Have Your Neighbors Made Their Property A No Fly Zone?

Fish net

Yea she sometimes wears fish nets but then I have like 15 - 20 quads all buzzing around. They don't make a spray or something that will keep them away? Candles or something?

It seems to be only a US problem. I fly where I want, and make sure I keep enough height when flying over someone's property (40 meters / 120 feet) should be enough.

Reactions: Mikebike
Also...I wonder what Barbara Streisand thinks of all this.

Hopefully it'll create a new "Streisand effect" and shine a light on how absurd this all is. Its only a matter of time before you see stories about this on the Today Shows and Good Morning America's. "Drone Privacy Panic" or "Is your privacy at risk?"

The panic and false outrage will come.

* For those that don't know Barbara Streisand sued over photos of her Malibu Estate being published and even though she won it ended up blowing up in her face because the photos and her property became a National headline and instead of a few thousand people seeing her house, millions did.

While no one in my neighborhood has entered their address, yet. I am technically grounded by the church/school next door to me! My home is about 30 feet away from the nearest building. The no fly radius in Airmap.io completely covers my property. On a funnier note, the school's quadcopter club is also grounded, so to speak. Although no one will probably follow this insane No Fly zone it still gives me pause to think where will this stop?

What is interesting is that home owners do not legally control the airspace above their home, they MAY have a right to privacy from filming them but I believe that outdoor locations in an area that you could see from the top of an adjacent building or mountain is fair game. The law has already weighed in on that. In my area, aircraft fly low from time to time, saying that an unmanned aircraft cannot fly there but an airplane can is inconsistent.
I just got my P3A a week ago and the first thing I did was post to my homeowners message board that I had one, who I am, and that they might see it flying to much more interesting things other than their homes (I live in a picturesque location with mountains and streams etc). I also offered to get video of their homes and families from above for free if they wanted. I got all positive responses. The president of the association even asked if I would document some issues they are having with the local stream eating away banks of properties as they are arguing with the country about how much the bank is eroding. Now we can show video for the next year from the air and document it clearly. Being open and honest with your neighbors and showing that you aren't interested in lurking over their homes will go a long way. Offer to film peoples events, bbq's family gatherings etc. That may give them a little better feeling about what you are doing.

What is interesting is that home owners do not legally control the airspace above their home, they MAY have a right to privacy from filming them but I believe that outdoor locations in an area that you could see from the top of an adjacent building or mountain is fair game. The law has already weighed in on that. In my area, aircraft fly low from time to time, saying that an unmanned aircraft cannot fly there but an airplane can is inconsistent.
I just got my P3A a week ago and the first thing I did was post to my homeowners message board that I had one, who I am, and that they might see it flying to much more interesting things other than their homes (I live in a picturesque location with mountains and streams etc). I also offered to get video of their homes and families from above for free if they wanted. I got all positive responses. The president of the association even asked if I would document some issues they are having with the local stream eating away banks of properties as they are arguing with the country about how much the bank is eroding. Now we can show video for the next year from the air and document it clearly. Being open and honest with your neighbors and showing that you aren't interested in lurking over their homes will go a long way. Offer to film peoples events, bbq's family gatherings etc. That may give them a little better feeling about what you are doing.
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum Cary. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

While this type of site (AirMap), has no bearing on FAA rules or jurisdiction, the problem is UAV manufacturers like DJI & 3DR are voluntarily working with AirMap (the company offering residential NFZ's), and implementing live updated NFZ's in the firmware. They don't have to, but they opt to. So far DJI has been said to not recognize personal NFZ's, lets hope they continue to not recognize them.

Good ideas all around

Reactions: thousandyard
I haven't read all the thread as its so long, but could I suggest this site by airmap allows those that are anti drone to vent their dislike and then neighbouring drone pilots then know where to avoid ( voluntarily).
Win win

Is this legal in the US? I have no authority over the airspace above my property. Only the FAA does.

Wow guys I feel sorry for you. If the people will notice this no fly zone ****, for sure it will become impossible to fly. You will all have to move to europe. But do it fast because probably in a few years europe will be orange also.

I checked AirMap in my area and found a trailer park with a complete NFZ plus a few homes in the neighborhood.

Last edited:
Is this legal in the US? I have no authority over the airspace above my property. Only the FAA does.

Legal? Sure. Anyone can say anything they want in the US.

Enforceable? <insert peals of laughter here>

They have to pay a site that has no legal authority over airspace to add their homes. Good to know where the suckers are living because I have some bridges to off-load.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31