Have OSD transmit, but not GoPro video.

Reaction score
Just put everything carefully together for my venture into fpv, but not getting video from camera-OSD display is coming thru fine. Gimbal ribbon cable ohms out ok. And have double checked wiring from P2 to iOSD mini, and to tx. What I wonder does the video signal just pass thru the gimbal, or if it goes thru the gimbal's circuit board. Also does the iOSD mini green light supposed to be steady on? mine flashes green when system is on. If I could get a good video signal input just past the gimbal this may tell me if the problem is in the gimbal or not. Otherwise I'm out of ideas and broken hearted. The usb out on the GoPro should have video wire, right? thanks for any ideas. capg

P2 with zen 2d gimbal
isod mini, boscam832tx,832rc
gopro3+

Yes the USB ribbon cable on the gimbal (plugs in to the go pro) does have a video signal on it, but it's common for those to get small fractures that break the video feed. Most of the time when the iOSD is visible on the display but no image is coming from the camera, that's the cause. Or, you didn't have the camera on and/or the lens cap off ;)

I checked the ribbon cable(from main board to Zenmuse) pin to pin and is good, as is from iosd and Tx. I now think I know which
wire is the video feed and if I could locate the pin at the gopro plug (backside) of the zen, could tell if I have a break somewhere inside the gimbal, yuk! It doesn't appear any of the fpv stuff I put on is faulty, I just hope its something obvious and easy.

ussvertigo said:
I checked the ribbon cable(from main board to Zenmuse) pin to pin and is good, as is from iosd and Tx. I now think I know which
wire is the video feed and if I could locate the pin at the gopro plug (backside) of the zen, could tell if I have a break somewhere inside the gimbal, yuk! It doesn't appear any of the fpv stuff I put on is faulty, I just hope its something obvious and easy.

That's not the ribbon cable I'm talking about, the one you need to check is the one right where it plugs in to the gopro's USB port...the thin laminated lead that goes around to the back side of the camera's cradle. Right where that cable meets the USB plug board is where the fractures usually happen....I've experienced exactly that and so have many others. You should have a spare for that in the H3-3D box.

OK I know what youre talking about but mine is the 2d gimbal, are you saying I need that attachment for the 2d gimbal also? That would be my luck.

Gotcha, that was my fault, I missed that it was a -2D not a -3D :oops:

Even on the H3-2D there's several ribbon cable connections like that one which snake around the gimbal chassis...if the video traces are compromised anywhere along them it can kill your video feed. Are you sure the camera was on at the time, and seated fully in the gimbal's cradle (with the rear port inserted firmly)?

To make sure its tight I just stuck some bubble gum on it. I'm afraid of your mention of the gimbals ribbons cause that's where I think the video is not getting thru. Or could it get dropped as it goes thru the iosd mini, does that make sense? I think I should bypass the mini and see if I get a picture.
Also, does the picture only transmit when it is recording? I have been doing all my trouble shooting with the camera recording. And I just bypassed the mini with no change, so I need to figure out how to confirm video is going in one end of the gimbal and coming out the other, or not. Pin on the end of the gimbal ribbon cable is the video, and I think the next pin is the grnd, but ohm meter is not helping find matching points at the camera's gimbal plug in.

Well you were correct, traced the problem to somewhere within the gimbal. Fix was to buy cheap usb video plug, plug into gopro, run wiring into P2 as to avoid interfering with gimbal movement and splice directly into iOSD.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan