Haven't seen this one before

Reaction score
Wrecked coptor. Arms did not break. looks like ring that goes around motor on arm slipped right off. I can slide it back over motor but it is not real tight. What needs to be replaced? Motor for arm? Excuse my terminology, still learning. Will post pics as soon as I figure out how to add from my phone

Here are the pics
tmp_10372-IMG_8662-106560257.JPG
tmp_10372-IMG_8663-1358291809.JPG
tmp_10372-IMG_8661-15338417.JPG

The last one I saw like that had a light brown colored type gasket strip around the motor piece and inside the ring on the arm. Like a spacer.

However when I look at mine(assembled) I can see no spacer or strip.

If nothing is bent or broken, you may get by with a ribbon cable and a gasket/spacer/whatever to fit between the arm ring and the motor.

Other option is to buy from the 4 hole grey gimbal downward, so you get complete gimbal/camera ready to pin back on the flange with the 2 clear plastic pins.

Were $389 usd all included direct from DJI to you door.
Good DJI Ribbon cable is about 50 usd.
If you do the work yourself no shipping off to repair and no labor.

Last edited:
I've seen some talk about glue being around the ring but I've taken one apart before and seen no remnants of glue. it's like the thing slipped right off. wondering if the crash sheered something off the motor where the ring slips around.

Anyone else have any insight?

The roll motor just slipped out of the mount. If the ring part on the Mount is not cracked or out of round you can you a product made by loctite that is used to seat sleeves or bearings in their mounts. It's a green in color. When I had to replace all my arms all I did was you the red loctite on the motor because I didn't have the sleeve loctite. It work just fine. Don't use super glue.

Reactions: Digdat0
hey man, i had a similar crash. my camera separated in a close / similar place, and it broke the magnets inside the sleeve and bent that part of the gimbal, as well as torn ribbon. the metal sleeve goes over the magnet motor part and will kinda fit snug. in my case it was bent and the magnets were fubar. hope my info helps even if it isn't exactly the same.

here are my pics.

TesndS0.jpg

Y9jdCUo.jpg

tSVZM1j.jpg

i sent it into DJI and got it repaired, they were able to replace one component as well as a few other things i broke. its the "Gimbal Roll Axis Component (Pro/adv)" and was $69. here's the invoice, i called and asked them to fix the main board rather than replace (a capacitor was loose) post crash.

L50MwKA.jpg

hey man, i had a similar crash. my camera separated in a close / similar place, and it broke the magnets inside the sleeve and bent that part of the gimbal, as well as torn ribbon. the metal sleeve goes over the magnet motor part and will kinda fit snug. in my case it was bent and the magnets were fubar. hope my info helps even if it isn't exactly the same.

here are my pics.

TesndS0.jpg

Y9jdCUo.jpg

tSVZM1j.jpg

i sent it into DJI and got it repaired, they were able to replace one component as well as a few other things i broke. its the "Gimbal Roll Axis Component (Pro/adv)" and was $69. here's the invoice, i called and asked them to fix the main board rather than replace (a capacitor was loose) post crash.

L50MwKA.jpg

Dang you got a real nice discount for a non-warranty repair.

Dang you got a real nice discount for a non-warranty repair.

They wanted to replace the main board ... I couldn't afford it. I asked the tech if they could fix and he said yes. A capacitor was loose and needed to be soldered back. It took a lot of pushing and negotiations ... Was the difference between affording the fix and not :)

Still haven't decided what to do. If you look at the first picture, the only thing that seems wrong is the ring won't stay on that motor. Should I get a new motor? I saw a roll arm with the motor already in the ring for sale. Or can I repair it another way

I'd try the sleeve lock tight which raceman17 mentioned. Otherwise you are looking at buying a new Gimbal Roll Arm.

You don't really have any actual issue. When items are manufactured they have tolerances that are built into the parts so things will go together during assembly. The roll motor is designed to slip into the mount and be secured with a locking compound. Just get some loctite and put the thing back together. If u are worried about it coming apart again buy one of those bolt on mounts that keeps the roll motor from coming out if u crash. This is a real simple fix with the motor. The cable will be the worst part. Just make sure u watch a few YouTube videos and make sure all the ribbon connectors are tight in each of their motors and seated in their connectors or everything won't work right.

You don't really have any actual issue. When items are manufactured they have tolerances that are built into the parts so things will go together during assembly. The roll motor is designed to slip into the mount and be secured with a locking compound. Just get some loctite and put the thing back together. If u are worried about it coming apart again buy one of those bolt on mounts that keeps the roll motor from coming out if u crash. This is a real simple fix with the motor. The cable will be the worst part. Just make sure u watch a few YouTube videos and make sure all the ribbon connectors are tight in each of their motors and seated in their connectors or everything won't work right.
You have a link for the bolt on mount?

Should be able to handle the ribbon since I've done that before!

The item it called a "gimbal saver." there is literally thousands of them out there. Just do a Google search and buy one from whoever you want to get it from. They all follow the same concept. When I had to replace my arms on my Phantom I searched for videos on the roll arm replacement and there was nothing out there. My arm snapped with the ring attached around the motor so I had to get the ring off to put the motor on the new arm. The tight clearance between the roll motor and roll arm is suppose to allow for a press fit connection. When I separated mine I noticed that it had a locking compound between the two surfaces. My aftermarket arm kit I purchased was just a tad bit oversize and the motor was not secure in the mount. I added the loctite and it fixed the problem. For what it's worth.. I'm a mechanical engineer and have a lot of background in manufacturing and assembly of final components. I would not lead you down a road that was wrong and I definitely am not pulling this info out of my ***.

The gimbal lock is common and many versions are sold. They are essentially all the same... with a piece of aluminum wrapping around the front of the gimbal to hold everything together in the event of a crash. You remove the back of the gimbal to install it. Here is a pic of one on my Phantom.

Attachments

• 1459715805719.jpg
    1459715805719.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 512
The item it called a "gimbal saver." there is literally thousands of them out there. Just do a Google search and buy one from whoever you want to get it from. They all follow the same concept. When I had to replace my arms on my Phantom I searched for videos on the roll arm replacement and there was nothing out there. My arm snapped with the ring attached around the motor so I had to get the ring off to put the motor on the new arm. The tight clearance between the roll motor and roll arm is suppose to allow for a press fit connection. When I separated mine I noticed that it had a locking compound between the two surfaces. My aftermarket arm kit I purchased was just a tad bit oversize and the motor was not secure in the mount. I added the loctite and it fixed the problem. For what it's worth.. I'm a mechanical engineer and have a lot of background in manufacturing and assembly of final components. I would not lead you down a road that was wrong and I definitely am not pulling this info out of my ***.

This sounds great Raceman! Thanks a bunch for the info. Once I get the ribbon I will get on it. I will let this thread know how it goes!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31