Have you ever been told off?

Reaction score
I got told off yesterday by a neighbour and told not too fly over his house and property. He said it was noisey and he didn't want me filming (which i wasn't) I took it on the chin and apologised. I try to fly very high above properties and try to keep around the edges on the fields but on this occasion i got a ticking off as i flew over his garden to land. Fair do's. I can understand his objection totally. Has anybody else been warned and do you fly out from the back of your garden?

Yes ......I had a neighbor tell me I was invading his privacy!, I was not even flying anywhere near or above his house, I told him to look up Google earth, and said he should be worried more about them, or Bing Earth and all the other satellites watching over everyone.

Was flying in a local public park. I was going some high speed runs and circles. The park was pretty empty but on occasion I flew over the park boundary and over some houses. It's hard to judge where the Phantom is exactly over when at distance.

Then this oldish guy came walking over to me. After having so much positive feedback from the public and mostly amazement from people seeing it I was expecting him to be in the same group.

Unfortunately not. He immediately started off by asking if I had a license for it. I replied with you don't need one, he then started off saying yes u do, it's against the law, recording is not allowed either etc etc

I was pretty taken back by this first and so far only negativity. It kinda put me off flying a bit. However most people just think 'drone' and recall all the media negativity of the word.

I can understand the invasion of privacy flying over someone's back garden on purpose. Still there are going to be many many more being flown around in the near future with the advances of the technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's just the way it is, i use to shoot professionally and i can tell you it often happen that when shooting in public, people didn't like it and if i was in a neighborhood minding my own business, some people would still get pissed off and come 'talk' to me.

Stay professional and that's about all you can do.

If you want to show you are right about terms and regulations/laws then you can push it if the police comes. Just let me warn you that cops do NOT take kindly to be bothered by things like that, so unless you are ready for a fight, the best you can do is just what you did, remain professional and either stay or move somewhere else.

Educating each individual isn't hard when they aren't mad at you, but once mad you can't really do much about it.

Things changed when i started to have 1 or 2 assistant with me carrying gear. People tend to stay away when you shoot like that.

Don't get discouraged, opinions and attitudes are just like [insert word that goes with 'hole'], everyone has one :lol:

This suggestion is going to be too late to help any of the posted "adventures" in the previous posts, but IF you plan on doing most...or even some...of your flying from your back yard...AND..you have neighbors that are not Phantom Phans....and not everyone is....as we are finding out, then it might be a wise course of action to give them some advanced introduction to your Phantom BEFORE your first flights.. We know that most people are quite fascinated to see one of these devices in action, so anything that we might be able to do to lessen the "Drone Phobia" for them can pay off in the long run.

So...before that first flight, maybe invite them to see your new Phantom, explain how it works, what you intend to do with it, in other words....get them involved at some very basic level. That way, when they first hear it take off, hover, etc. they will have a good idea about the hobby. I've found that the two "Events" that always get such positive attention and amazement, are when the Phantom itself is powered on and it emits the "Wheeldle, dooop, dooop..." (I hope I'm spelling that right..!) and gives such a 'spacey' sound and light show... And...the second time folks are stunned is right after I take it off and let it hover 7 or 8 feet off the ground...floating in the air. Most of the time, at that point, someone is asking, "How can I get one of THOSE?"

Even though we might be well within our legal rights and limits to fly in most areas, the best thing we can do long term is to approach all of this keeping in mind the viewpoints and feeling of those people who only know that "Drones are Bad Things" and might kill you....! On the other hand, if they are "prepped" a bit and maybe even have held the controller in their hands and done a few basic maneuvers, they might have a much more positive feeling about hearing...and seeing...a Phantom in the Sky from time to time. "Hey Marge, it sounds like that nerdy neighbor of ours is flying his new contraption again...I think I'll go over and have a look at it again...maybe I should take a brew or two along for him?"

OK..that might be TOO ideal...but you get the basic thought....!

I tell the old people I work for the government and I'm surveying the area because there are profiled terrorist living in our neighborhood.

So far I've had 100% success. I know I just doomed myself saying that, but it's true. My neighbors are cool with it and the kids love to watch it.

As bad luck goes, my very first flight as soon as I took off, a sheriff drove by, stopped, got out, and asked me loads of questions on where to buy it/description/etc.

I welcome future talks with disgruntled viewers because I know the "guidelines" which are not laws, where I fly has no HOA, and public recording is fine!

kydan said:
As bad luck goes, my very first flight as soon as I took off, a sheriff drove by, stopped, got out, and asked me loads of questions on where to buy it/description/etc.

Our state happens to be one of the ones that has already banned UAV use by law enforcement agencies...I know a few deputies here in town that are drooling over my Phantom, but have been told they can't use it for the department.

I've never been approached with a negative perspective on this...yet. My neighbors don't seem to mind, and I often take my Phantom for a "walk" up the street on my way to the high school football field nearby (aka "test facility 2B" :D)

I was recording in an Oregon State park and was told not to fly by a Ranger. I asked for his ID and he showed to me. He said people were complaining about the noise. (??) I said ok and then asked him if there were laws saying I couldn't fly. He said no and I replied, If I come back when there are no people, then is it ok to fly. He said yes. Not sure if I believe the noise factor, as I was flying around a peak of about 300 feel high. It took about 1 hour to leave because of all the bystanders that were amazed with the P2V. It was a good day :)

I've had mostly positive reactions, like everyone's been saying, minus one incident. I was flying near the Hollywood sign, from one of the trails, and as I started heading for the sign, I flew over one of the horse ranches that are up in the hills there. From my vantage point up on a hill, I could see down into the horse ranch, and there was a bunch of them in their paddock and some people outside. Some guy then yelled up to me, asking me to please not fly over the ranch, as it will scare the horses. I can tell you now, I was plenty high enough that I was not scaring any of the horses, and I'm sure they are plenty used to aircraft noise as there's police and tour helicopters circling the Hollywood sign every five minutes.

Nevertheless I called back down saying no problem and flew it away from the ranch. 5 minutes later as I was getting ready to leave, a hiker walked by me on the trail and told me I should be careful flying in that area, cause the park rangers have started issuing tickets to other people flying quadcopters. So it was a bit of a discouraging day to say the least. I'd been wanting to get a good shot of the Hollywood sign, but I'm not sure if I'll risk going back. Maybe early in the morning at sunrise or something.

thongbong said:
I tell the old people I work for the government and I'm surveying the area because there are profiled terrorist living in our neighborhood.

I like that,thats a good one :lol:

Honestly, I don't mess with horses. I've been around enough to know how easily (and seemingly irrationally) they can spook, so if a rancher says he's worried that a 100m high quad I can barely see let alone hear may affect his horses, I'm more than happy not to fly over his land, even if I don't believe him.

Flying at parks I've never had a bad experience, it's usually kids running at the phantom and dada asking where they can get one and glancing hopefully at their wives. And my wife subtly making eye contact and shaking her head at the other wives :)

But the kids, that's mainly the reason I don't fly at parks much nowadays. They have no concept of safety, and neither do the parents, so I don't like going into a "flying blender" safety orientation that ultimately leads to begging the question "so why are you flying that thing in a public park with kids around?" It hasn't gone that far yet but I always worry that it will.

From a legal standpoint, how high do you have to go to become a "public" air space and not your neighbor's airspace?

yawnalot29 said:
From a legal standpoint, how high do you have to go to become a "public" air space and not your neighbor's airspace?

AFAIK above the US federal gov considers anything above 500 feet to be public highway based on a 1946 supreme court decision.

It differs of course and their's nothing set in stone AFAIK.

Ronan87 said:
yawnalot29 said:

AFAIK above the US federal gov considers anything above 500 feet to be public highway based on a 1946 supreme court decision.

It differs of course and their's nothing set in stone AFAIK.

And 400 feet is the limit in the US to fly?

I deliberately go well outside of the village I live in, as I really don't want to upset any of my neighbours. Luckily though it's only a 5 minute cycle ride to get to a nice spot to fly in.

Problem is that at some point I may upset a land owner (farmer), but so far that hasn't happened. I remember a tip from someone else on this forum that it's a good idea to move flying spots often, which I should probably do more. But in my favourite spot (a path between my village and the next) I get nothing by friendly comments and questions. One guy even told me he was surprised at how little noise it makes. And I live in Switzerland where noise pollution is treated quite seriously (I can't even mow the lawn on a Sunday...).

DanCH said:
And 400 feet is the limit in the US to fly?

There is no limit on how high you can fly. FAA has guidelines of nothing over 400 feet, but it's not against the law. Soooo, until something gets passed, fly as high as you want (responsibly).

Within a couple of days of moving into my neighborhood several of my new neighbors came to my front door to complain about my kid riding his gas scooter (remember those?). I asked if there were any restrictions in the HOA rules on them and they said no. Since it's a gated community, the local law enforcement had no jurisdiction. So I looked them up and down and told them I still had friends from my old neighborhood and didn't need any new ones and closed the door I thier faces. I'm figuring it's just a matter of time before they visit again about me flying my P2. I fly out my back yard and pretty much stay in the woods behind my house. But I see the dirty looks from a few people. I'm guessing I'm due for a talking to soon.

jondrew said:
Within a couple of days of moving into my neighborhood several of my new neighbors came to my front door to complain about my kid riding his gas scooter (remember those?). I asked if there were any restrictions in the HOA rules on them and they said no. Since it's a gated community, the local law enforcement had no jurisdiction. So I looked them up and down and told them I still had friends from my old neighborhood and didn't need any new ones and closed the door I thier faces. I'm figuring it's just a matter of time before they visit again about me flying my P2. I fly out my back yard and pretty much stay in the woods behind my house. But I see the dirty looks from a few people. I'm guessing I'm due for a talking to soon.

Yupp gated communities are notorious for having ZERO tolerance to pretty much anything.

I'm surprised your HOA doesn't cover it, they are usually absurdly long and you find all kind of restrictions, sometimes even on curtain colors... and even hue's of paint colors for various things like fences and sheds...

Oh Bugger! Got another neighbour come round this evening to give me a piece of his mind:( I was flying very high above my property and he did not like it looking over his house even though he's down the road. The first thing they all ask is 'do you have a camera on that?' I say yes and try to explain. I only fly above my house now because i don't want the neighbours to complain but thats not working now. I try to be short and sweet and maybe once or twice a week at most. 15 minutes top.
He's going to to the council to make a complaint against me now. A public nuisance order he's threatened.
I was calm and collected and tried to be a gentleman and explaining what i was doing but no.
I do live in an area where a lot of retired people live and i try to be careful.
Think my time is up flying above my house. I'd rather not do it than be hated by neighbours.

Marconi Union said:
Oh Bugger! Got another neighbour come round this evening to give me a piece of his mind:( I was flying very high above my property and he did not like it looking over his house even though he's down the road. The first thing they all ask is 'do you have a camera on that?' I say yes and try to explain. I only fly above my house now because i don't want the neighbours to complain but thats not working now. I try to be short and sweet and maybe once or twice a week at most. 15 minutes top.
He's going to to the council to make a complaint against me now. A public nuisance order he's threatened.
I was calm and collected and tried to be a gentleman and explaining what i was doing but no.
I do live in an area where a lot of retired people live and i try to be careful.
Think my time is up flying above my house. I'd rather not do it than be hated by neighbours.

Well, it looks to me that you are being reasonable.... that is the best any of us can do.

I just finished watching your "Flying in crimson skies". I loved the effects, the silent story and it was beautiful. God I can't wait for my Phantom to get here, learn to fly and begin to get creative. Again...good job and good luck with your neighbors.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl