Have You Ever Done A Long One Way Flight because of battery life?

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has done a very long distance flight towards yourself because battery life won't support a round trip flight?

I have a beach area by me that has two Bridges I'd like to fly over that is about 2.5 miles start to finish.

I'm thinking of asking a friend to drive the p3 across the bridges and let me take off from 2.5 miles away and pilot it towards me. (Very unobstructed area.)

Anyone ever try something like that?

Am I nuts for considering it?

Do a round trip. It shouldn't be a problem. I've done over 7 miles round trip. All stock.

I'm not sure you'll be able to start the motors due to lack of signal as the quad wont have any altitude at over 2miles away - I'm probably right as a few people have said the same thing below

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrea
How are you guys getting these long distances? The furthest I've take. My P3A was 6000 feet before the video started flaking out on me! I was on a hill, very few trees in my way, and the quad was pretty high.

Maybe I need to find a big flat field and try that...

Idea is crazy but worth attempting. :)

Would be cool, but zero feet altitude at 2 miles will likely yield no signal unless you are piloting from a large hill. It's a little risky as return to home point will be at take off, so any problem encountered sends it back to that point. I wouldn't even attempt unless no civilization of any kind between you and takeoff point.

You won't be able to take off unless you have a direct line of sight and a good RC connection.

The longest one way flight I have seen on video is 10 miles one way. The guys name I can't remember but he was using an antenna and battery mod of course as well. He flew out 10 miles and landed . I'll look around I'm sure the video is still around somewhere .

I have actually done something similar to that but the distance was a mile or so. My son was wanting to show my P3P to some friends of his and I told him to hold on to it while I start it up and fly back to my location. Could not get it going at first but after he got to area that was a little higher the signal was received by the P3P and I simply powered it up right out of his hands back to my location.

How are you guys getting these long distances? The furthest I've take. My P3A was 6000 feet before the video started flaking out on me! I was on a hill, very few trees in my way, and the quad was pretty high.

Maybe I need to find a big flat field and try that...

Try going a bit higher & aim the antennas as per the DJI instructions - I got 4000meters or just over 13000ft. This was over a huge dryed up lake with no obstructions - could have gone further but went out with the wind & struggled back at half the speed - landed with 22% battery...Lesson learnt, don't do distance when it's windy. Or go out into the wind

Just do a round trip. If you average 20mph that's 3 minute miles. Soooo 15 minutes and you'll be back with a bit to spare....not to much though

Yes but you can change it so it lands on the spot if signal is lost,
Flying away then landing at a pre-determined point with someone to pick it up is the best plan.

Good point - but this 'mission' has all the elements of going 'tits up' Best bet is to fly out to his mate - take a couple of gimbal down 'selfies' of said mate & fly back. Job done

Reactions: Twistedladle

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1