji- ... ning-props

Funny you mention as I actually just ordered these last week. I dont plan on being 10,000 ft up anytime soon to test in altitude but looking forward to see how they perform

I use the standard props at 10,000 to 11,000 ft. all the time with no problems. I ordered some thrust-boosted props but haven't received them yet. I doubt I'll try them at high altitude (i.e., 14,000 ft.) unless DJI wants to pay for some research. The last time I wrecked it took 6 weeks to get my P2V+ back from them. You can see some of my high altitude crashes at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrWDCaBG4xk NOTE: IGNORE MY COMMENTS ON THAT VIDEO - I was wrong and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

I like IflyinWY's theory about battery draw. It sounds logical to me but I'm no electrical engineer.

Silverminer said:
I use the standard props at 10,000 to 11,000 ft. all the time with no problems. I ordered some thrust-boosted props but haven't received them yet. I doubt I'll try them at high altitude (i.e., 14,000 ft.) unless DJI wants to pay for some research. The last time I wrecked it took 6 weeks to get my P2V+ back from them. You can see some of my high altitude crashes at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrWDCaBG4xk NOTE: IGNORE MY COMMENTS ON THAT VIDEO - I was wrong and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

I like IflyinWY's theory about battery draw. It sounds logical to me but I'm no electrical engineer.

Almost lost the bird of the peak !!

Silverminer said:

Received the new thrust props, not very impressed. I think I will be sticking with the stock

Silverminer said:
Ah crap. Wish I hasn't just ordered them.

Ya I'm just looking at them as a back up set of props at this point

Did you get the ones that were the official DJI part on the label? Some companies are selling some imitation props that look almost the same minus the black paper label with DJI part label.
The difference you notice is that the props are a bit stiffer than the stock ones and also a bit different angle. There were some threads here a while back with most people liking them from what I remember.
I would rather put props on that will assist with additional lift than leave them off especially flying in the mountains at altitude

knuckles said:
Did you get the ones that were the official DJI part on the label? Some companies are selling some imitation props that look almost the same minus the black paper label with DJI part label.
The difference you notice is that the props are a bit stiffer than the stock ones and also a bit different angle. There were some threads here a while back with most people liking them from what I remember.
I would rather put props on that will assist with additional lift than leave them off especially flying in the mountains at altitude

I did get the official ones, just not as impressed as I expected I guess

Silverminer said:
Mholz said:
Jpooner808 said:
Thanks !! Glad you enjoyed the video.. Had a major issue flying up at Mauna Kea, you might have noticed the shot were I had to catch the bird out of the air abruptly. It was odd, flew fine for 2 minutes then I lost all upward thrust. Could not get her to fly any higher than 50ft then she started to come down fast.. I think it has to do with the thin air as the summit I believe is roughly 14,000ft up.

What the hell is with this? The same thing happened to me four separate times at 14,000 ft. here in Colorado. Flying fine then suddenly she just drops! If you figure it out let me know. I've heard lots of theories but none of them make sense to me. Overheated motors - checked with digital therm = no problem. VRS = I was flying laterally each time. Thin air = why didn't it affect me immediately, not after several minutes? I don't want to steal your thread, just pondering...

You may have gotten caught in a downdraft or rotor. Flying around mountains is a whole different skill.

fastsmiles said:
You may have gotten caught in a downdraft or rotor. Flying around mountains is a whole different skill.

I'm skeptical. That would require four (4) separate downdrafts in four (4) distinct locations in the mountains (5 with Mholz's experience), only at 14,000 ft. never at 12,000 ft., all occurring on calm days.

This is amazing. You did a great job with every angle. I love filming our trips in a similar fashion. You've given me great ideas for next summer. Thanks for sharing!

jgarraffo said:
This is amazing. You did a great job with every angle. I love filming our trips in a similar fashion. You've given me great ideas for next summer. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, it was a blast to film !! I am glad you enjoyed !!

Finally got around to pulling some still shots out of the video

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 506
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 510
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 436
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 474

Some more still shots

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 516
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 506

nice pictures, that's a world of difference from the tourist crowded Honolulu beaches

knuckles said:
nice pictures, that's a world of difference from the tourist crowded Honolulu beaches

Thanks !! I was actually amazed how lucky we got. Every beach we went to were practically empty.. Figured it was because we hiked to many locations trying to avoid the crowd. Honolulu way to touristy and big city like for me, I live in Boston don't need to visit another city when in paradise

Enjoyed the video. Looks like a good time.

Did you bring the phantom with you on hikes? Did you have a backpack for it? Not sure about getting a case, not convinient for hiking

mendezl said:
Enjoyed the video. Looks like a good time.

Did you bring the phantom with you on hikes? Did you have a backpack for it? Not sure about getting a case, not convinient for hiking

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the video. I made sure I always had the phantom on me or in the car. There was never a shortage of locations to fly daily. I use the GoProfessional back pack to travel hike and store my phantom. Fits in overhead carry on so everywhere I fly it comes with me. Here is a pic of the set up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 368

Nice video and great editing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members