Have you ever seen a crack here before?

I am on the phone with Amazom Prime, The lady I am speaking to said that they can not get in contact with the third party seller I purchased it from and they will issue me a full refund as a (something) claim? It was broken English, some kind of claim. She did not say anything about sending this one back to the seller. I guess since they can not contact them.
The only thing is that I got this one on sale for $620. and to replace it will be $100 more. But I guess I would have some spare parts.

That would be amazing if you were to get the refund and keep the other broken drone for spare parts. Maybe u got lucky. I think everybody with a phantom would love to pay $100 for every spare part you will ever need for your other phantom, one for the good guys..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

After 10 months of flying my P3P, it too has a crack in the same place. With the new cracks showing up it make me wonder if the latest firmware has changed some flight characteristics that is causing it. In my case, the crack was small so I touched it up with Bondic. Holding well thus far.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have a crack exactly like that, mine was clearly caused by me over tightening the screws. Have you tightened any screws on the arms? I bought a new shell and the molded-in ribs look much beefier that my current shell. I will make certain to not over tighten the screws when I swap the shells.

Reactions: Double_DoubleG
I have a crack exactly like that, mine was clearly caused by me over tightening the screws. Have you tightened any screws on the arms? I bought a new shell and the molded-in ribs look much beefier that my current shell. I will make certain to not over tighten the screws when I swap the shells.
No, I have never touched the screws. I did have something rattling around inside the quad a few weeks ago. I shook out a small white tab looking thing.
I did have my transmitter apart to install the new antennas. I noticed the inside of it is crumbling. Little white bits everywhere.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app

Funny you should say that. Although I caused the crack by over tightening, when I opened the shell I also found a pile a little chipped pieces of plastic inside.

I suspect the white tab you are referring to is related to the 4 tabs on each motor mount, one on each quadrant of the motor, I had one of those shaking around in there also.

I noticed my replacement shell was designed differently, looks like for the better.

Funny you should say that. Although I caused the crack by over tightening, when I opened the shell I also found a pile a little chipped pieces of plastic inside.

I suspect the white tab you are referring to is related to the 4 tabs on each motor mount, one on each quadrant of the motor, I had one of those shaking around in there also.

I noticed my replacement shell was designed differently, looks like for the better.

What design changes did you notice? Have not seen the inside of a shell so I'm curious about the design especially around the motor mounts.

Well, Amazon got in touch with the seller. It looks like I have to send it to DJI. The seller doesn't do repairs and it's out of their 30 day exchange period.
I sent an email to DJI yesterday, but I haven't heard back yet.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app

what state do you live in?

takes about 3 weeks from time you ship to the time you receive , depending on where you live. the repair took 1 day.

What design changes did you notice? Have not seen the inside of a shell so I'm curious about the design especially around the motor mounts.

There is more, and thicker ribs molded in.

041625thy7d7974s8ry1y4.jpg

Thank you for the pictures, it does look like they added significant support.

wow thats awesome news, mine comes back tomorrow, I'll hold off on ordering the UAV things until I see a new crack or something, but with the new shell thats promising

I have also cracks in the top shell of my P3A (11 months). I have never crashed or touched the screws.
Overview Total.jpg
DJI has sent me a RMA form.

Reactions: HWCM
It's bad plastic. Basic engineering: no matter how good is the design of a structure, if the material used to make it is BAD it will develop problems at some point. That's why we sample every mix of concrete upon arrival at a construction site, to control the mix because it's that important.

Even more true with monocoque structures and small ones (like the P3), where the shell IS the structure that supports the forces and loads acting on the object, like the egg or a rocket for instance - and of course the P3 shell. It's so small that an issue with the material will show up more frequently and sooner (and with worse consequences) than, say, in a large building or something with a problem here or there. Exactly what we see.

That's to say no matter what "version" of the shell, if the plastic used for a certain batch was bad (probably the mix) then it might develop cracks at a point. The same goes for the TXs cracking out of nowhere. Bad plastic, friends. Nothing to do with screws, props, active break setup, and certainly not with the FW being used!!!

Reactions: Dounin Front
There is more, and thicker ribs molded in.

041625thy7d7974s8ry1y4.jpg
Your old shell is for old motor version 2312 as mine.
Your spare new shell look to be for new motors 2312A as my spare shell.
I had hard time thinking that my spare shell will not be compatible with my old motors.
ccc.jpg

I checked and the old motor fit in the new shell. It is the new motor than don't fit in the old shell (or you would need to cut something) but you would have to change all motors and also the ESC main board so not a real case.
Looks really more strong with more and wider reinforcements.

Attachments

• 2016-08-18 16.40.13.jpg
    2016-08-18 16.40.13.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 252
Your old shell is for old motor version 2312 as mine.
Your spare new shell look to be for new motors 2312A as my spare shell.
I had hard time thinking that my spare shell will not be compatible with my old motors.
View attachment 62499

I checked and the old motor fit in the new shell. It is the new motor than don't fit in the old shell (or you would need to cut something) but you would have to change all motors and also the ESC main board so not a real case.
Looks really more strong with more and wider reinforcements.
Thanks for going to the trouble of showing us the comparison. They have beefed it up quite a bit.

It's bad plastic. Basic engineering: no matter how good is the design of a structure, if the material used to make it is BAD it will develop problems at some point. That's why we sample every mix of concrete upon arrival at a construction site, to control the mix because it's that important.

Even more true with monocoque structures and small ones (like the P3), where the shell IS the structure that supports the forces and loads acting on the object, like the egg or a rocket for instance - and of course the P3 shell. It's so small that an issue with the material will show up more frequently and sooner (and with worse consequences) than, say, in a large building or something with a problem here or there. Exactly what we see.

That's to say no matter what "version" of the shell, if the plastic used for a certain batch was bad (probably the mix) then it might develop cracks at a point. The same goes for the TXs cracking out of nowhere. Bad plastic, friends. Nothing to do with screws, props, active break setup, and certainly not with the FW being used!!!
yep it comes down to dji .watching manufactures product which apparently they don't

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20