Having trouble installing eBay retracts

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm on new here and hoping that you can help me on this one.

I want to install some retracts on my Phantom 2.
The ones from RCDepot are pretty expensive, so I chose to buy a pair from ebay.
This is the retracts I purchased: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1688677078 .

I'm having a little trouble finding out how to connect them to my phantom.
Do I just put them in some free channels in the Naza board?
I tried connecting them to the X1 and X2- channels. Nothing happens when I flick my course lock switch.
I just wanted to be excepted like in the video RCDepot made
(This one: http://youtu.be/As6Ixk3HCnQ)

what am I doing wrong?
How do I get this to work?
Does it have anything to do with the fact that I use the original Phantom controller/transmitter (the white one)?

Hope you guys can help me out.

Regards
Emil from Denmark

i'm afraid you can't get them to work off the standard controller/receiver, If you notice the RCDepot kit has a special box unit, but they wouldn't sell just that box

the only way you can get them to work is by changing to an aftermarket transmitter & receiver thats got an extra channel

Do you have a gimbal lever on your remote? If not, you should add one. They're cheap.

CityZen said:
Do you have a gimbal lever on your remote? If not, you should add one. They're cheap.

Maybe it's wierd. Maybe it's because English isn't my main language.
But what is a gimbal lever? The thing on the back to tilt my gimbal?

p fandango said:
i'm afraid you can't get them to work off the standard controller/receiver, If you notice the RCDepot kit has a special box unit, but they wouldn't sell just that box

the only way you can get them to work is by changing to an aftermarket transmitter & receiver thats got an extra channel

Sounds pretty shitty..
The China company told me it would be oh so easy.

Is there any other alternative than the RCDepot one with the original controller?.

Hobse said:

Is there any other alternative than the RCDepot one with the original controller?.
China lies lol

as the other person says, i think it can be done if you can life with the legs retracting instead of having control of the gimbal tilt. But for me i gave up & changed to normal legs again

p fandango said:
Hobse said:

China lies lol

as the other person says, i think it can be done if you can life with the legs retracting instead of having control of the gimbal tilt. But for me i gave up & changed to normal legs again

Okay so maybe there's hope. Just a wild guess:

If I use a Y-cable to connect my retracts to the X1 port, it would be possible for me to control the retracts from the tilt lever?

You know I can always connect a gimbal lever on the front of my controller. Or what?

Welcome to the forum!

I'm afraid that I'm a bit lost regarding your last question. I believe you got sold retracts that won't work with your existing transmitter and receiver.

I've learned my lesson about EBay sellers from China. As long as it is LEDs or other electronic parts, I will purchase from them, but otherwise, I stay away from them and I look for USA sellers. But, for everything else, I buy from Amazon.com

If I use a Y-cable to connect my retracts to the X1 port, it would be possible for me to control the retracts from the tilt lever?

Yes, that should work.

CityZen said:

Yes, that should work.
so will that still give control of the gimbal & move the legs up & out of the way when you tilt the camera down?

CityZen said:

Yes, that should work.

nNTQzT2.jpg

I just tried just connecting one of my retracts to the X1 port and powering up the phantom. Use the gimbal tilt-lever on the back doesn't Do anything. Retracts just won't work..

CityZen said:
Sorry, should be F2, not X1, I think.

Hi
No luck through the F2 port. Have you tried this before?
I'm just wondering if I'm doing the right thing on my controller. I just flick the tilt lever.
fUhSe0f.jpg

Hi.

I just bought a Futaba T8J reciever and transmitter.
So I guess now i can hook my retracts up on the reciever?

Hobse said:
CityZen said:

Hi
I'm just wondering if I'm doing the right thing on my controller. I just flick the tilt lever.

If you haven't calibrated that channel, it may explain why it didn't work.

CityZen said:
Hobse said:
CityZen said:

Hi

If you haven't calibrated that channel, it may explain why it didn't work.

Sorry, that i am so stupid.. But how do you do that and why do i have to do it?
What I understand is, that there is not enough channel in the Phantom receiver, which means there is no way to control it from the controller. Am I wrong?

The Phantom receiver is a D-Bus unit, which should have at least 8 and maybe 16 channels available. The Phantom transmitter has 7 channels: 4 for the sticks, 2 for the switches, and 1 for the gimbal control (the "hidden" channel on the back side).

To calibrate the transmitter completely is a multi-step process:
1) Attach the transmitter to a computer via the USB connection, which may be inside the transmitter.
Run the RC Assistant software and calibrate there. This step may not be necessary.
2) Attach the Phantom to a computer via the USB connection.
Run the Phantom/Naza Assistant software and calibrate there. This step is necessary.

Note that each software has a slightly different calibration process. But either way, you'll be good if you move all the controls to their limits before moving to the next step.

Note that if you have to open the transmitter to calibrate it, you can't properly operate the backside-mounted lever, unless you find a way to close the cover with the cable still connected.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj